american fiberglass t42 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 08-14-2014 Thread Starter

american fiberglass t42

I just got a free t42 by American fiberglass, i am brand new to sailing and i would like to fix up this boat, however it has no mast, boom or sail and i cant find any info about what size they are. Please help.
Thanks ,Nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-14-2014
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Re: american fiberglass t42

TANSTAFL

If you get that ready to sail you will have spent three to ten times what it is worth. Three times and maybe a year running around for used. Ten if you buy new.

So give it away.

Check on Craigslist for something like this. Chrysler 22, sailboat

A weeks hard work plus two visits to Home Depot and you will be sailing.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-15-2014 Thread Starter

It doesn't need that much work just some repair on some hatches, like hinges, already has a good trailer, all i really need is a sail.
Thanks, Nate

post #4 of 14 Old 08-15-2014
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Well if you go ahead with it then contact these guys https://www.dwyermast.com/default.asp for mast and rigging.

Make sure you factor in carriage charges on the mast. Where I am they are 2 to 3 times the cost of the mast.

Lee Sails can do new sails at a reasonable price. Lee Sails: Sailmaker to the world.

But I would buy that Chrysler, rent a pressure washer then maybe a buffer for the hull. A pint of epoxy to put everything back inside and I will be sailing next weekend with very little stress.

Last edited by TQA; 08-15-2014 at 04:44 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-16-2014 Thread Starter

I know you are trying to help, however I AM KEEPING THIS BOAT, and i would like to fix it up this thread is just because i need help on sail size mast size and boom size, I DON'T WANT ADVICE ON GETTING RIDE OF MY BOAT I WANT TO KEEP IT.
thanks, Nate
post #6 of 14 Old 08-17-2014
One of None

This is all I've found on this boat Natey.
T for Two Micro-Tonner T42 by American Fiberglass - ShortyPen Sailboat Guide

If you aren't going to be talked out of it, start a photo journal showing your progress. You will get lots of help. (good bad and the ugly)

Seems like a reasonable size first boat. Finding a mast rigging and sails will be a challenge. Someone like Bob Perry (one of our famous boat design pros here) could maybe help you figure out the measurements and sizes you need to find, build, or buy.

This can help you understand what why and how to rig a small boat.
Rigging Small Sailboats - Title page

You can find lots of sailing stuff on craigslist and ebay if you have the time to search. Finding out the actual measurements for yourr T42 mast and boom

Where are you located? That can help you find help!

It had a "camper" top

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #7 of 14 Old 08-17-2014
Dirt Free

Once you get the size figured out, grab your tape measure and start visiting marinas. Thousands of marinas around North America have thousands of abandoned masts.
I know of about 50 abandoned masts within a few miles of my place.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-17-2014 Thread Starter

First i am located in woodstock,ct, and thanks deniseO30 all the help, i did find out that the mast is 19' tall but that is all i know , i will check out those websites that you posted.
Thanks, Nate
post #9 of 14 Old 08-17-2014
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

OK OK we get the message.

If you find a used rig try and get the wire rigging AND THE TURNBUCKLES. It is unlikely that the wires [stays ] will be the right length but wire is cheap turnbuckles are not.

Making new wire rigging stays is a DIY job with talurit swages. The tool you need is $25 on ebay or you can rent the pro type.. Start with the longest first. That way if you screw up you already have one end done for a shorter one. Use I used to fly hang gliders and made my own for those. two swages each end was the recommendation. DIY Thimble and Ferrule Swaging - YouTube
post #10 of 14 Old 08-11-2018

Did you ever get this boat sailing?

I have one in Stony Creek, Branford CT that you could see, measure, take pictures, documentation, get help. Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in