Golden Globe race 2018 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-23-2015 Thread Starter
1982 Skye 51

Golden Globe race 2018

Golden Globe Race 2018 - Live Sail Die

A nice idea and refreshing to get away from the ridiculous price tags of most modern-day races. However, the entrance requirements for the boats seem quite restrictive to me. In 1968 not all boats fit into those parameters.

I would like to see a revival of the original BOC rules/classes, or a modern take thereof, that would allow almost any true amateur sailor to enter. That is why I like the idea of invitation only--a certain level safety, seamanship and sea time would need to be proven to gain entry.

"The notion of life implies a certain absoluteness of self-enjoyment." -Alfred North Whitehead

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-23-2015

Re: Golden Globe race 2018

Good idea. Who will be the next Robin Knox Johnston? Or Crowhurst? A new Motissier would be refreshing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1968...w=1366&bih=631

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-23-2015

Oh, man, a big part of me wants to do this! The wiser part of me knows that the last part of Live-Sail-Die would probably arrive sooner than I'd like if I were to try...

post #4 of 11 Old 04-23-2015 Thread Starter
1982 Skye 51

One of my first thoughts was that I had plenty of time to make it back home and prepare for this! Unfortunately, I don't fit the very narrow size limits

aeventyr60, we definitely don't need another Crowhurst! and let's not forget that, despite being one of the best sailors (arguably the best) in the race, Moitessier abandoned his family for his second lap.
jerryrlitton likes this.

"The notion of life implies a certain absoluteness of self-enjoyment." -Alfred North Whitehead

post #5 of 11 Old 04-23-2015

^Yes, and Johnson donated his winnings to the Crowhurst family
jerryrlitton and obelisk like this.

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-24-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by obelisk View Post
One of my first thoughts was that I had plenty of time to make it back home and prepare for this! Unfortunately, I don't fit the very narrow size limits

aeventyr60, we definitely don't need another Crowhurst! and let's not forget that, despite being one of the best sailors (arguably the best) in the race, Moitessier abandoned his family for his second lap.
Yes, the size limits are rather narrow. If it wasn't for that my boat would be perfect (the boat,not me) I agree that Moitessier was probably was the best however ref the family part....we don't really know anything about that. The older I get the more I realize how mucked up things can be and nobody knows the story as well as you do......
Hey, why are the size limits so narrow? Does this mimick the size of the original boats?

Part time PADI instructor, part time sailor. Full time having a blast.

S/V TEMPTATION
Islander 44

post #7 of 11 Old 04-25-2015

I read this via my local magazine, and was excited and disappointed all in one go.
I love the idea of the taking it back to basics, corinthian spirited globe sailing, but
with such restrictions it is surely out of touch.

I'd seriously consider this, but not with those restrictions.
obelisk likes this.

One woman and her chihuahua attempting to find intergalactic oneness
somewhere by the South coast UK

visit the blog for the latest shenanigans

post #8 of 11 Old 04-25-2015

I was reading the requirements, not sure that the restrictions are that restrictive. Any body care to continue this restriction discussion?

post #9 of 11 Old 04-25-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
I was reading the requirements, not sure that the restrictions are that restrictive. Any body care to continue this restriction discussion?
for a start, all yachts must be longkeel. That's me out already.
even supposing I DID convert to longkeel for the adventure, the size restriction as given in the following quote from the yachting monthly news page on facebook would have me. I wouldnt want to do it in less than 40':

"The Race has been limited to 20 entrants, and by invitation only, sailing production boats of 32-36ft, long-keeled and with keel-hung rudders, designed before 1988. That specification, intended to ensure the race is run in boats similar to Sir Robinís Suhaili, restricts the range of designs to 13. However, the organisers may accept non-production yachts that fit the description."

One woman and her chihuahua attempting to find intergalactic oneness
somewhere by the South coast UK

visit the blog for the latest shenanigans

post #10 of 11 Old 04-25-2015 Thread Starter
1982 Skye 51

maybe restrictions is the wrong word but there is a very narrow description of acceptable boats. in fact, only one boat from the original 1968 race, Robin Knox-Johnston's Suhaili, fits the parameters.

Tags
boc , golden globe

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in