New Fastnet '79 Docu on ESPN - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-08-2015 Thread Starter

New Fastnet '79 Docu on ESPN

Ted Turner's Greatest Race - ESPN Films: 30 for 30
Minnewaska likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christian Williams For This Useful Post:
Sailormon6 (06-21-2015), Slayer (06-08-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-08-2015

Re: New Fastnet '79 Docu on ESPN

good flick
post #3 of 12 Old 06-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Williams View Post
Wow, Christian, you were aboard TENACIOUS for that race? Damn, I'm IMPRESSED...

:-)

I grew up racing against Jobson as kids on Barnegat Bay... Right from the start, everyone knew he was something special... Always a great pleasure to run into him from time to time, what a gentleman, he always pretends to remember me from those days :-)

I had the great pleasure of being one of the crew who delivered that boat (when she was owned by Lynn Williams, and named DORA IV) back from Mackinac to Chicago after the Pt Huron Race, for the start of the Chicago-Mac... Amazing boat, one of the all-time legendary yachts, and the voyaging she did as WAR BABY after Turner sold her to Warren Brown took her completely off the charts...

Very fond memories of that beauty... first photo I ever sold to YACHTING magazine, was a shot of her and RUNNING TIDE crossing the start line of the St Pete-Lauderdale Race in the late 70's...

Sadly, they don't make them like those sisters any more...

post #4 of 12 Old 06-21-2015

Pretty sick onboard shots for something that was filmed over 30 years ago in a murderous gale.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-21-2015

Now that's the kind of crew work I'd like to see out of my crew!

The 1979 Fastnet was a legendary race, and Tenacious was a legendary yacht filled with legendary personalities.

As I recall, the Fastnet storm passed over the eastern US before it crossed the Atlantic. The 1979 J24 Worlds were raced in the edge of that depression. I'll never forget a photo that was published at the time, of a J24, with spinnaker flying, with the whole bow lifted out of the water almost all the way back to the leading edge of the keel. Now those were some great sailors!
post #6 of 12 Old 06-22-2015
Old as Dirt!

Before anyone bestows accolades and laurels on Ted Turner, I suggest they read John Rousmaniere's book, "Fastnet, Force 10". Rousmaniere, a renowned author/sailor was a watch commander aboard the Swan 47, Toscana, that also competed in the race and penned his book/introspection in the months following the race with intimate knowledge and cooperation of many of the other competitors, their crewman, the officials of the Royal Ocean Racing Club and not least, the ship crews and air crews of the Royal Navy and boat crews of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution that rescued men from foundering yachts at the height of the storm. It is a sobering story. One aspect, although not an intention of the book, was the revelation of Turner's amazing lack of sportsmanship and relentless self promotion after Tenacious finished the race whereupon his only concern was whether he had won. In the lead up to the announcement of the race results Turner spent his time denigrating other boats/crews and many of the lost, applauding himself and his crew/boat (even though, being so much faster and farther ahead than the majority of the other boats that got caught by the storm, Tenacious did not face the height of the storm in the most hazardous reaches of the Western Approaches or over the infamous Labadie Bank) and praising his own courage (why..."I was more afraid of being afraid than I was afraid!"). With the reading, I lost what little respect I had left for Turner after witnessing/experiencing his intrusive, self-promoting, braggadocio during one of his visits to the St. Frances Yacht Club in '77. The man is very accomplished, no doubt, but...

FWIW...
eherlihy and dixiedawg like this.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 06-22-2015 at 10:44 AM. Reason: correct typo
post #7 of 12 Old 06-22-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
I lost what little respect I had left for Turner after witnessing/experiencing his intrusive, self-promoting, braggadocio during one of his visits to the St. Frances Yacht Club in '77. The man is very accomplished, no doubt, but...

FWIW...
I don't recall Ted Turner ever demonstrating much concern over whether anyone liked him, personally. He is a sailor who possesses great technical knowledge and skill. Like many champions, he knows how good he is, and isn't afraid to tell us all. Other champions of a similar temperament, just by way of example, are Muhammad Ali (I am the greatest!), Darnell Docket ( I know Iím arrogant and cocky and rich! BOOM, how you like me now?), Lebron ("King") James (insert your favorite boast here.) Some of my closest friends and associates have certain aspects of their personalities that I don't care for, but that doesn't detract from their demonstrated skills, and other good qualities, and, if you admire someone, it isn't difficult to forgive them their quirks.

It's easy to dislike anyone as rich, handsome, talented and successful as Ted Turner, but there's another side to him that should make his mother proud - he's one of the world's leading philanthropists.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-22-2015 Thread Starter

Pretty much everything said about Turner is true, he is simultaneously Donald Trump, Rocky Balboa and St. Augustine.

But he was also fun to be around. Loyal, in his way. Tolerant, a rare quality in billionaires. Self-invented. Cheap (to crew with him you bought your own plane tickets and he provided no swag).

It was a long time ago, but a long chapter on the storm experience as seen by the Tenacious crew is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lw59gq66sd...LFGOW.pdf?dl=0

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Christian Williams; 06-22-2015 at 02:55 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-22-2015

Most people I know wouldn't throw Jane Fonda a life ring, if she was surrounded by hungry sharks, but he married her. Then again, I wonder which got the boot.

Christian, btw, your vid on your singlehanded roundtrip, LA to Hawaii, is one of my all time favs! Are you ever really alone, if you have your thoughts and memories of those you love (or something to that effect). Great line.

This Fastnet docu was good too.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-22-2015

Thanks for a fascinating read, Christian. Although I have great respect for the opinions of John Rousmaniere, I have always believed that he was excessively harsh in his comments about Turner at the time. Turner's first duty was to his own crew. The fact that you all got back safely is a tribute to a well designed boat, a good crew and a good skipper.

Last edited by Sailormon6; 06-22-2015 at 05:32 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in