Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterman23 View Post
well unless theyre wearing zincs.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Was zinc even discovered in 2006?

PSC Orion 27
post #23 of 26 Old 05-09-2016
Otter

As an underwater welder and ships husbandry diver, I do lots on the side. Easiest war for soft marine growth is to get a a trowel handle a get some carpet scrap for the slime and soft stuff. For the big boys like commercial vessels and tankers I used a hydraulic scrubber. The fun stuff! Seriously though, anything soft enough to take minimal paint but enough to get the yuck off. I've done it that way and marinas always allow me to clean hulls in the slips and that includes pressure washing the running gear.

post #24 of 26 Old 05-10-2016

Re: How do you scrub your hull?

the zombi thread could use some regeneration:

Instead of a hooka, a simpler setup is a tank with a very long second stage hose. I find that a 50' hose is sufficient, I have a 40' boat. Tank lives onboard, you go in. It's a clean setup. I have a carabiner clip at my waist that keeps the hose tidy.

Instead of blowing the dosh on a fancy suction cup, an ordinary toilet plunger modified with a slightly bent bit of PVC works very well. Be sure to drill and install a lanyard on the outboard end of the handle, although I have still managed to lose the damn things lol

For scrubbing, the 3M Doodlebug, or WHITE scrub pad, is effective and gentle.

All this I learned from a very, um, controversial... forum patron, whose usual nick is something like FastBottoms, although the spelling varies fstbttms etc. Guy is a bottom cleaner in Calif and his advice has always been spot on if his patience with forumorons isn't. Fast Bottoms also has some video out, look on YouTube? Do a search on the sailing forums for the name, his posts should come up

and I have some "Bug Grabber" XS Scuba kevlar gloves, and those things are the absolute sh!t. The texture is such that you could actually just wear them and wipe light slime with your hand instead of using any sort of pad. And they don't block hand sensitivity too much so you can do fiddly things like change zincs.

and be damned sure to wear a hood and a suit of some sort. You really don't want that sh!t in your ears and on your body
Fstbttms likes this.

Last edited by ad28; 05-10-2016 at 07:39 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ad28 For This Useful Post:
Fstbttms (09-06-2016)
post #25 of 26 Old 05-10-2016
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

hire zombie to clean zombie boats. appropriate.
for my own boat i use a diver.
racing boats usually use hard paint, not ablative. they also haul out after each race. some haul n donot use bottom paint.
but then they have a lot of disposable income.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #26 of 26 Old 05-10-2016

Years ago when I was young didn't know better I used vc offshore put on with the utmost care with a thin roller then burnish it with a gray pad until you could see yourself in it. Well, at least thats the way I remember it. But the stuff would foul quicker than the green flash at sunset. Found myself cleaning the bottom almost every weekend but it was extremely easy maybe 20 minutes on a j/30.

Once I smarted up (got older didn't care) I switched to an ablative normally the cheapest with the thinking all are as bad as the next used the foam rollers scrubbed the bottom with a scrub deck type brush found that the least abrasive. I really don't worry that much about taking paint off actually I kind of want to see some e2000 when the boat is pulled. But the subbing wasn't as easy as the vc.

I'd scrub with a brush mask fins and one of those suction cup for picking up glass I get them from harbor freight works great gives you leverage. With age I got tired of holding my breath and hyperventilating so I got certified to scuba. A little side note if you do learn to dive DON'T! tell the instructor you're learning so you can clean the bottom of your boat, As a general rule dive master instructors are narcissistic a holes (not you Otter) and will make it very hard on you.

So thats how I've been doing it for I don't know how many years now my boat 32 foot 29 lwl and takes a little over an hour to do. That was until last year. Last year Jamestown had a deal you buy the paint and kicked in a suit and roller gloves the works. Being the New Englander that I am I used the free 3/8 nap roller leaving the bottom with a nice great fruit peel finish (orange peel would've been to nice). With the finish and an extremely high fouling season I was diving on the bottom like every two weeks using like a tank to clean the bottom close to a couple of hours each time. By the end of the season it was so bad when I was going to do my traditional last weekend sail out to Cuttyhunk Thanksgiving weekend the pickup was so fouled water couldn't get in. The unthinkable happened I didn't go and had her pulled.

All that got me thinking bottom paint is bottom paint there isn't a whole lotta difference they all foul in a week or two after launch some do better with barnacles but generally the same (that is if you don't know someone in the DOD that can get you some submarine pant). My approach this year is ease of scrubbing I figure the smoother the bottom the harder for the critters and grass to adhere. I took three days to flat boarding my bottom got all the peel off painted with a foam roller used a paint with the highest copper in it and burnished wet with a gray pad on a board.

So we'll see I'll let you know if it makes it easier...

Last edited by rckfd; 05-10-2016 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in