Gybing spinnaker on J24 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-02-2017 Thread Starter

Gybing spinnaker on J24

Any tips for trimming the spinnaker through a gybe to keep it flying? I have been sort of winging it. I make sure there is enough slack on the new guy so the foredeck can set the pole, and I trim in the new sheet. I do ok, but the spin still collapses some times. So can someone walk me through it or offer some tips?
affiligate likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slayer For This Useful Post:
affiligate (07-26-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-02-2017

Re: Gybing spinnaker on J24

Full crew? Or short handed?

Double handed we always square up and gybe from close to DDW. Ease the sheet till the kite is under trimmed but still flying. That way when you swap the pole across the pole isn't over square on the new gybe. Works for us, anyhow.

We punch in a 20 deg course change on the AP, I do the pole and my wife gibes the main and handles the downhaul. If the sheet and guy are properly preset they don't need to be touched until I'm back in the cockpit.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 12 Old 02-02-2017

It's a rhythm thing. You need three things to pretty much happen at the same time.
1) the spin (as it's released from the pole) shifts to the center at the same time
2) the main crosses the center at the same time
3) the transom crosses the center of the wind

Often it's the main that is lagging behind the other two.

So in an ideal world, the wind is blowing at 180awa just as the main hits the boats centerline and the center of the spin is on the centerline. This minimizes the wind shadow that the spin suffers from.
Faster likes this.

Greg

post #4 of 12 Old 02-03-2017

... and bad gybes can often be traced back to an impatient helmsperson. A smooth turn in sync with the crew works wonders.

Since the person at the back of the boat has the best view of what's going on, making the course change in tune with what's happening up front will work better than hoping the crew is in sync with the helm..

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 02-03-2017 at 12:16 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-03-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
... and bad gybes can often be traced back to an impatient helmsperson. A smooth turn in sync with the crew works wonders.

Since the person at the back of the boat has the best view of what's going on, making the course change in tune with what's happening up front will work better than hoping the crew is in sync with the helm..
I actually blame the main trimmer most of the time. At least so long as the mast guy doesn't mess up disconnecting the pole a collapsing spin I see normallythe fault of a main trimmer getting it over too slow.

But then I drive, so....
Faster likes this.

Greg
post #6 of 12 Old 02-05-2017
ASA and PSIA Instructor

To me the most critical issue is that the crew trimming the spinnaker keep it square to the wind direction through out the jibe, otherwise it will tend to collapse regardless of what else is or is not happening.

When the spinnaker is off the pole it's angle to the wind is more difficult to eyeball so I try to have one person coordinate the simultaneous adjusting of both lines. In a J24 one person can handle both the sheet and guy alone, one in each hand, focused on keeping the sail square.

The trick is to rotate the spinnaker the opposite direction of the jibe, so the sail in effect keeps a constant, correct angle to the wind as the boat turns beneath it.
Faster and Slayer like this.

Certified...in several regards...

Last edited by sailingfool; 02-05-2017 at 09:12 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-05-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
To me the most critical issue us that the crew trimming the spinnaker kept it square to the wind direction through out the jibe, otherwise it will tend to collapse regardless of what else us or is not happening.

When the spinnaker is off the pole it's angle to the wind is more difficult to eyeball so I try to have one person coordinate the simultaneous adjusting of both lines. In a J24 one person can handle both the sheet and guy alone, one in each hand, focused on keeping the sail square.
Wait, you don't have yarn on your shrouds to make seeing the wind easy? Eye-guessing is really hard, wind indicators all over the boat are far easier.

Greg
post #8 of 12 Old 02-05-2017
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Wait, you don't have yarn on your shrouds to make seeing the wind easy? Eye-guessing is really hard, wind indicators all over the boat are far easier.
Knowing the wind direction is not the challenge, it's judging the squareness to that wind of a line between of the tack and clew of the spinnaker without a pole as a reference.

Certified...in several regards...
post #9 of 12 Old 02-06-2017

Keys to learning how to gybe:
Helmsman learns to sail spin without pole, practice just that to start. Getting real good sailing wing on wing sailed with a jib to where you don't even think about it helps .
Once you have that person, practice gybing the pole same way every time. Sheet in hand up to the mast release from mast, clip in new gye releasing the old while securing the new end on the mast and shouting MADE!
But most important a trimer that knows not to do a damn thing through the gybe until he hears the word MADE! and knows why...
Slayer likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-01-2017

I find twing lines to be very helpful during jibes

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in