SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Everglades Challenge 2020

11K views 49 replies 12 participants last post by  Arcb 
#1 ·
I mentioned I would start a thread on this event when the time came.

For those not familiar, the Everglades Challenge is a small boat race, 300 miles or so down the Florida Coast from Tampa Bay to Key Largo, non stop, unassisted.

Boats must be beach launchable with no engines on board. Generally, roughly, 500 pounds or less. Mostly dinghies, beach cats, canoes and kayaks.

There are 3 checkpoints each with its own challenges, and each pretty much requiring human powered propulsion (oars, paddles, pedal power etc). First check point Cape Haze Marina,second Everglades City and 3rd is Flamingo in Everglades National park. Aside from the check points, participants chose their own routes.

Time limit is 8 days. Fast boats can be done in 2-3.

There are no handicapps. Each boat must be self supporting and carry an expedition load (food, water, camping gear, safety gear, navigation)

There are 5 main boat classes (each class has further subdivisions);
1 Expedition Canoes and Kayaks
2 Racing canoes, kayaks and surf skis
3 sailing canoes and kayaks
4 monohull sailboats
5 multihull sailboats
And there is a class 6 for electric boats. As well as a class for Stand Up Paddle Boards.

Event starts this Saturday March 7 about sunrise in Tampa Bay. Boat inspection is Friday March 6.

I thought I would share now, because it can be entertaining to watch teams traveling to Tampa from all over North America (beleive this year there are teams from Europe and Australia as well).

I am not there yet, I am currently being a tourist in Savannah Georgia, but I am heading that way.

Here is the race tracker.

WaterTribe :: Challenge Mapper Using Google Maps

See less See more
#3 ·
The forecast for Saturday. Pretty sporty for the 7 am start. North Eastish 21-28 Mph against an incoming tide I guess. The fast beach cats could be going very fast. I believe, amongst others there is a Nacra Carbon 20 and a couple of Tornadoes.

Looks like wind on Sunday stays pretty strong on but coming out of the East, which is offshore. That should make for good sailing too.

After Sunday, looks like the wind is likely to stay strong but out of the south. So for those of us not fast enough to finish in two days, it will be right in our faces and may stay that way.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
I am having trouble uploading pics. Think it might be the wifi.

Here are 3.

First is on the small end of the spectrum. SCAMP mono hull only 12 ft. Water ballast.

2nd are 2 kayaks and a canoe.

Third is an Arc 22 Beach Cat. Very fast and stable catamaran

Will try and get some more bigger racing sailboat pics to upload later.

Attachments

#21 ·
Just sn update on my status if any one is cutious. I am currently weather bound on a small spoil island north of Charlotte Harbor. Guys that have been across are reporting tough conditions. Big breaking waves. Its not so much the waves that are making me wait as the head winds. Took me 3 hours today to padlle 3 miles. Not getting any help from the sail. Might take a crack at Charlotte Harbor tomorrow am, but its still supposed to be rough.

#26 · (Edited)
Justin,

It looks like a tough year for this race, but it also looks like you are hitting it hard and making progress. Looking at the tracker it appears that you are in Pine Island Sound, near Burnt Store and Matlacha moving at 1.5 knots. Good job! The home team is rooting for you so hang in there and be safe.....

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.