Bob Perry's Carbon Cutters - Page 99 - SailNet Community
 778Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #981 of 1164 Old 07-07-2017

Re: Steel vs Fiberglass

I too like a light grey hull. I think Awlgrip makes what they call Whisper Grey. That with a dark green bootstripe is what we want as next hull color.

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #982 of 1164 Old 07-07-2017 Thread Starter
grumpy old man

Re: Bob Perry's Carbon Cutters

I was out fishing this morning and saw a very beautiful crab boat. Pretty sure a Garden design, Leclerq build, dark green with a broad gold boot stripe. It was spectacular. I wish I had my camera with me.
Jeff_H likes this.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
post #983 of 1164 Old 07-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
I too like a light grey hull. I think Awlgrip makes what they call Whisper Grey. That with a dark green bootstripe is what we want as next hull color.
Matt and Jessica of the MJSailing blog/vlog MJSailing.com have chosen to leave the aluminium hull of their Trisalu 37 bare above the waterline to develop the natural oxidized patina. They have taken a lot of criticism for it.

Our Thoughts on Going Bare | Matt & Jessica's Sailing Page

They have gone to a great deal of effort and expense to have a bare aluminium hull so they can sail through ice berg fields:

Bought a boat sight-unseen that had been on the hard ten years; spent two years living on it on the stands, while gutting and stripping it to make it their dream boat; They found sections of the hull that were found through x-ray to be thin and they had to pay a welder to cut and weld new pieces of aluminium panels in. They to do a good bit of prep work to get paint to adhere to the hull below the water line.

post #984 of 1164 Old 07-07-2017
Freedom Chip Counter

[QUOTE=midwesterner;3985226]Matt and Jessica of the MJSailing blog/vlog MJSailing.com have chosen to leave the aluminium hull of their Trisalu 37 bare above the waterline to develop the natural oxidized patina. They have taken a lot of criticism for it.

They were my "neighbors" for almost year while I was at Indiantown! I think they were struck by lightening just before I left in October of 2015. Nice young couple....very dedicated to their boat....glad to see they are sailing!

Tartan 31
post #985 of 1164 Old 07-07-2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I was out fishing this morning and saw a very beautiful crab boat. Pretty sure a Garden design, Leclerq build, dark green with a broad gold boot stripe. It was spectacular. I wish I had my camera with me.
Yup~ There is something about workboat style boats in dark green with gold trim that just plain seems right. Maybe its the Gloucester Fishing Schooner influence.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #986 of 1164 Old 07-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post

They were my "neighbors" for almost year while I was at Indiantown! I think they were struck by lightening just before I left in October of 2015. Nice young couple....very dedicated to their boat....glad to see they are sailing!
They're not sailing yet. They just splashed a week or so ago and still have all their running rigging to route aft. They just had the opportunity to mount their sails and see that they fit. Couldn't do more than spread them out on the ground while they were on the hard. They still have all of their new electronics to install and a sail cover to make.
They hope to motor farther down the river to get closer to the ocean and sea breezes while they finish outfitting.
post #987 of 1164 Old 07-09-2017 Thread Starter
grumpy old man

I was amusing myself with an idea for a boat I would want for me and my dog if it ever came to that. This boat is highly personal and the antithesis to the modern production boat. It is obviously based on the hull of the carbon cutters. Just me having some fun while I worked with the Italian intern.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/156602...posted-public/

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
post #988 of 1164 Old 07-09-2017

You could use the crane to get the dog on deck from the dinghy!

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #989 of 1164 Old 07-10-2017

I have been reading this thread for 2 days now to cover it up to here. This thread has kept my attention far more than any other I have enjoyed on the many boating forums out there.
Thank you Bob for bringing this production of these vessels to this group and to the others for asking all the questions I would have asked had I just busted into this at the front of the line instead of reading it from the beginning.
Bob, this thread has gotten more attention than any I can recall having been aboard through some years. What is more it will be here for untold numbers into the foreseeable future to enjoy as well. You need have never worried about the numbers attracted to the string, the numbers are astronomical.
Do not expect a LOT of people to chime in or ask questions. This is like the first few days in a new class to many and we simply do not want to wear out the teacher with questions that we might look back on as being stupid later once we learn more. Years of sailing experience is NOT years of nautical engineering and design experience, despite any and all sufferage at the hands of sub par materials and design OR the delights of being on the other end. Most are quite satisfied with being allowed a seat here to view the unfolding of the application of such new materials and technologies onto the open sea and are quite happy to just read and learn and be silent.
post #990 of 1164 Old 07-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySnipe View Post
I have been reading this thread for 2 days now to cover it up to here. This thread has kept my attention far more than any other I have enjoyed on the many boating forums out there.
Thank you Bob for bringing this production of these vessels to this group and to the others for asking all the questions I would have asked had I just busted into this at the front of the line instead of reading it from the beginning.
Bob, this thread has gotten more attention than any I can recall having been aboard through some years. What is more it will be here for untold numbers into the foreseeable future to enjoy as well. You need have never worried about the numbers attracted to the string, the numbers are astronomical.
Do not expect a LOT of people to chime in or ask questions. This is like the first few days in a new class to many and we simply do not want to wear out the teacher with questions that we might look back on as being stupid later once we learn more. Years of sailing experience is NOT years of nautical engineering and design experience....
Yes and it is building great suspense as well. I can't wait to see the first one hit the water!
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in