• 5 Post By SchockT
  • 1 Post By SchockT
  • 1 Post By BarryL
  • 1 Post By jephotog
  • 2 Post By SchockT
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Unread 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Getting back into racing

In my younger days I raced at least 3 days a week year round. And then my son came along, and the focus became all about him, and the racing took a back seat to family cruising, hockey, soccer, etc.

This week some of the old gang started to get the Wednesday night program on a friend's Olson 30 Black Ice going again. The boat has been in the water with no antifouling since last June, so when we pulled it Tuesday night we had a full on artificial reef to deal with!

We got her cleaned up, and had a fantastic sail last night. We are all a bit rusty, and we were short handed, but damn it was good to get out there! Nothing like getting out racing on Wednesday to break up the work week routine!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
jephotog, BarryL, cb32863 and 2 others like this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Unread 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Getting back into racing

Indeed! I very much enjoy my Wednesday night races! Glad you're getting back into it.
post #3 of 8 Unread 2 Weeks Ago

Nice work. Few boats offer the racing bang for the buck as an Olsen 30.

post #4 of 8 Unread 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonian View Post
Nice work. Few boats offer the racing bang for the buck as an Olsen 30.
Yes they are very cool boats! I remember the first time the boat lit up onto a plane! Doing 13+kts on a 30 keelboat is quite a rush! I did the O30 Nationals at NOOD in San Francisco years ago...it was the most exciting and satisfying racing experience I have ever had!

jephotog likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #5 of 8 Unread 2 Weeks Ago

Hey,

Good for you. What a difference in the bottom between the before and after pictures. Amazing.

The sailing season is just starting on Long Island. My boat is in the water and ready to go. This year I will be racing my boat for the spring series. We will long distance races on my regular race boat, and then the summer series on his boat as well.

It should be a lot of fun,

Barry
SanderO likes this.

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Unread 2 Weeks Ago

Our Wednesday nights start next week. Hope it stops raining!
Attached Thumbnails
Eclipse moored 2018.jpg  

Last edited by paulk; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:22 AM.
post #7 of 8 Unread 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
We got her cleaned up, and had a fantastic sail last night. We are all a bit rusty, and we were short handed, but damn it was good to get out there! Nothing like getting out racing on Wednesday to break up the work week routine!

I am excited for you. Racing is a lot of fun. How else can you spend an evening getting yelled at by a mean skipper? How else can you rationalize cutting off people out daysailing? Let others think this is what racing is all about.

I have not raced in two years after sailing hard for 7 years. I am about to join my local (3-hour drive) yacht club and start to race my own boat. I have a lot to learn this summer.
Attached Thumbnails
20190422_132909.jpg  
BarryL likes this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Unread 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
I am excited for you. Racing is a lot of fun. How else can you spend an evening getting yelled at by a mean skipper? How else can you rationalize cutting off people out daysailing? Let others think this is what racing is all about.

I have not raced in two years after sailing hard for 7 years. I am about to join my local (3-hour drive) yacht club and start to race my own boat. I have a lot to learn this summer.
I don't race with screamers. Life is too short! The guys I race with are competitive, but relaxed. Everyone knows what they are doing, so there is never any panic.

As for people out daysailing, we give them all the rights they are entitled to and we expect the same from them. Recreational sailors are rarely a problem, it's asshats in powerboats that cause the most grief on the race course, but even that is fairly rare.

jephotog and SanderO like this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in