What sail material are racer/cruisers recommending these days? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 12-17-2015
Above 5 knots

Dock
Re: What sail material are racer/cruisers recommending these days?

I've done sails for a much smaller boat a Capri 25, headfoil 2, and went with epsails, using loadpath... I went from mid fleet, to number 2 for the year (same crew/same boat/same lousy driving, and was within a quarter point from the leader)...

I was really happy with the service I got, the time they took to understand how I sail, and they shipped it before I needed it. I bought 3 sails in 2 years, a 155 heavy number 1, a 135 number 2, and a main, all to match...

They also stood out nicely on the race course. I'm scraping together my pennies now, to order a new main from them for my S2 (I'll likely be getting a number 1 shortly thereafter). Ignore that I hadn't fixed the skirt in this picture, we were about 50 feet from the line and had JUST tacked (RC took the picture, I'm yelling at them, the mark is behind my shoulder)... We won that race correcting over the guy directly behind me on the horizon (he knew it too which is why he's idling seeing how many seconds behind him we finished).
cb32863 likes this.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!

Last edited by SailingUphill; 12-17-2015 at 07:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SailingUphill For This Useful Post:
joyinPNW (12-18-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 12-17-2015

That's a seriously beautiful pair of sails, can't pretend you aren't really trying when you show up at the start with those. I notice you left the BBQ and dinghy engine on the rail, nice touch. I had a friend that had a fake inflatable BBQ and satellite dish to put on the rail for a charity regatta.

"Just call me TB"

Last edited by capttb; 12-17-2015 at 11:44 AM.
post #13 of 24 Old 12-17-2015

Joy, welcome to the racing world. It's not hard to easily spend $20~30k seasonally to keep a 35 footer in new sails. And this is just regional racing. Go big time like the M32 and being a paltry millionaire won't allow you to complete.

Cruising is a bit more affordable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shockwave For This Useful Post:
joyinPNW (12-18-2015)

post #14 of 24 Old 12-17-2015

Here is an unbiased description of various options:

https://store-cwqft4h4.mybigcommerce...pecifications/

Laminates look cool and maintain shape better, but when they fail, it is catastrophic. Dacron stretches slowly. Neither is perfect. IMHO HydraNet Radial is expensive, but offers the best of both worlds.

Atlantis
Hylas 44
Annapolis
The Following User Says Thank You to jsaronson For This Useful Post:
joyinPNW (12-18-2015)
post #15 of 24 Old 12-17-2015

I purchased a Pentex #1 from Ballard Sails (Shilshole) a few years ago. We like the sail.. It sets well and is fast. Really like the service from Ballard Sails, and they provide great customer service. It's a bonus that they make the sails in house (In most circumstances)

We don't keep it on the furler, we only use it for racing (we're casual racers).. We keep the sail in a sausage bag.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
post #16 of 24 Old 12-18-2015

Hi Joy!
I sail a 35-foot masthead, 1971 C&C. Primarily racing, but do more cruising/singlehanding than a lot of racers in my area.
My boat came to me a few years ago with 14 sails. None of them are much use for racing, so I've been systematically trying to rebuild the inventory.

2 years ago, I bought a North sails laminate #1 that is good from 2kn-12kn true. Like others have stated about their new high-performance sails, I took home 8 flags that year - having previously won only 1. This spring, I was intent on filling the next 'hole' in my inventory, and buying a top-quality #2....until another sailmaker (Haarstick Bay sails in Hamilton, ON) advised me that a #2 would never get used. So, I bought a good Dacron #3 from him. The idea is that I carry the North #1 in light to medium air, and once I get into 12+kn, I go directly to the #3. That philosophy worked really, really well for us this year. I seldom have to spend much time thinking about what sail to put up, and I'm confident in both headsails, so I never have to 'talk myself' into putting up a higher quality sail that is poorly suited for the conditions.

Moral of the story, Joy, is consider buying fewer sails for the inventory, and spend your hard-earned money on the best you can afford. I would also second the recommendation to buy as local as you can. It's amazing how much insight and knowledge the guy who MADE your sail can impart to you about how to FLY your sail.

Best of luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to aelkin For This Useful Post:
joyinPNW (12-18-2015)
post #17 of 24 Old 12-18-2015 Thread Starter
landofrainandgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post
I purchased a Pentex #1 from Ballard Sails
They are our choice as well--great service. They made our number 3 and it's holding up well.

Really appreciate the advice given in this thread. It's helped us hone in on what best suits our needs and I like the advice of using an AP #1 up to the limit and switching to #3. Ballard told us that while we gave 12 knots as the limit for our new sail, most will bump up against that so their sail is for up to 15. We'll add a layer of taffeta to (hopefully) give us a bit more life out of it, too.

Joy
Folie a Deux
PNW
post #18 of 24 Old 12-18-2015
Lake Sailor

When I got new sails for my First 235 back in January, got a great deal in the off season by the way, I went with Mylar/Kevlar for my 135% furling genoa and Dacron for my main. Both were $800 as I bought them at the same time. Reason for a Dacron main was that it would take the flogging a main gets more than a laminate. I will eventually go all laminate but, I need to get my $$ out of these and we are just staring to build the racing program for my boat. I got my sails from Sommerset in NY.

2 cents.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 24 Old 12-18-2015

Take a look at Warp Drive by Challenge. I purchased a new main and genny with it a couple of season's ago. I couldn't justify the cost or longevity of a laminate.
post #20 of 24 Old 12-18-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinPNW View Post
They are our choice as well--great service. They made our number 3 and it's holding up well.

Really appreciate the advice given in this thread. It's helped us hone in on what best suits our needs and I like the advice of using an AP #1 up to the limit and switching to #3. Ballard told us that while we gave 12 knots as the limit for our new sail, most will bump up against that so their sail is for up to 15. We'll add a layer of taffeta to (hopefully) give us a bit more life out of it, too.
This is a key reason to employ a local sailmaker, as they understand local conditions. Let's face it, going from almost nothing to 15 knots in a short period of time is pretty common around these parts

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in