Universal Engine 30 - m4-30 Coolant - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-06-2019 Thread Starter

Question Universal Engine 30 - m4-30 Coolant

I am the new owner of "Spirit"/hull #1, Sabre 34, 1977. Before the delivery from the West River to Baltimore's Inner Harbor on the Chesapeake Bay, MD, a 5 hour trip, we topped off the engine coolant. We arrived without a hitch. A couple of days later I did a 4 hour day sail, no issues. The same week, I left the dock again and within 20 minutes the engine over heated and cut off. There was no damage from the over heating and no leaking/spillage that I could see then to the present; dry engine room floor. After waiting for it to cool, I topped of the coolant again and it took quite a bit.

My question is, is it common for this engine to "use" coolant that quickly? Do I need to check it prior to every departure? Please advise.

Nice to be introduced to community!

~ Michael Campbell ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-06-2019

Re: Universal Engine 30 - m4-30 Coolant

I would fill it, run for a few minutes after thermostat opens, shut down, then check again.
Mayve had trapped air.
Other would be to pull HX....prob good to check that anyway since is new boat to you.

Nice boat
post #3 of 5 Old 01-06-2019

Wow, hull #1 of the Sabre 34 mk1!

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

post #4 of 5 Old 01-06-2019

Hey,

You need to find out why the engine is overheating. Is the raw water cooling or the fresh water cooling the problem? Do you have a temperature gauge? Do have a water heater on board?

If it were my boat i would do the following diagnostic tests:
-At the dock or mooring, start the engine,
-Do you have seawater getting pushed out of the exhaust? If so the raw water pump is good. If not you need to see if you have a bad raw water pump, impeller, or blockage.
-If the water flow is normal then put in forward and run at low cruise rpm until the engine until it is warm.
-Do you have hot water from the sink taps? If so the fresh water pump is working. If not then either you have no coolant, or the water pump is bad, or the thermostat is bad, or there is a blockage.
-if you have nice hot water then continue to run the engine. Check for coolant leaks. If none found you need to check for a bad cylinder head or some other problem. Check the oil for signs of coolant (frothy milkshake like stuff in coolant)
-A laser temperature probe can be a handy tool for this.

Good luck
Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-06-2019

If it didn't go into the bilge it went out the exhaust. Posible head gasket failure (not so likely) or transfer in the HX.. Other place is boil away (air lock?) or into oil pan.but surly you'd notice before it just shut down.

Last edited by Capt Len; 01-06-2019 at 09:07 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in