AC75s - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 Old 10-17-2019

Re: AC75s

Foiling boats have been around for a while. Hobie produced one in the 90s called a Trifoil. Cool boats, used to see a guy zipping around Toronto Harbour with one with a helmet and ski goggles on.

I recently saw it come up for sale at a rwasonable price. It took considerable discipline no to buy it.

Heres an old promo vid of the Trifoil.

https://youtu.be/zXSgZCDVWOM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 Old 10-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I agree. That was my point. A bunch of billionaires fund the construction of the these machines and the professional sailors will never pass on a opportunity to crew an AC boat, regardless of the risk. It's gladiator-like. The billionaires watch for their amusement, while the sailors potentially get hurt. Maybe I'm being too dramatic.

On the other hand, the AC should clearly be a test bed for new design and technology. It's been that way, since the original America (a model replica of which sits in my office, btw). This proving ground has been very good for our sport. We'll see if foiling cats and monos ever become mainstream cruisers, however. My guess is the technology is only used to lift our future cruisers slightly, reducing wetted area and increasing speed, but not for flying a hull.
How is it any different from professional sports in general? Car racing, motorcycle racing, even football and hockey carry risk of physical harm to the participants. They all take risks to provide entertainment to others.

I am not sure how much foiling technology is going to transfer to cruising boats other than the very high end. (Ever priced out a Gunboat?) On the other hand foiling is already becoming commonplace on dinghies, and we will soon see larger sport boats foiling as well. It is only a matter of time before there are foiling one-design fleets replacing traditional keelboat fleets.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #13 of 35 Old 10-17-2019

Personally thereís two areas of interest in racing regardless of mode (air, land or sea).
The skills, fitness and guts of the racers.
V
The technology developed to be faster and have the machine remain functional for the duration of the race.
Current racers are obsolete at time of completion of build in all classes. Technology is moving along that fast.
Still for me the people part should be more important than the technology. Iím fascinated by the technology. Donít get me wrong but it seems recent ACs are determined by the engineers not the sailors so it has little interest to me other than learning about the boats.
Iíll closely follow the rtw races. I donít watch AC in real time.
bigdogandy and ThereYouAre like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #14 of 35 Old 10-17-2019

The America's Cup has always been more of a design competition than a pure sail boat race. Absent breakdowns or bad luck, the faster boat always wins. Sailing and match racing skills are important; witness what Dennis Conner was able to do with Liberty against Australia II. The Aussies were clearly the faster and more manuverable boat by far, and yet DC was able to beat them in a race straight up because he was the best match racing sailor on the planet. But even DC couldn't overcome the faster boat in a best of seven series.

If you want a pure sailing skills race, then a strict one-design match race format is what you want. But that ain't the America's Cup. We've inched closer to that, as the boats have progressed from the 12 meter rule (allowing for a relatively wide range of designs) to the IACC (more limitations on design differences) to where we are now, with most major features standardized, and the design differences limited to only a few (albeit major) components.

I don't know if the Deed of Gift (the document that basically sets out the rules for competition) could ever be interpreted to limit a challenger's boat to a one design. Maybe someday. But given the billionaire mind-set that governs the players, I doubt those guys are anxious to give up any potential advantage.
post #15 of 35 Old 10-18-2019

I'm sure I'll watch. The last AC broadcast was excellent. Well thought out graphics to make it an easier spectator sport on TV. They also did a good job of showing the competitors themselves. If you don't make sport about the people, it's no more than watching a computer compete.

I can't relate to the trans oceanic or rtw races. Vidoe seems edited or chosen for effect, or you really have to follow online. It's like watching a never ending baseball season, by checking box scores each day and seeing some highlight reels.
Arcb likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #16 of 35 Old 10-18-2019

Foiling for sure in interesting technology to go fast on the water. I don't imagine this will distill down into the yachts people buy and use for local and distance cruising. But I could be wrong.

As far as international competition goes there should be two branches... one more traditional designs such we you see in the Sydney Hobart (and other) distance races... and high tech designs which is where the AC seems to be heading. These races may be interesting to watch because of media technology advances and short courses... more like a sprint than a marathon.

I have mixed feelings about these developments / changes in the AC. I probably will watch in wonder at a sport that I feel I haven't a clue how to participate in as a sailor.
bigdogandy and Arcb like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 10-18-2019 at 11:51 AM.
post #17 of 35 Old 10-18-2019

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock

I agree with Sander and others....will watch the AC with interest for the competition and in awe of the technology and beauty of the boats, but not with the same connection to it as as sailor that I had as a kid watching Ted Hood and Dennis Connor sailing Twelves.

Today’s AC races are like watching rocket launches or Grand Prix races or other high tech, high dollar events that are enjoyable to watch but so far removed from the reality of daily life as to seem like science fiction or an action movie.

Back in the day I could sail my dad’s American 16 on lake Martin in Alabama and believe that if I could get that (way too tiny) jib trimmed well enough, and time my tacks at the perfect times, I, too, could beat any challengers.....
SanderO and Whalerus like this.

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #18 of 35 Old 10-18-2019

Have watched the AC in the past. Both at Newport and San Diego. It was great fun. Understood what the tacticians, captains etc. where trying to do. Could see the mistakes, bad starts missed evolutions without interpretation from another.
Have Watched recent ACs. Leaves me cold. Donít understand what if any decisions are made by the sailors. Find watching guys on bicycles or grinding just doesnít do it for me.
Although coverage of the RTW races is spotty understand it without explanation. Understand how awesome southern ocean sailing is although have never done it. Understand endurance, strength and smarts. Find it incredible.
Think watching boats zip around when allowed to sail within a ~10 kts wind window on calm seas isnít what AC used to be and all the poorer for it.
SanderO likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #19 of 35 Old 10-18-2019

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock

Not AC, but I understand you can sail on at least one of the old twelve meters in Newport....would be a good bucket list item.

Maybe if we live long enough weíll have the same opportunity on one of the AC 75ís?

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #20 of 35 Old 10-18-2019

BigFoot vs GraveDigger
Minnesail likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in