Non Racing Sailors - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 87 Old 04-10-2019

Re: Non Racing Sailors

I donít race. I donít care to. A good day on the lake is breezy enough to demand that I be skillful, but calm enough not to freak out my passengers. We are there for each other, not for a trophy.

Renae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 87 Old 04-10-2019 Thread Starter

Perhaps a corollary to the OP... how many sailors do nothing but club racing? no cruising and no day sails with no goals but to enjoy the wind and waves?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #43 of 87 Old 04-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Perhaps a corollary to the OP... how many sailors do nothing but club racing? no cruising and no day sails with no goals but to enjoy the wind and waves?
That's not me, but many years ago, I had 'that boat' in the next slip. It was owned by a very wealthy local guy, whose rich kid exclusively raced it. He would have a half dozen of his "rich kid" buddies aboard, all dressed in matching monogrammed bibs, shirts, etc.

I have nothing against their money, I'm using the moniker in it's most denigrating stereotype. Snotty and privileged. Dad wasn't like that at all, but it's sad to see the kids act that way, given they've accomplished nothing in their lives yet.

One day, we get back to our slip after a nice day sail. Good wind. Lots of fun. They return from a race, while we're cleaning up. My wife looks over and says "beautiful day to sail, wasn't it?" The POS kid looks over and says "That's sailing?" and motions his finger like he's pressing a button, obviously referring to our powered winches.

My wife was just trying to be friendly. She'd spit on him in public, if she ever saw him again. Yes, it left a mark.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #44 of 87 Old 04-10-2019 Thread Starter

I see some boats that are clearly only for racing... solings, etchells and some larger... so I am sure the genre exists.

post #45 of 87 Old 04-10-2019
Lake Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
There are many sailors at my club that only race and that is due to the boat they have. "Cruising" a J/70 or J/24 or J/22 really is not in the cards. Day sailing, sure, the 70 is fun for that but the 24 is not all that fun to be on. The 22 is not that great either. So those of us in PHRF, the S2 7.9's, the Ensigns, Capri 25's, and event the Sonars will at least day sail. There are some that sail in these boats that all they do is race. I find that to be a waste of a boat. I bought my 235 to race sure, but, I also bought it to enjoy a day on the water with my first mate and some overnights. We don't really go anywhere as we are on a lake but, we can have as much fun and enjoy the day as we can.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #46 of 87 Old 04-10-2019

I would say my local lake consists of mostly racers of some description. The lake has no navigable exits due to power dams and is only about 27 square miles total. There are maybe 1000 boats on it? (guesstimate by counting clubs and marinas). Boats range from dinghies to 35, 36 ft keel boats.

There just isn't any where to go, all clubs and marinas are bunched up in the widest section in the South West of the lake. So a big percentage of sailors there are racers, it seems like the best way to make use of a small body of water.

This was why I started trailer sailing, so I could get to other more navigable water ways.
SanderO likes this.
post #47 of 87 Old 04-10-2019

Personally, I find many race boats a blast to day sail. In fact, I don't understand why you would buy a cruising boat for day sailing; most are pretty dull, since they are hauling around a lot of stuff you don't need, like pretending driving a Winnebago is fun. A sports car is fun. The Alerion Express makes the point.

And that is why I downsized from my cruising cat; I was done cruising and I always liked smaller, quick boats. I can reef when I want slow, and still have sharp handling.
SanderO likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #48 of 87 Old 04-10-2019

I participated in Wednesday evening races for 10 seasons on another guy's boat but I "retired" about 5 years ago and haven't participated in a single race since. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was having to show up several weeks in a row when temperatures were 90-something degrees with 5ish knots of wind. The downwind legs were absolutely hellish and I just got tired of feeling obligated to go out in those conditions. The dogged insistence of beer can racing clubs on setting upwind-downwind courses in all most all conditions is puzzling and infuriating when reaching courses would be much more fun in light wind.

More than that, while I do credit racing with teaching me many valuable lessons about sail trim/control, boat handling, and weather/wind assessment and giving me more confidence to sail in a broad range of conditions, I came to a point where I felt those years of racing had taught me as much as they could and going through basically the same motions every week ceased to be fun. There was certainly a lot about racing tactics left for me to learn, but that was not likely to happen in a second-tier beer can racing club.

I’ll also add that racing my own boat has never seemed all that appealing - not just because of the cost of the "arms race" but due to the extreme difficulty of recruiting consistent, reliable crew. My observation was that the boats with the most solid and competitive crews tended to have a core group whose friendship often predated the ownership of the boat. Whether the boat was owned in a financial partnership or not, the core crew tended to act as de-facto partners, each recruiting additional crew from within their own networks, thus creating a hierarchical system that wasn’t dependent on the owner/skipper being solely responsible for recruitment and logistics.
BarryL and chef2sail like this.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30

Last edited by 4arch; 04-10-2019 at 11:46 AM.
post #49 of 87 Old 04-10-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Personally, I find many race boats a blast to day sail. In fact, I don't understand why you would buy a cruising boat for day sailing; most are pretty dull, since they are hauling around a lot of stuff you don't need, like pretending driving a Winnebago is fun. A sports car is fun. The Alerion Express makes the point.

And that is why I downsized from my cruising cat; I was done cruising and I always liked smaller, quick boats. I can reef when I want slow, and still have sharp handling.
Our boat is our second home... and so we drag stuff around. It's not slow boat but clearly not competitive for racing. We moor it not terribly far from our primary residence... but it's far enough away that it IS getting a way. Keeping a day sailor where we moor hardly makes sense.

post #50 of 87 Old 04-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post

Yeah if all you do is day sail, a cruising boat is not the way to go. Presumably you are going to cruise as well.

Same goes for racing. Why would you buy a cruising boat with an interior for racing? In many cases cruisers are raced simply because they want to get more use out of their boats, and racing is more interesting than just going out for a day sail. Because, as you say, daysailing a cruiser can be pretty dull. If you have a scheduled race followed by a social event you are less likely to leave the boat at the dock until your next trip.

Having said that, now that I have a bigger cruising boat I have enjoyed bringing guests out for a casual sail just to look at the scenery, and put out a nice lunch spread on the cockpit table! It's all very civilized!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in