LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1101 of 1164 Old 09-20-2017 Thread Starter
grumpy old man

Re: Bob Perry's Carbon Cutters

apneab:
And that's why we have custom designs.
seaner97 and albrazzi like this.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1102 of 1164 Old 09-20-2017
Banned

Very well done, Bob. She's beautiful.
post #1103 of 1164 Old 09-20-2017 Thread Starter
grumpy old man

Thanks Smack./ I think it came out quite well, so far. Tomorrow we sail it. I'll give you a report.
knuterikt likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

post #1104 of 1164 Old 09-20-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

Bob,
I bet it's nice for you to watch your baby get born then sent out into the wild. She's a beauty. The guys at that shop has done a fine job all around. Thanks for sharing the whole process with us.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #1105 of 1164 Old 09-20-2017 Thread Starter
grumpy old man

No problem Rhapsody. It's been fun.
saiils by robert perry, on Flickr
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

post #1106 of 1164 Old 09-20-2017

Why was the radar put on the spreader rather than the mast?
Is that a spin or whisker pole on the mast?
post #1107 of 1164 Old 09-20-2017

BEutiful boat bob,must be a awsome ,rewarding feeling to go out for the maiden voyage on the first boat of a new design,...Ralph

Northern Alberta. "85" C/L 16. ,"85"S2 7.9 under repair.
post #1108 of 1164 Old 09-20-2017 Thread Starter
grumpy old man

Towguy/ Ralph:
That first sail will be tomorrow.
My primary problem is that I can't bring my dog.
Since my son died I have had panic attacks. Just out of the blue. Sometimes they get to the point where I have to remind myself how to walk. "Bob, move your left foot forward. Good. Now your right foot." My dog, Ruby, is my storm anchor. Normal people laugh at people who get panic attacks. I used to think they were wimps. Not any more.
So no dog. I can deal with it.
I have no worries that the boat will sail well. My concern that a few pragmatic issues like lead angles, will be small problems.
I have done this many times. I have sailed so many different boats. You can't imagine.
This part of the process is the part I am least concerned with. My boats sail very well. I think this one will be,,,,,,,pretty damn good.

But, that said, each boat has it's own feel. You can't calculate that. The personality of the boat will be conveyed through the tiller to the helmsman. That's what I want to feel. How does this boat feel? We are going to disconnect the NKE autopilot rams so they don't add load to the steering. I'll check back in with you tomorrow or maybe Friday.

User:
We put the antenna where we thought best.
That is a spin pole on the mast. A whisker pole is of limited use. A spin pole can take the compressive loads you see with a spin on a tight reach.
Rhapsody-NS27 and Morild like this.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 09-20-2017 at 10:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobperry For This Useful Post:
Towguy (09-20-2017)
post #1109 of 1164 Old 09-22-2017 Thread Starter
grumpy old man

Yesterday was our very first sail. Wind was gusting to 8 knots. A real test of man and machine! We also had 3 knots for a while so I am not complaining.
Question: Why does the wind come up when you have to go back in? Damn.

In short everything worked very well. There are some niggling rigging details that can be improved. Our $600 hawse fitting s with the inboard cleat horns proved, as suspected, to be ideal sheet catchers. We will need to build some "boots" for the forward two so lines won't snag on them. We did not fuss much with sail shape. Played with rigging tension and mast jack load. The north sails, Yankee (low clewed), staysail and main were as good a set of sails as I have ever seen one of my boats. With three sails up we could do 30 degs AWA but with a cutter rig I like to sag off to 32 AWA to let the staysail breath better. I think I nailed the lead angles for yankee and staysail. The curved trav that so many people critiscized worked perfectly.
Na nanee na na!

Helm was light and very responsive despite the fact that we left the NKE autopilot hooked up. Pretty neutral helm in that light air. I was surprised how quickly the boat tacked. My biggest performance fear has been light air performance. We got up to 6.5 knots yesterday so I am not longer concerned with the light air boat speed. We did not take the gennaker as the internal tack line is not lead yet. That would have made a big difference. Next time.

As predicted I had a panic attack when I got to the boat. I don't think anyone noticed. But as soon as we were sailing I felt like Bob again and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Except for the part when we had to go in. It was a beautiful, sunny day and a great day to be sailing. Our crew for the day did not include the owner (Bob scratches his head in bewilderment) but we did have Jim Betts, builder, Robert Flowerman, sailing master, Neil Racicot, one of Jim's lead men and very good sailor. Anthony, the mechanic and electrical whizz and Colin, a young kid who had never been sailing. The mood was light with much joking and all round a feeling of "We did good". A passing tugboat came close and the skipper came out onto the bridge and gave us a thumbs up.

Now we need some real breeze for our next outing.
044 by robert perry, on Flickr
041 by robert perry, on Flickr
Go 1 by robert perry, on Flickr
035 by robert perry, on Flickr
033 by robert perry, on Flickr
019 by robert perry, on Flickr
025 by robert perry, on Flickr

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 09-22-2017 at 01:27 PM.
post #1110 of 1164 Old 09-22-2017

I said it on Facebook and I'll say it here, picture Go 1 belongs on the cover of Yachting World magazine.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in