Bob Perry's Carbon Cutters - Page 101 - SailNet Community
 778Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1001 of 1164 Old 07-20-2017
Administrator

Re: Bob Perry's Carbon Cutters

Well that did not work easily.....Test 2, (a picture from my Flickr acct.)

[IMG]Synergy under Spinnaker Approaching Bridge 2[/IMG]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-20-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1002 of 1164 Old 07-20-2017 Thread Starter
grumpy old man

Well done Jeff!
Is there a way I can do that?

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
post #1003 of 1164 Old 07-20-2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Well done Jeff!
Is there a way I can do that?
Yes I think that there is. On Flickr, when you open an image, there is are five icons on the lower right just below the picture. The middle one is a curved arrow, which is the symbol for 'Share this Photo'. When you click on that icon you get a dialogue box that says "Share 1 photo to". Below that title are four choices. Click on 'Embed' and when you do there is a box with an internet HTTP address. Right click on that address and select 'copy'.

Then come over here and in the "Reply to thread" box, there is a icon that looks like a postage stamp with a mountain, that is the 'embed picture' icon. When you click on it you get a dialogue box with 'HTTP' selected. All you need to do at that point is 'control+V' which means paste and then hit 'Okay' when the box is populated with the new http.

Its way easier than that sounds.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

post #1004 of 1164 Old 07-20-2017 Thread Starter
grumpy old man

Let's give it a try. Who's funny looking blue boat is that?

Bob's Blog ....

post #1005 of 1164 Old 07-20-2017 Thread Starter
grumpy old man

Try again:

Nope. I must be doing something wrong.

Bob's Blog ....

post #1006 of 1164 Old 07-20-2017 Thread Starter
grumpy old man

Again:
[IMG]011[/IMG]

That seems to work. Many thanks Jeff. It's clumsy but I think I can get the hang of it.
seaner97 and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.

Bob's Blog ....

post #1007 of 1164 Old 07-20-2017
Administrator

Quote:
Who's funny looking blue boat is that?
If you mean the funny blue boat under blue and green spinnaker, that would be 'Synergy', my funny blue boat, designed by some whipper-snapper named Bruce something. And that would be me single-handing on a day that was probably a little bit too windy to be single-handing but the mid-teens winds, gusting to near 20 knots made for a very fast trip to a lovely quiet creek for the night. My grin was almost as wide as my spinnaker.

The cutter is looking great with its log rail painted.

Jeff

post #1008 of 1164 Old 07-20-2017 Thread Starter
grumpy old man

Jeff:
I was just having some fun with you. How was the single handed dowse? Getting it up is easy. Relatively.

Yep, the cutters are looking fine. I have some issues with a few aesthetic decisions, i.e. why is the bootstripe 1.5" more narrow than I specd? but those will just have to wait for the next hull. All energy now goes into getting no. 1 in the water.

Bob's Blog ....

post #1009 of 1164 Old 07-20-2017
Administrator

Quote:
Jeff:
I was just having some fun with you. How was the single handed dowse? Getting it up is easy. Relatively.
I knew you were pulling my leg. The douse was a bit dicey. I had left clearance to leeward to turn down onto a run and douse behind the mainsail. But I normally roll out the jib first so it can act as a 'spinnaker net' and keep the sail from getting a wrap.

I didn't this time and the head of the sail blew into the space between the pole lift and the mast and managed to jamb cleat itself between the pole lift and the mast at the sheave. I started to try to go forward under the boom so I could get below the sail to free it, but my harness pulled up short. It did not occur to me to drop the pole.

So I did what i did not want to do, and pulled down very hard on the sail to free it, at the risk of tearing it. I still need to check and see whether there is a tear. On the other hand I am not too concerned since this is the chute that is nicknamed 'patches', which is why I am flying it single-hand on a cruise.

The cruise was lovely with one of the most dramatic full moon rises and my friend John Zseleczky (spelled like it sounds) playing Bach on his chello a few hundred feet upwind of me. John was single-handing his Pearson 30 but had a harder time carrying his chute in the gusts and took his down shortly after this picture. (The wake around mid-ships is his keel at the surface.) John did a great job getting his boat under control and doing a controlled drop.

[IMG]Old Blue knocked down[/IMG]

Jeff
Rhapsody-NS27 and Minnesail like this.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-20-2017 at 03:54 PM.
post #1010 of 1164 Old 07-20-2017 Thread Starter
grumpy old man

Jeff :
In 20 knots I would have thought twice about hoisting the chute on the Esprit. In fact, I'm pretty sure I would not have done it. It was a big, masthead fore triangle. I used the 1.5 oz. for cruising for its durability. I had a Spinnaker Sally (remember those) but it was so complicated looking that I never used it. The company gave it to me free. They did not last long on the market. Today with socks or top down furlers and asyms it far easier. But my days of flying any chute by myself are long gone. Good on ya having the cajones. A day to remember.

Bob's Blog ....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in