Spinnaker shackles - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 10-05-2014 Thread Starter
Once known as Hartley18

Dock
Spinnaker shackles

Had a crummy day out on the water yesterday.

It should have been great: it was fine and sunny, winds 5-10kts. The sea was a bit lumpy but there were 16 yachts of various sizes all trying to get around the course - which included a really long run lazy back home... and, for me, that's where it all went pear-shaped.

Although my yelling from down aft probably didn't help, despite a pre-race practice run, on a wildly rolling deck my foredeck crew struggled to get the pole up. After what seemed like an ETERNITY back aft (probably only a minute or two) the kite was finally clipped on and hoisted, only to come fluttering down into the water leaving the open halyard snap glaring down at us from the top of the mast.

After having a Ronstan one explode on me last series, this was a real Wichard one too and not cheap! One of these:

Needless to say, we came last (I'm not competitive.. not much!) The unconfirmed theory from up the pointy end was that the ring 'must have caught on something'. Yeah suuuure...

Anyways, what do you guys use?!? Are the mega-expensive 'ringless' ones really as good as they're made out to be??

-
A bad day on a boat beats a good day in the office

Last edited by Classic30; 10-05-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-06-2014

Re: Spinnaker shackles

I can't tell you how much I hate those piston shackles. As you experienced they are very prone to opening, and it's difficult to guarantee that the shackle is fully closed.

They are far from cheap, but the Tylaska T5 shackles are my favorite. It's easy to tell if they are open, and I have never had one open accidentally.

Greg
post #3 of 21 Old 10-06-2014 Thread Starter
Once known as Hartley18

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
They are far from cheap, but the Tylaska T5 shackles are my favorite. It's easy to tell if they are open, and I have never had one open accidentally.
Thanks, Stumble. Wichard make a similar trigger snap - this one:

Maybe that's the way to go, but I do find it can be painfully difficult to open trigger snaps with your fingers if they haven't been regularly lubricated - to the point of needing a spike handy.

Another option for about half the price is one of these:

Thoughts??

-

post #4 of 21 Old 10-06-2014

never seen a shackle open by itself. if it was not latched it was the crews fault. if it got hung on something during a hoist it was the crews fault. over the years I have used every type of shackle and every time it opened accidentally it was the crews fault. tell the crew to latch the shackle first before they hoist.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #5 of 21 Old 10-06-2014
Old as Dirt!

I have never seen a properly seated snap shackle "pop" open. It does not take much rust/debris to prevent the pin from fully engaging the stirrup eye, however, and, with that the shackle appears to be closed but isn't locked. Clean up and polish the shackles and use a little SailKote on the pins and you'll be good to go.

FWIW...

PS: I should add that on our boat, we pass a length of black one-wrap Velcro tape through the cotter-ring on the pin and close that around the locked stirrup, just in case.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 10-06-2014 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Add addendum.
The Following User Says Thank You to svHyLyte For This Useful Post:
Classic30 (10-06-2014)
post #6 of 21 Old 10-06-2014

If you don't or can't tape them (my usual, but then I don't set chutes like monohulls do). If you leave the chute on deck in its bag, as we do, you can just tape the shackle and be done with it.

Otherwise, the answer is the trigger type. BTW if you read the directions to the trigger, it does say not to stick your fingers in there to open it - use a spike .

I've used both the trigger and the 'quick release' snap shackle (ergo both pictured above). My foredeck used to tape the quick release that we had, he never trusted it. IMO both of them are better than the common-variety snap shackle for spinnaker work - the little ring will snag your laundry or other things and either just plain tear stuff up or come open.

No matter what shackle is used, it is incumbent upon the foredeck to make sure the shackle is engaged, and upon the skipper to make sure they're cared for/lubricated...

--oh, forgot... two other options: the Equiplite shackle; the soft shackle. I have had two Equiplite shackles, both were swivelling type; I used them on a screacher setup but the shackle would be fine on a chute whether you use the swivel or not

Equiplite
APS - Equiplite High Tech Soft Shackles

Soft shackle
Soft Shackles

Last edited by Multihullgirl; 10-06-2014 at 09:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Multihullgirl For This Useful Post:
Classic30 (10-06-2014)
post #7 of 21 Old 10-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post

Maybe that's the way to go, but I do find it can be painfully difficult to open trigger snaps with your fingers if they haven't been regularly lubricated - to the point of needing a spike handy.

Thoughts??
The winchard trigger shackle probably works fine but I haven't used it. I have always leaned towards Tylaska since their manufacturing and QC processes are just better than other makers, but they are expensive.

I don't like the pull string type or soft shackles for a halyard since they require two hands to work properly, and spin halyards you are often in a rush to get attached. For sheets and other things I am a huge proponent of soft shackles.

And making sure you lube them... Well we lube everything after every day of racing. Like flaking sails it is just part of putting the boat away.

Greg
post #8 of 21 Old 10-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post

Thoughts??
I thought the problem was the halyard shackle. Those are clew shackles.

ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
post #9 of 21 Old 10-06-2014

If it's a rope/line halyard consider tying them on with a good ol' bowline... Put a swivel on the head of the kite to take care of twist.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #10 of 21 Old 10-06-2014 Thread Starter
Once known as Hartley18

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
If it's a rope/line halyard consider tying them on with a good ol' bowline... Put a swivel on the head of the kite to take care of twist.
I must admit I hadn't thought of that - although the spinnaker really needs to be clipped on and hoisted in fairly quick time (or unclipped even quicker and got below at the end of the run) so there isn't time to tie/untie a bowline.

Maybe I should take up cruising instead.. oh, wait, I live in Melbourne.

-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in