The Ghost of Wild Oats XI - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Scotty C-M
  • 1 Post By blt2ski
  • 1 Post By capta

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-11-2018 Thread Starter

The Ghost of Wild Oats XI

The 2017 Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race saw Wild Oats XI stripped of her record breaking line honours victory because of an infringement, with LDV Comanche, shortly after race start. To me it seemed important for folks to know how the yacht, Wild Oats XI, felt about the race result. The ghost will hang around until the race record is broken again; I wonder how many years that will be?

fair winds,
Jane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-11-2018
Catalina 400 MKII

Re: The Ghost of Wild Oats XI

Nice video. Thanks.

No ghosts though, just a port tack start. Pay the penalty and keep on racing. Today the US swimming team lost it's gold metal, and a race record, in a relay race because two swimmers went in the wrong order. It happens in sports. Happens in life to, I guess.
No Drama likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-11-2018

I take it WOXI did not do her turns for infringing on Comanche? Dump mistake frankly on WOXI's part!

Marty
No Drama likes this.

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!

post #4 of 8 Old 08-11-2018
Master Mariner

I don't get your point.
I haven't raced since the 70's, so I'm certainly not up on any racing-specific rules, but if someone had done that to me while I was out day sailing, I think I'd be a tad pissed, and they'd be lucky if there was any sort of committee around to arbitrate my response.
No Drama likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 8 Old 08-11-2018 Thread Starter

Yes, you are right it does happen in sport and life . Wow to the US relay team ~ that will haunt them for a while. Wild Oats XI was given a one hour time penalty for not performing a 360 degree turn (only a 360 turn was required as the infringement happened inside Sydney Harbour) and they lost line honours as a result

fair winds,
Jane

post #6 of 8 Old 08-11-2018

What is amazing to me is the owner can afford 11 maxi yachts but can't afford a decent tactician. To me it looked like they would have passed ahead of the other boat, but they were there and I am only watching on youtube. Once they tacked they fouled the other boat, who had to alter course. Once they fouled they should have taken their turns.

The tactician owes the boat owner and crew a beer.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #7 of 8 Old 11-21-2018

That was just WOW..!!! Thanks for sharing the video.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-21-2018

I remember seeing the incident on another website shortly after the race happened and wondered why WO thought they would not be penalized. Arrogance? During one race this year in our Wednesday Night series one of the spinnaker fleet boats (I race JAM) turned the first mark on the wrong side. Even after other racers courteously advised him on the radio of his error, he stuck with it and finished the race rounding the wrong side on the subsequent 2 marks. This skipper and crew are "big fish" in our little pond, usually contending for the overall series' wins. When he was officially protested after the race he threw quite a fit, with hollering and ungentlemanly language. This guy is serious about his racing, but like Wild Oats, I wonder why he thought he'd get away with it. Arrogance perhaps?

Tags
ldv comanche , sydney to hobart , wild oats xi

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in