Question: Am I too heavy for my company race team? - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Question Question: Am I too heavy for my company race team?

My Apknite company is starting a team/club that plans on racing 420ís. I used to sail as a child on 420ís and even then I was heavy with another person. I weight around 285.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Question: Am I too heavy for my company race team?

Enjoy your life and donít worry about it.

Sail trim and tactics win races. Yes, weight is technically a factor, but itís dominantly an excuse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

With no disrespect intended, the answer is,that you are too heavy to competitively race a 420. The ideal crew weight for a 420 is 240 to 300 lbs. That is the combined weight of the skipper and crew. At 285 lbs you alone are near the absolute upper limit of the ideal combined crew .

Ideally the individual crew weight falls in a range of 50-60% of the total combined crew weight in order to have the boat sit in it's proper trim and with optimum weight distribution.

There are some mix of four ways to look at your options here, 1) decide that it's not all that important to win since sailing is fun whether or not you win, 2) evaluate the competition and conclude that they have their own issues that might level the field, 3) go into training and perhaps target a weight loss in the 30-50 lb range.or 4) 420's are small boats for an adult crew. since 420s are pretty weight intolerant. So you might want to approach the company to see if there is an option to race some other class of boat that is more weight tolerant.

Regarding option #3, the reality is that ever increasingly those of us who try to race competitively routinely work out to maintain the required strength, weight, agility, and balance. I have raced on a boat where the three person crew needed to drop 40 lbs for a high level regatta. Over 5 weeks each of us diligently dieted and worked out and we got to our target weight. It was not easy.

Jeff
capta and Arcb like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:54 AM.

post #4 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago

The average weight of an American adult male is 195 lbs. Sure, we have a heavy nation, but you have to get into the Asian countries before two average adults are the ideal weight profile of a 420. They are designed for kids and those who were malnourished during their growth years.

No doubt, they arenít the best choice for an adult company sailing club. I highly doubt there will be many adult crews, who average 160 lbs each.

Still, if thatís what theyíve got, enjoy your life and go for it. I doubt many crews will be inside the ideal crew specs.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEELSLIKEHOME View Post
My Apknite company is starting a team/club that plans on racing 420ís. I used to sail as a child on 420ís and even then I was heavy with another person. I weight around 285.
If racing is your thing then go for it. I doubt the margin for victory for a company/beer can team will be your weight but will have more to do with sailing skill.

Currently Boatless

ďThe sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #6 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago

I think your overall body size combined with your agility/athleticism are more important, than strictly your weight, in terms of whether you can go out and have fun on a 420. I sailed 420s as a teenager with a cousin who competitively raced. Tons and tons of fun, but you need to be quick and nimble on these boats. The fact that they're designed to be sailed with a trapeze should tell you something. By all means, go for it and see how it goes. I'm sure you can sail, but sailing comfortably or proficiently may be more difficult for a bigger guy.
post #7 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago

I would say it depends on the sailing skills of your competitors. If you are experienced and they are not, the weight handicap would be likely offset by a skill differential. I tried to get on my college racing team but did not have the experience and needed a 100 lb captain to make up for my size at 170 lbs.

Can you influence the boat decision? You are better built for a keel boat. I am thinking grinder not on the bow.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #8 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The average weight of an American adult male is 195 lbs. Sure, we have a heavy nation, but you have to get into the Asian countries before two average adults are the ideal weight profile of a 420. They are designed for kids and those who were malnourished during their growth years.

No doubt, they arenít the best choice for an adult company sailing club. I highly doubt there will be many adult crews, who average 160 lbs each.

Still, if thatís what theyíve got, enjoy your life and go for it. I doubt many crews will be inside the ideal crew specs.
Minne's got a point about average weight. Maybe the company sailing club can incorporate a PHRF-like approach and handicap on the basis of crew weight. The downside is that some of the crew might not want their weight to be known, so maybe the publicized crew weight is the total, with individual weights left to the imagination.
post #9 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Dock

OK, let me pour another red wine....

Its impossible to give an honest reply to these types of posts because of rampant political correctness...

But I feel I am able to as I sexually identify as Chair With Large Legs and a Comfy Seat.
I use the Personal Pronoun as "We" as I nclude all 4 legs.

Now we are clear on that let me be brief: Look at Math: 285 into 420 don't go.

Loose your lard ass.

2 reasons:
You will be able to sail better,
and
You will live longer.

Its not easy to trim down. We are subjected to a full host of total BS in how to do it. I have slimmed using Low Carb (actually, virtually Zero Carb). Exercise doesn't make you lose weight (remember when your parents said, when you were a kid, 'go run around, you'll build an appetite'. ?)

The achievement, though, would be fantastic...: you'd again be able to sail one of the most agile skiffs in the world and drop the risk of diabetes, heart disease and stroke and reduce the chance of cancer, plus you will look hot and feel confident. Chicks will dig the trim you.

Good luck

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #10 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago

If you order a pizza..yum good..order it without crust.
No, nada, zippo bread for 2 years. Sentence yourself
Even if inactive you will dump theweight by ditching the carbs.
Look into it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in