Main Halyard Tension - Page 3 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 07-29-2015
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Re: Main Halyard Tension

Quote:
Originally Posted by albrazzi View Post
If so equipped<<
I always understood the Baby stay did two things, allow the mast to bend (in the right direction) with backstay tension and strengthening the mast while running a spinnaker. Surely there is more to it than that but without this stay you're not in control of the mast column with backstay tension. All the resulting advantages to backstay adjustments are not controllable unless stays (and spreaders) are swept back, without a baby stay.
Babystays have somewhat dis-appeared - I don't think I've seen a babystay in use going back some 25 years, during which I've sailed/raced/instructed some some 40-50 different keelboat cruisers. Back in the 70-80's some masthead boats with slim mast sections and inline shrouds would have those installed to limit pumping going to windward in rough water. Otherwise its just slows the tacking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 07-29-2015

Dock

In sailing as a cruiser I would think that main halyard tension is the absolute last think to worry about. I keep the vertical wrinkles out of it - showing its too tight, and the spiders web Showing its too slack... And thats all.

Also, cruising, if halyard tension needs altering you probably need to tuck in a reef or shake one out, so that will be done as u reef.

A cunningham eye, line and winch for a cruising boat is a WOFTAM. waster of time and money.

As for in mast furling... I dunno.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #23 of 27 Old 07-29-2015
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Babystays have somewhat dis-appeared - I don't think I've seen a babystay in use going back some 25 years, during which I've sailed/raced/instructed some some 40-50 different keelboat cruisers. Back in the 70-80's some masthead boats with slim mast sections and inline shrouds would have those installed to limit pumping going to windward in rough water. Otherwise its just slows the tacking.
Didn't know they were that rare, I currently race a CS30 with a BS and a few years back a C&C 33 with one (maybe its a Canadian thing) which is why I pretend to know what its there for. I can't see dependable mast bend on a masthead rig without one but I would admit to moderate knowledge of any of this.

post #24 of 27 Old 07-29-2015
al brazzi

I'm curious, I have a flattening reef do you use it as a mini reef by shortening sail or is the forward one a Cunningham hole and the leach end pulled back separately for two different adjustments.
No hijack intended but it definitely plays into the theory of halyard tension.
post #25 of 27 Old 07-29-2015

MarkSeaofLife says a cunningham eye, line and winch for a cruising boat is a WOFTAM. waster of time and money. I do not disagree , but.

We have a cunningham cringel , we don't use it anymore but now you have me thinking , I just might start using it again I mean just to see if I have been missing anything . We also have a shelf in our main , possibly the cunningham cringle is there so you can do the tighten up on the shelf when not needed ?

Last edited by Markwesti; 07-29-2015 at 06:58 PM.
post #26 of 27 Old 07-29-2015 Thread Starter
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Wow .... Lazarus lives.

Since the OP (in 2008) we fitted our old boat with a cunningham and it was actually worthwhile. Now we have moved on to the new girl with in mast furler we don't have the option though sometimes I confess I wish we did.

The inmast furler is something of a Curate's Egg.

Andrew B (Malö 39 Classic)

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett.
post #27 of 27 Old 08-10-2015

Where is SD with the ol, don't you know this is a 7/XX yr old thread, poster probably does not post any more!

Oh man oh man oh man! some peoples,,,, sheesh......

Opps, Op is posting still is he not?!?!?

better put phoot in mouth before chewing eh!

marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in