AC75s - SailNet Community
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

AC75s

36th America's Cup
75 foot foiling monohulls
What do you think

Last edited by Whalerus; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: AC75s

Freaky cutting edge, just like the AC should be doing.

I wonder if they'll be safer than the big foiling cats. The only objection I had was the level of risk the crews are exposed to for others enjoyment. I don't buy the argument that the crews are professionals. They will accept any risk thrown at them, as the attraction/advantage of being named to a AC crew is too overwhelming.
Minnesail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Freaky cutting edge, just like the AC should be doing.

I wonder if they'll be safer than the big foiling cats. The only objection I had was the level of risk the crews are exposed to for others enjoyment. I don't buy the argument that the crews are professionals. They will accept any risk thrown at them, as the attraction/advantage of being named to a AC crew is too overwhelming.
I don't know, I suspect most of the guys would jump at the chance to race those boats regardless of the risks!

I suspect the monohulls could crash just as hard as the cats did. I am looking forward to seeing what they can do!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

post #4 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock

I think the pendulum has swung too far towards the focus on electronics, technology and rule-beating and away from match racing skills. Couldnt we have exciting high speed racing on VOR type yachts without having to go to the bleeding edge that the AC boats seem to be pushing?

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #5 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Experiments
post #6 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I like sailing machines, they are most definitely sailing machines

I bet they are a blast to sail. I expect there will be some spectacular wipe outs. Picturing spin out broach rolls.
Whalerus likes this.
post #7 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock

Interesting.....to me they are closer to a SpaceX rocket than a sailing machine
Arcb likes this.

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #8 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I don't know, I suspect most of the guys would jump at the chance to race those boats regardless of the risks! .....
I agree. That was my point. A bunch of billionaires fund the construction of the these machines and the professional sailors will never pass on a opportunity to crew an AC boat, regardless of the risk. It's gladiator-like. The billionaires watch for their amusement, while the sailors potentially get hurt. Maybe I'm being too dramatic.

On the other hand, the AC should clearly be a test bed for new design and technology. It's been that way, since the original America (a model replica of which sits in my office, btw). This proving ground has been very good for our sport. We'll see if foiling cats and monos ever become mainstream cruisers, however. My guess is the technology is only used to lift our future cruisers slightly, reducing wetted area and increasing speed, but not for flying a hull.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I agree. That was my point. A bunch of billionaires fund the construction of the these machines and the professional sailors will never pass on a opportunity to crew an AC boat, regardless of the risk. It's gladiator-like. The billionaires watch for their amusement, while the sailors potentially get hurt. Maybe I'm being too dramatic.

On the other hand, the AC should clearly be a test bed for new design and technology. It's been that way, since the original America (a model replica of which sits in my office, btw). This proving ground has been very good for our sport. We'll see if foiling cats and monos ever become mainstream cruisers, however. My guess is the technology is only used to lift our future cruisers slightly, reducing wetted area and increasing speed, but not for flying a hull.
already on cruising boats. just like the beach cats changed sailing in the 70's the foils will change sailing again https://www.yachtingworld.com/blogs/...boats-g4-63363

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #10 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago

We had a foil hydrodynamicist from Oracle give a talk at our club about the issues involved with stalling, and cavitation at high speeds. He had some incredible videos. The windward foil sticking so far outboard could make roundings and w/l situations interesting.
chef2sail likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in