Bob Perry's Carbon Cutters - Page 112 - SailNet Community
 778Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1111 of 1164 Old 09-22-2017
Ulysses' Apprentice

Re: Bob Perry's Carbon Cutters

Bob... A respectful request from us mere mortals; Can we purchase a set of plans for this design to be built in wood/S-glass/Aluminum spar? I promise I will use use come carbon tape in high stress areas, maybe even some CNC cut Stainless floors/mast step/fames.... pretty please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1164 Old 09-22-2017 Thread Starter
grumpy old man

Luke:
Yes, I think I can do that. I would have to redo the construction drawing and specs for you. We would use less ballast but it would still be a very good boat.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
post #1113 of 1164 Old 09-22-2017
Ulysses' Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Luke:
Yes, I think I can do that. I would have to redo the construction drawing and specs for you. We would use less ballast but it would still be a very good boat.
That would be amazing Bob. I have fallen in and out of love with so many designs as I have my internal battle between build vs buy. Bermuda 40's, Columbia 50's, Collin Archer double enders, Bristol Channel Cutters, too many center cockpit designs, plus so many of your designs... the list is never ending. I keep shopping while in the process of learning more and I'll just go on sailing my little 22 ft pocket cruisers and racing dinghies until I can figure out the right plan.

What I can say for sure is that I have loved so many aspects of your Carbon Cutter design since I first learned about it from your blog 3 years or so ago. The sea chest, the rudder configuration, the space age materials, scantlings, and of course those lines; the closest I think anyone has come to an all round package wrapped up in great in advances in materials/building technology.

The big thing for me besides all the wonderful points and compliments so many have said about this design; I have really settled on the 40 to 44 foot range of LOA that seems to provide the best balance of interior volume/amenities with reasonable cost of ownership/moorage/maintenance. So many wonderful designs in the 50 to 60 ft range but the haul-out, slip fees, and other associated costs even compared to a 40 ft boat that is still 'big' makes me cringe. I am looking for long term, sustainable enjoyment with a happy balance of performance, sea worthiness... etc. I think my growth of knowledge about cruising and formulated opinion is very similar to most folks who are Perry Design fans.

post #1114 of 1164 Old 09-22-2017 Thread Starter
grumpy old man

Luke:
Thanks for the kind words.

Who would you have build this boat? I have found over the years that options in style and materials for hull and deck in the end do not make a huge difference in the finished cost of the boat. If a boatyard told you they could build this boat in your material spec for $700,000 I'd be skeptical. I'm not here to lead you down the garden path. Built as per no. 1 we are looking at $1,000,000. USD!
Morild likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

post #1115 of 1164 Old 09-23-2017

Bob, may I ask what marine radios were fitted?

In addition to the Icom VHF it looks like two Icom HF radios!

Formally noelex77, but I cannot access that account.
post #1116 of 1164 Old 09-23-2017 Thread Starter
grumpy old man

Noelex:
I have no idea. They are black. I'll find out for you. I stayed far away from that part of the boat. There is pretty much two of everything. One monitor. I think the monitor cost $6,000.
019 by robert perry, on Flickr

Bob's Blog ....

post #1117 of 1164 Old 09-24-2017

Thursday was a lot of fun Bob, glad I got to come along. Third time being on a sailboat, the last was about a year ago with my friend on a trip to sucia trying to keep his decrepit 25' ****heap together. I noticed right after we left that all the diesel had escaped into the bilge, luckily the 70s farymann diesel wasn't too picky.

It's very strange, going the cruising speed of my fathers old gillnet boat we used to live and work on in Alaska, using no fuel. No engine noise, just an almost eerie silence. Almost as strange as being on an electric motorcycle.

Now you have me bugging my friend to teach me what's what on the older C&C he upgraded to and learning about sailboats in my free time. This is going to get expensive, isn't it?

At least now I realize how badly I need a haircut.
Rhapsody-NS27 and Morild like this.
post #1118 of 1164 Old 09-24-2017 Thread Starter
grumpy old man

Good to see your here Collin. Glad you enjoyed the sail. Robert was making it a wee bit more complex than necessary but he certainly knows what he is doing.

Bob's Blog ....

post #1119 of 1164 Old 09-24-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin View Post
This is going to get expensive, isn't it?
Won't be much... just everything you have.
Welcome to Sailnet, Sailing, and good luck to you in your future sailing endeavors. You're going to love it!

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #1120 of 1164 Old 09-24-2017 Thread Starter
grumpy old man

Look on the positive side Collin, you wont be able to afford a drug habit.

Bob's Blog ....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in