Why don't people like double Enders? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 120Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 101 Old 04-28-2016
I can't re Member

Re: Why don't people like double Enders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Newt:
The first boat is a new custom boat for a Swedish client to be built in Germany.
Wow! That's a real sleeper. Old school above the waterline, 'watch my canoe stern horizon you' below. Can't wait to see that build.
RichH, zeehag and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.

PSC Orion 27
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 101 Old 04-28-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Its not perceived bias which is unfounded. Its just vastly archaic design.
I don't think this is a fair statement. It is premised on the assumption that what is done now is inherently superior to something that has been done (off and on) for a long time.

The reality is that the presumed benefits over a squared transom, as it turns out, aren't really there. And, there are space drawbacks, when compared to a squared transom design. Those considerations have made it a less popular design decision in recent years.

But, a LOT of sailboat design decisions are made around aesthetics rather than practicality. We like the look of things that project what we think sailing is about. Indeed, why do we even have exposed wood on ANY boat? I don't think you could level the same criticism, that wood is a vastly archaic material. It is used because people like it.

Well, some do, some don't.

But, just because something may not be currently fashionable among boat designers doesn't make it archaic.

Cheers,
-Faris
post #23 of 101 Old 04-28-2016

Thank goodness there's room for this:

And this:

.. and just about everything in between!

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

post #24 of 101 Old 04-28-2016
美國佬

On my Pacific Seacraft 25, the tiller would slam from side to side when the boat wasn't moving, as when docked. I don't know how common that is to double-ended boats, but the tiller on my Whitby 25 stays put no matter what. Also, it can be really awkward to mount an outboard on a double-ended boat. Mine had a triangular bracket that worked OK, but the prop could still hit the rudder on tight turns.

[IMG][/IMG]

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland

Last edited by willyd; 04-28-2016 at 09:23 PM.
post #25 of 101 Old 04-29-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Newt:
The first boat is a new custom boat for a Swedish client to be built in Germany.
What are the dimensions on this beauty?
Any interior drawings?
post #26 of 101 Old 04-29-2016
grumpy old man

Knut:
I'll get some more drawings up on this project later today for you.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
post #27 of 101 Old 04-29-2016
Barquito

In a week, I'm going to drive half way across the country to survey a Valiant 32. I like the aesthetic.

Some 'double-enders' carry more volume aft than others. This helps with storage a little. The one I am looking at, also, forgoes the quarter berth for more storage from the cockpit.

I think anyone who needs/wants the large interior space aft of modern boats, wouldn't like any of the older boats. Wouldn't matter if they had transoms, or not.
bobperry likes this.

Valiant 32
post #28 of 101 Old 04-29-2016

Barquito hit a lot of the nail on the head. A friend of mine is selling a beautiful early 60's Luders 44. While I like the look of the boat, it has about as much room inside as my mid 80's 30' Jeanneau. But what a classic old navy sailing training boat design. Compare it to the one the navy recently had designed up, built by Morris Yachts......Almost like the to boats compared by Faster, assuming the same length etc.

If you want to go a lot over hull speed, a double ender canoe bottom boat will not do as well as a fat arsed boat.

But like the boat Bob posted for his German client, or the Morris M series, many older looking about the waterline, have a modern faster better sailing characteristic underwater appendages. so Classic look and design, but a faster boat!

With all boats, choose what you want to look at, be seen in, sails like you want it too etc.

Marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #29 of 101 Old 04-29-2016
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

people are sheep. they dislike and diss that which they cannot understand. or cannot have.
is simple.

perry still makes this allegedly antiquated design not be so antiquated.
garden made heart shaped transoms to make best of both worlds.. space and shape to handle seas.
flat transoms were made for racers for sledding down seas.
each boat has its own points...
nothing antiquated about handling seas with ease and comfort.
bobperry, oysterman23 and seabeau like this.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #30 of 101 Old 04-29-2016
grumpy old man

I think Barquito makes a very good point. Take any older boat with or without a transom and you will find a lot less volume aft than today's production boats. Today it's all about volume and cockpit size.
knuterikt and outbound like this.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in