Merit 22 as a pocket cruiser. - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-16-2019 Thread Starter

Merit 22 as a pocket cruiser.

I decided to post this here as I think Iím more likely to find Merit 22 sailers here than in a cruising forum.
Iím thinking of grabbing a Merit 22 as a weekend trailer sailer pocket cruiser, maybe with some beer c an racing thrown in here and there. Having never sailed one Iím a little concerned about how tender it is. Canít find much out googling around so I thought I would ask here. It will be primarily a two person weekender and occasionally some cruising in the San Juan Islands and around Puget Sound. I donít mind if itís a little bit tender but I really donít want something that sticks a ear in the water every time thereís a little puff. I was steered away from an S2 6.9 for being a handful in a breeze without several on the rail, even reefed down. Iím a little concerned that the Merit will be similar. I donít mind about being a little bit tender but this is primarily for light cruising and I would prefer to not to be constantly battling the boat with every puff. Any thoughts on the merit being appropriate sporty light trailerable cruiser, or anything else that fits the bill for that matter?

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-16-2019
One of None

Re: Merit 22 as a pocket cruiser.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/merit-22.

Down at the bottom you'll see capsize screen, the closer to 2 more comfortable you would be,v but I'm no expert, I'm sure others will chime in.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #3 of 5 Old 08-16-2019

I have not sailed a Merit 22. But I will note you have some conflicting priorities.

Generally, a lighter boat with variable draft and a light easily stepped mast will be easier to trailer sail on a regular basis. Generally a heavier boat will feel less tender, especially if the weight is in the keel.

Just looking at the numbers on sailboat data the Merit 22 looks like it has a nice compromise that might make her a decent trailer sailer.

Last edited by Arcb; 08-17-2019 at 12:22 PM.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-17-2019

The capsize ratio is really not a measure of how stiff or tender a boat is, it is a measure of how likely the boat will right itself if overturned. In general a below 2 ratio will right itself, above 2 will not so much. How stiff a boat is is often the opposite, a high capsize ratio will be a stiff boat, but if it does go over, it won't right itself (it is also stiff upside down). Note that wind will not capsize a keel boat, it is waves that cause a capsize.

The Merit specs look like it will be fairly stiff, a wide beam, flat bottom, 30% ballast. This makes the boat stiff and generally will sail best at no more than 15 degrees of heel. Above 15 degrees it will sail horribly and will probably develop major weather helm before you bury the rail. It has lots of sail though, so you will be reefing often.
post #5 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I have sailed a merit 25 before it was a club boat, tt was tight below, I would guess the 22 footer is even tighter. I would analyze the space below to see if you could make it work.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in