Everglades Challenge Boat Thoughts - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 Old 09-10-2016 Thread Starter

Everglades Challenge Boat Thoughts

My sailing partner and I are preparing ourselves for the 2018 Everglades Challenge in the monohull sailboat class. I thought I would start a thread to see if any small boat sailors or dinghy racers have any thoughts on boat choice and why they would chose that boat.

We have a few criteria that I don't think are too constrictive.

We both have small children and mortgages, so we are budget conscious, definitely a used boat.

We want a production boat. We considered building, but there just isn't time. We also don't want to buy some one else's home built project so that rules out boats like the Core Sound 17 or a Navigator, unless built at a professional level of quality.

We're okay with wood or glass, if it's the right boat, but would prefer glass.

For any one unfamiliar with the Everglades Challenge it is a 300 mile non stop "challenge" down the coast of Florida with extended off shore sections (at least for the sailboats). The boat must be beach launch able.

We do have a boat in mind but I don't want to say what it is and influence any answers given.

Last edited by Arcb; 06-06-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 09-10-2016
cdy

Re: Everglades Challenge Boat Thoughts

Seapearl 21 - you can usually find a older used on for $5K or a little less.
Or maybe something a little faster - Flying Scot - with spinnaker - although they pound into chop but will outpoint a SP -
Hobie 18 with wings - for much faster - but wetter - no way I would spend 3-4 days on a Hobie though - just depends on how much you want to rough it.
The Following User Says Thank You to cdy For This Useful Post:
Arcb (09-11-2016)
post #3 of 55 Old 09-10-2016 Thread Starter

No, we're not looking to rough it any more than we need to. 38 degree weather with 20 knots of wind and driving spray is roughing it enough for us already. We would actually prefer something with a bit of a tent or dodger for the off watch guy.

Sea Pearl is a boat we have considered. Heavy though. A smaller equivalent would be ideal.

We have considered a traditional dinghy like a flying Scott, but smaller due to weight. An Enterprise was on our list for a while, but we crossed it off because we decided we didn't want to swim the length of the Everglades. Traditional dinghies are still on our list- if we can find the right one. We used to sail Fireballs, so we would need less training time on a similar boat.

post #4 of 55 Old 09-10-2016

Fairly fast yet very forgiving - a Flying Scot. But I see that already suggested.
Shorter and slower, but with some shelter to rest in - a Peep Hen or Mud Hen.
In between the above two entries -a Daysailer 3 (has more freeboard than a 1 or 2).

Last edited by Michael K; 09-11-2016 at 12:41 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael K For This Useful Post:
Arcb (09-11-2016)
post #5 of 55 Old 09-11-2016 Thread Starter

I can't ignore two recommendations for the Scott.

I have also thought more about CDYs recommendation of a Sea Pearl. In spite of there weight, they are top finishers in the challenge, but so much money.

Any thoughts on a Wayfarer? Or a Fireball?

Fireballs are fast and seaworthy, but impossible to row efficiently. Plus no sleeping on board.

Wayfarers are less fast but can be slept on. Better to row than a fireball.

Last edited by Arcb; 06-06-2017 at 07:47 AM.
post #6 of 55 Old 09-11-2016 Thread Starter

We spent the day out touring half a dozen Ottawa area yacht clubs today and looked at quite a few boats.

We ruled out Wayfarers. Too small for two guys for a week off shore.

We also ruled out Fireballs, cockpit is too small.

I think we ruled out most conventional dinghies, they just aren't designed for adventure racing.

However, we have added several Catamarans to our list of maybes, particularly the Hobie 16.

Any other Catamarans well suited to adventure racing? We need a boat with a load capacity in the neighbourhood of 750-800 pounds and most performance cats in that size range are very restricted by weight, but the raised tramp on the Hobie 16 permits bigger loads.
post #7 of 55 Old 09-11-2016

Hobie Tandem Islander, or Getaway (with racks) are so common they get their own class. Unless you want to get exotic and have a lot of experience in this type of boat I would stick with one of those.

Greg
The Following User Says Thank You to Stumble For This Useful Post:
Arcb (09-11-2016)
post #8 of 55 Old 09-11-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks stumble,

I do have considerable dinghy sailing experience, but very little of it is on a beach cat. A few weeks in Cuba and Antigua- that's it. That's why cats weren't even on my list originally.

I did look at an Islander today, I know they're popular but it looks pretty uncomfortable for sleeping. I will keep the Islander Tandem on my list if I find one for the right price.

I haven't seen a Getaway in person. The self furling jib is a nice feature, but it doesn't look like it's possible to add reef points to the main, this is a serious concern for me.

We are looking to buy the boat now for the 2018 race because we plan on putting a couple hundred training hours on whatever boat we get next season on Lake Ontario.

Last edited by Arcb; 09-11-2016 at 08:34 PM.
post #9 of 55 Old 09-11-2016

Oh, so now you want a multihull, eh! Now my answer is a Super Cat 17. And you won't have to travel too far to find one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael K For This Useful Post:
Arcb (09-11-2016)
post #10 of 55 Old 09-11-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael K View Post
Oh, so now you want a multihull, eh! Now my answer is a Super Cat 17. And you won't have to travel too far to find one.
Ya, you are right, there is one in Sudbury for $1500 Canadian, that's only about a 4 or 5 hour drive.

Boats are always so cheap up there because the sailing season is so short.

Edit: The Catamaran idea came into focus at the Aylmer Marina standing looking at a the less than shoulder width barely hip width bilge we would be sleeping in in a Mark 2 Wayfarer and then looking at the relatively giant trampoline on the Hobie 18 beside it. So much of a Challenge like this is staying comfortable and nourished.

Last edited by Arcb; 09-11-2016 at 11:06 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in