Steel vs Fiberglass - Page 65 - SailNet Community
 1137Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #641 of 2951 Old 07-18-2015
grumpy old man

Re: Steel vs Fiberglass

You flatter yourself BS. And no doubt you are making things up again. The reality is Michael most probably has far better things to do than to pursue you. What a total waste of time that would be. Michael ripped you a new one on the BD forum and everyone there knew it. I sincerely doubt he has any reason at all to fear you.

As for enduring a trip to NC: When you have a design contract in excess of $200,000 USD you tell the client you will be at the yard any time he requests your presence there. Simple as that. That's called being a "professional". I love to be at the yards where my boats are built. I'm not keen on humidity but spending tmie in the yard is always enjoyable. I'll go back to the Betts yard on Tuesday to meet with the client. If there client was not going to be there I'd go anyway. I just like spending time in the yard. It's no hardship. I'm well compensated.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 07-18-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #642 of 2951 Old 07-18-2015
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
A good, super thick buildup of epoxy on clean, sandblasted steel, inside and out, can reduce maintenance to minimal . If you are having a problem with your paint, blast to clean metal, and do a super heavy buildup of epoxy, and maintenance can be drastically reduced for many years.
Epoxy? The same stuff that's used in fiberglass boats?

Why not get rid of the flawed, maintenance-heavy and outrageously slow steel "core" of your strange composite altogether and negate the maintenance issue once and for all? I'd rather cruise to Cuba than maintain a rust bucket with endless layers of the same main ingredient in fiberglass.

Your boats are not steel. They are epoxy-composite - plastic with a steel substrate. Let's at least get the facts straight.

Quote:
I was just told that Michael Kasten admitted that he didn't have the huevos to show up at the metal boat society's annual gathering, if there was a chance that I could show up. That is an open admission that what he has been saying about my boats, couldn't survive an open debate, with a level playing field. He prefers one sided postings, with no chance of a response.
I was also told that members there ,love my posts.
I just heard another one of my 36 footers is on the home run from Hawaii, finishing another trouble free circumnavigation
You seem to be "told" things by a lot of "people". No one believes any of it it - except you.
CVAT likes this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-18-2015 at 08:07 PM.
post #643 of 2951 Old 07-18-2015
grumpy old man

Come on Smack,,,,you are going to give my true composite boats a bad name.
CVAT likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

post #644 of 2951 Old 07-18-2015
I can't re Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Epoxy? The same stuff that's used in fiberglass boats?

Your boats are not steel. They are epoxy-composite - plastic with a steel substrate. Let's at least get the facts straight.
I love watching the way a lawyer's mind works.

goat
bobperry likes this.
post #645 of 2951 Old 07-19-2015
Banned

If you have a thick buildup of epoxy which is giving you no problem, except for the odd chip, leave it and clean and touch up the chips. If it aint broke , dont fix it. ( the government version is "If it aint broke, fix it till it is broke") If you want smooth, fill in the chips and dings, and fair the top of the buildup . Blasting a good paint buildup would be a huge mistake.
If you can see the weld pattern in the paint, it is not thick enough. Smooth can mean a careful build up, or can mean not enough paint. The thicker the paint, the greater the odds of it getting rougher.Let it get rough, and smooth it after you get a good buildup.
Gel coat on plastic boats is not exactly thin.
post #646 of 2951 Old 07-19-2015
Banned

Quote:
I took a row around a Perry designed Valiant 40 yesterday The bow roller would be laughable, if were not so sad. There is zero chance of it surviving an anchor jammed under a rock in a swell. This is the kind of designing you get when you have a boat designed by someone with zero cruising experience.
The lifelines were a typical Perry screwup. Nice side deck width, until much of it was eaten up by a ridiculously wide bulwark . Then the stanchions, only 28 inches high, were well inside that, leaving a lot less for side decks. Putting the stanchions on top of the bulwarks would be a huge improvement.
I'm sure the drawings for such a useless, fragile bow roller on the Valiant 40, were immaculate drawings, perfect draftsmanship. One should never mistake draftsmanship with seamanship. Being a good draftsman, and drawing perfect drawings should never be mistaken for practical knowledge about the functional priorities of an offshore cruising boat. Some excellent draftsmen don't know the pointy end of a boat from the other end. Only actual long term , hands on cruising experience can educate one about the practical realities of what matters on a cruising boat.
post #647 of 2951 Old 07-19-2015
grumpy old man

BS:
You are repeating yourself. Alzheimer's?
It's s stout fitting that has worked well on 350 boats. That is several times all the BS boats ever built.

But you are very correct, it is a beautiful, full scale drawing. I'm a designer. I design.

Here is something beautiful straight off my drawing board/computer. I do love my work. I bet Frank Sinatra liked his own voice.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 07-19-2015 at 05:29 PM.
post #648 of 2951 Old 07-20-2015

Brent
Have four friends who own valiants. A live aboard couple from the cheasepeake with likely over 100,000m on their boat. A retired Union plumber with multiple rough passages including a hurricane. Hit land and rode out the tail at anchor. A retired couple who snowbirded to the eastern carribean over a dozen times. A gentleman who has done both coasts ( and caribe) of the U.S.
These boats have seen multiple storms, anchored thousands of times including bad weather. At times ridden hard and put away wet.
These boats looks brand spanking new.
Like you most everyone on this thread can quote stories to document your attacks of Bob is bogus and unsubstantiated in fact or history.
CVAT likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #649 of 2951 Old 07-20-2015

Not naming any names, but if you argue with a fool, you're the fool.
post #650 of 2951 Old 07-20-2015
I can't re Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Not naming any names, but if you argue with a fool, you're the fool.
Am not!
bobperry and CVAT like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in