If you're just starting this thread, things have evolved since this first post:
Here's a link to the current GR courses and rules (note that the sign up stuff does not yet work - just submit your course in this thread for now):
GR courses and rules
Here's a link on how to create your course in Google Earth:
Okay, I've got this stupid idea that will probably never work, but it's worth suffering the potential humiliation if it actually could. Because it might be fun.
It's kind of like Nike Plus for sailing.
So you smart guys help me figure this out...
The basic idiotic idea is this:
1. We set up a triangular distance course that we all agree on. Overall distance is "X" - can be any configuration.
2. We project that course onto our chosen bodies of water (Lake Travis, Chesapeake Bay, Lake Superior, San Fran Bay, Sydney Harbor, Tasman Sea, Bay of Biscay, The English Channel, whatever), along with the GPS coordinates of each "mark".
For example, here is a 5 NM course on Lake Travis:
3. We all then start racing our courses whenever we want, and as many times as we want throughout the season - using the GPS coordinates.
4. We then bring our times back, and enter them along with our boat type, etc.
5. We see who the fastest boats are on each respective body of water for each season.
6. The leaders start talkin' trash to the losers.
Okay - start telling me all the reasons this can't work. Then let's do it.