Steel vs Fiberglass - Page 21 - SailNet Community
 1137Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #201 of 2951 Old 06-07-2015
I can't re Member

Re: Steel vs Fiberglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-Rangatira View Post
the aluminum adds a bit of flex to the carbon to allow the arrow to flex in flight
https://youtu.be/f1yjcKzIT9c
Actually alum/carbon arrows aren't that popular; very expensive and delicate. Think Olympics.
Most archers I know use aluminum, carbon, and wood, in that order. Fiberglass arrows have gone to the wayside except for bowfishing.
I started out with alum, but now use wood for stump shooting and carbon for hunting (when I was a hunter) and target/3D shooting.
I get questioned on using high tech carbon arrows on the wood, epoxy, fiberglass laminated longbows I've made, but I like to use the material that does the job the best.

Never heard tell of anyone using steel arrows (or bows for that matter)
....aaand back to your regular scheduled programming....

goat
smackdaddy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 2951 Old 06-07-2015
Bill SV Rangatira

Send a message via Skype™ to Bill-Rangatira

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Actually alum/carbon arrows aren't that popular; very expensive and delicate. Think Olympics.
Most archers I know use aluminum, carbon, and wood, in that order. Fiberglass arrows have gone to the wayside except for bowfishing.
I started out with alum, but now use wood for stump shooting and carbon for hunting (when I was a hunter) and target/3D shooting.
I get questioned on using high tech carbon arrows on the wood, epoxy, fiberglass laminated longbows I've made, but I like to use the material that does the job the best.

Never heard tell of anyone using steel arrows (or bows for that matter)
....aaand back to your regular scheduled programming....

goat
ok i guess aluminum carbon are too small for the massive force from acceleration of a compound bow
but in a recurve i found them great
the lighter weight and smaller diameter allowed me flatter trajectory and less wind drag

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #203 of 2951 Old 06-07-2015

Check out the Easton a/c arrows. Seem to work well even with compound bows up to ~ 330fps.
Now the turn to the past.
Hi Brent- good to know you are studying basic Newtonian physics. Interesting that everyone who's interested in performance and can afford it is taking what weight they can out of their rig and top hamper. Not only cf sticks but eschewing 1X19 for rod and now rod for fiber. Cored decks/house are the de rigor even on cruising boats like mine. You might also wish to peruse the various papers concerning sailboat performance in extreme breaking waves. Those with large underwater planes such as full keel boats and boats heavy for their loa seem to have a host of derived difficulties. Bobs Sliver, the Daschew boats and similar vessels have a lot going for them in that regard.
You point to one of myriad factors concerning boat behavior. For myself I rather be in the V37 Bob drew then your 36 in the southern ocean.
BTW- can't recall a keel falling any of the Valiants or PSC or Morris or any quality boat. Of course it's impossible that an Outbound's keel would fall off as they are internally ballasted. Yup Brent no keel bolts at all. Even though it's a bulbed fin.
Wondering Brent can you come up with the basic numbers asked for earlier? A sailing polar? a weight study? A true AVS number? a GZ curve? Anything but fishi stories? Jees Loiuse starting to sound like Smack.
smackdaddy likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #204 of 2951 Old 06-07-2015
grumpy old man

Brent's understanding of stability is at best rudimentary. It's all hear/say. He has done no stability studies. He cannot produce one here that he did. He picks up a word here and a phrase there and he tries to make it sound like science. Probably the most exhaustive stability study ever done was the Australian study done after the Queen's Birthday Storm about 15 years ago. One this they specifically looked into was the effect of a pilot house. There study said it made no difference. This is not my opinion. I'm sure with some research you cna find the whole study online.

One reason I never talk about welding. I've never welded.

As Out points out there is a reason the most high tech and fastest boats do everything they can to reduce weight aloft. They are physically inclined to test their stability, i.e. they are "tipped over". Getting the VCG low is the key. Almost everyone knows that.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 06-08-2015 at 12:10 AM.
post #205 of 2951 Old 06-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
" That which can be molded"?
Really?

So jello is "plastic".
Children are "plastic".
Bread dough is "plastic".
Cupcakes are "plastic".
Clay is "plastic".
Hamburger is "plastic".
Cement is "plastic".
Etc.

Maybe, if you were confused about the meaning of "composite" a more accurate way to use the dictionary would be to look up the word "composite". What a novel approach.
I would consider a cold molded boat, like FRANCIS LEE composite as it has a cedar hull and a glass deck. But I would not cal it "plastic".

Here's a 30 year old Valiant 47 currently out cruising. It''s all grp. Call it "plastic" if that suits you. Really it is "glass reinforced polyester". But, I just call it a good looking, well maintained , good performing boat. They built lots of them. A very fine day in the Maldives.
Bob: coincidentally, my wife and I went for a sail on Saturday, and we saw a Valiant 47 just like the one above. The Admiral (who is not a "boat" person) remarked that she liked the Valiant. She said "it looks like Popeye's boat".
post #206 of 2951 Old 06-08-2015
grumpy old man

mstern:
I think I'll take that as a compliment. They are big, capable cruising boats.

I got a message thru another site yesterday from my friend Bill Pinkney. Bill was the first African American to do a solo circumnavigation. He did it in Mark Shraeder's old Valiant 47. So that boat has some serious miles on it and has more than proven itself to be a great boat.

Bob's Blog ....

post #207 of 2951 Old 06-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
mstern:
I think I'll take that as a compliment. They are big, capable cruising boats.

I got a message thru another site yesterday from my friend Bill Pinkney. Bill was the first African American to do a solo circumnavigation. He did it in Mark Shraeder's old Valiant 47. So that boat has some serious miles on it and has more than proven itself to be a great boat.
It was meant as a compliment. But when I tried to expound on the canoe stern, I could see her eyes glaze over. Oh well....

And Captain Pinkney is very familiar to us here in Connecticut; he was the first skipper of the Amistad, which was built here in Mystic. The movie and ship were big local news, as they constitute some prideful local history in the fight to eradicate slavery. So when he was made captain of the Amistad, it was fairly well splased across the local media.
post #208 of 2951 Old 06-08-2015
grumpy old man

mstern:

I think there is some Popeye in most of what I do.

Bob's Blog ....

post #209 of 2951 Old 06-08-2015
Administrator

I don't know whether the 'Jeff' in your cartoon refers to me, but if it does, its very flattering. Even if its not me, it is very cool.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #210 of 2951 Old 06-08-2015
grumpy old man

Jeff: You know what they say, "If the foo ***** wear it." That Jeff is my old buddy who was going through a tough time that Christmas. I thought he needed a good little ship to get him through the storm.
Jeff has a wall in his home covered in my cartoons. I almost feel bad when I give him another one. But you can be this "Jeff" if you like Jeff.

But I match the cartoon to the personality of the recipient and I don't think of you like either of those boats. I think of you more like this, a little more high techy:

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 06-08-2015 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in