41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 99 Old 05-03-2016
Once known as Hartley18

Dock
Re: Non-racer etiquette?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albrazzi View Post
Good advise but not many of those guys on here.
Actually there may be more here than you realise.. generally the same ones happy to motor through an anchorage at hull-speed.

..not that anyone would own up to doing that of course..

-
A bad day on a boat beats a good day in the office
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 99 Old 05-03-2016
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
"Such legislation (COLREGS) is simply not applicable to private yacht racing in which the participants have voluntarily adopted a different set of rules of the road for application among themselves."
Exactly.

That is the finding I alluded to in the past when we discussed it in the other thread. And, in the context of this thread, it gets really hairy when you have racing and non-racing boats in the same area but not clearly distinguishable - such as the start of an off-shore PHRF race I did a couple of times: the Harvest Moon Regatta. Almost 200 boats of all kinds milling about near a channel marker at the Galveston Jetties...

...with cruising boats coming up that same channel to head into the Gulf.

A very confusing mix of public and private - COLREGS and RRS.

Anyway, I flogged this one pretty good in the other thread. So I'll let it lie. This thread just reminded me of the other.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-03-2016 at 09:33 PM.
post #63 of 99 Old 05-03-2016
Once known as Hartley18

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Exactly.

That is the finding I alluded to in the past when we discussed it in the other thread. And, in the context of this thread, it gets really hairy when you have racing and non-racing boats in the same area but not clearly distinguishable - such as the start of an off-shore PHRF race I did a couple of times: the Harvest Moon Regatta. Almost 200 boats of all kinds milling about near a channel marker at the Galveston Jetties...

Smacky, it's really very simple: whoever yells loudest gets right of way.

I'm sure that's in the COLREGS somewhere, 'cause I have yet to come across a go-fast chunk of plastic that didn't think otherwise..
smackdaddy likes this.

-
A bad day on a boat beats a good day in the office

post #64 of 99 Old 05-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Exactly.

...with cruising boats coming up that same channel to head into the Gulf.

A very confusing mix of public and private - COLREGS and RRS.

Anyway, I flogged this one pretty good in the other thread. So I'll let it lie. This thread just reminded me of the other.
This is why for big regattas it worth it to get an exclusion zone set for the racI area. I have done it a few times, and it really makes things easier. Even busy channels can normally be shut down for a couple of hours.

The other option is very distinctive flags for race boats. We have used 6' neon green streamers from the backstay in past races.
smackdaddy and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Greg
post #65 of 99 Old 05-03-2016
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
This is why for big regattas it worth it to get an exclusion zone set for the racI area. I have done it a few times, and it really makes things easier. Even busy channels can normally be shut down for a couple of hours.

The other option is very distinctive flags for race boats. We have used 6' neon green streamers from the backstay in past races.
No way they are going to shut down the Galveston Shipping Channel. Also, though I don't know for sure, I don't think there is an exclusion zone for the race - at least not one that a cruising boat would notice.

We did have flags - but, again, a cruising boat wouldn't have necessarily noticed them.

Anyway, it's a place and a race that's ripe for this kind of conflict.
post #66 of 99 Old 05-04-2016
CF Escapee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Not so sure that would always work. We had a 44' race boat in the slip next to us in a past marina. It raced every weekend, with a crew of 20 somethings, all in matching crew uniforms.

One day, they came back into their slip, shortly after we did. My wife said we had a nice sail and asked if they did as well. Their response was to gesture with their index finger like they were pressing a button and said, "that's sailing"?

Same boat would enter various Rolex sponsored races, which always get a Rolex decal attached to each side of the bow of all entrants. They would leave theirs attached for weeks after the race. You get the picture.
Around here in the PNW, most powerboats that have gone 30 miles North, wear their Canada courtesy flag like a badge of honor.
"LOOK AT ME ! I'VE BEEN TO CANADA ! (whoop de do).
They NEVER take it down. It's almost like getting a South Pacific tattoo.
post #67 of 99 Old 05-04-2016

In the OPs example, a motoring sailboat is completely distinct from the racing fleet. Colregs all day long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #68 of 99 Old 05-04-2016
HANUMAN

I like it when they inform you that they are racing, as if it gives them a special privilege. Don't get me wrong, I go out of my way for them, it's just that most of them are jerks.

Why do they choose to race across channels? Last summer, coming into Jamestown I watched a the Pilot boat and harbor master's boat go blaring through a race trying to clear the way for a container ship that was blazing it's horn OBVIOUSLY trying to get out of Narragansett Bay without killing some of them. Yet they really thought they could just keep on.

I wonder if Darwin watched amateur sailboat races as he pondered why the runt of the litter rarely survived?
Minnewaska and MarkofSeaLife like this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #69 of 99 Old 05-04-2016

Dock

Darwin did have a circumnavigation under his belt... so maybe yes

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #70 of 99 Old 05-04-2016

On a prior boat was going south cruising with the bride. Wind picked up so decided to tuck into Newport Wind from east so surfing by castle rock in following seas.
Apparently too windy to race. Got
buzzed on both sides by 2 of the fleet as we were surfing in teens well above hull speed. Both boats looked like fully crewed open racers. Their passing caused waves to break. They scared me and the bride as they didn't appear on the screens and just popped into vision out of the rain. No reason for them to clear us by just a few feet. Especially in those conditions. Yes we cruisers can be rude unnecessarily to racers and this is abhorrent But it's a two way street on occasion.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in