SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

S2 11.0A input?

10K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  PAULCR1 
#1 ·
Hello,
I am currently looking at a S2 11.0A and wondering if there are any 11.0A owners out there with opinion on the sailboat, good and bad, and how you like them so far.
Thanks
Patrick

#2 ·
Awsome boat. Have sailed ours from texas to Hondaras and Texas to Bahamas. Gearing up for our next trip. Like any old boat be ready to spend money on standing and running rigging. And up to date hardware. 2 negatives:
Boat has a flatish forefoot so it pounds some upwind in big seas.
No access to bilge sump, (easily fixed with a saw and some trim).
Check out our website Koplin Sailing

#4 ·
Have you had any ventilation issues with that boat? I notice there are only 4 opening ports - 2 of which are in the head (probably a good thing) and none in the v-berth. I saw that one guy asked the question a while back about replacing the fixed ports with opening ports. Anybody done that?
Thanks.

#5 ·
Hi,
We are in the process of purchasing an S2 11C, haul out day after tomorrow, and am really curious about the lack of access to the bilge. Any info you can pass on would be GREATLY appreciated.

#6 ·
I'm not sure how the 11.0c differs from the 11.0a in terms of how the cabin sole is laid out, but with my 11.0a bilge access has not been too much of a problem so far. There is an access port in front of the keel near the mast and another port just behind the keel by the nav station. The only other access is under the steps just in front of the engine. On my boat, one of the P.O.'s extended the hole under the steps by about 6-8" by cutting out part of the sole that is hidden by the steps. It doesn't help much but it helps a little. That hole and the one by the nav station are at the fore and aft ends of the deepest part of the bilge (the sump), so you really can't see directly down into it. Access to the auto bilge pump in my case is done by raising and lowering the pump with its own wires. Not a good arrangement, but it works. (This is the kind of pump with its own float switch.)
It's a relatively new boat for me - 8 months - so I'm still learning. I don't understand why S2 limited bilge access so much, but since I'm not a great woodworker, I'll make do as it is. Other than that, it's been a great boat.
Hope this helps a little.

#7 ·
Sailorguy9,
Thanks for the timely feedback it helps a whole lot. I can look over the surveyors shoulder on Wednesday and pretend to ask semi-intelligent questions. This is a whole new experience for us and finding folks with the same, almost, boat is really a moral boost.
Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.