SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Racing (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/)
-   -   What sail material are racer/cruisers recommending these days? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/230209-what-sail-material-racer-cruisers-recommending-these-days.html)

blt2ski 12-26-2015 12:24 PM

Re: What sail material are racer/cruisers recommending these days?

Joy,

To add one in here. You might find a really light drifter is nice for the days that the winds are under 5-7 knots. They can be made of 3oz nylon, and are cheap $$ wise.

Ballard do seem to be good folks. The folks at Ullman also are. They have a tri-radial laminate that is a strong puller. Usually about 10% more cost than decent dacron. But the pulling power is about 60% of the difference between dacron and a string sail, ie Ullmans fiberpath. I believe Ballard can get the same cloth. It is a panel sewn sail so cheaper labor cost than a tri-radial sail.

I would not go with norlam, as it stretches quicker than dacron.

There have been some blustery days earlier this month! Other than the round vashion day......a driftfest from what I understand.....

marty

bobperry 12-26-2015 01:28 PM

"Norlam" just means a laminated sail made by North. There are several fabrics that can be called Norlam. I had a Norlam genny on the Valiant 409 and it was one of the best sails I have ever owned.

The Ballard Sails guys are top notch. As is Jack at the Seattle North loft.

joyinPNW 12-26-2015 01:46 PM

The Ballard folks met us at the loft on Christmas Eve morning just so that we could look over the various cloths. We're thinking of going with a black x-tech with aramid scrim. Seems it'll give us the features we're looking for at a (somewhat) reasonable price. Any additional thoughts on the Aramid? From what we've read about the carbon fill, it's prone to the carbon fracturing.

Yes, the Vashon race was a wet drifter mess! Our patience paid off but we got smacked in the Squaxin Island race!

blt2ski 12-27-2015 04:14 PM

Glad someone got some good use of a norlam/dacron mylar mix sail cloth. Most I know are a bit disappointed in the cost longevity ratio standpoint. I do note the pentax or other cloths like the tri radial Ullman use, seem to have better longevity/performance reviews for the extra cost vs "a good" dacron. I'm using GOOD dacron as you can buy some 2nd and 3rd generation back cloths still online from some sources. So the good is a recent version that will cost more.

I will admit, I do like my 155 fiberpath from a racing standpoint. I also have a 140 that in hindsight, should be a 130 or 135 for daysailing, delivery etc use that is the Tri-radial or CAL cloth when I bought it. Pulls surprisingly well for what it is vs the 155. I should have gotten the main of this material vs string. The 200ft main vs a 350 155 makes in my boats case, the headsail being the main puller. So it being of a lower but still decent quality cloth would more than likely not keep me out of the winners circle. A 130-135 would pass around the mini forestay easier than the 140+lp does. More power for double handing etc than a 110, but still able to pass around the mini stay easy enough.

I find I can use the 155 locally upwards of 18-20 knots depending upon summer vs COLD winter days in the 13-15 knot range. My 110 norlam is used after this as others have noted. Altho at times, we will drop to the 140. The norlam for its use is a bit stretched sooner than I was hoping.

Marty