Judge this Keel - Moody 42 Shoal draft - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 02-13-2018
Banned

Re: Judge this Keel - Moody 42 Shoal draft

Hey, I saw you in one of those videos Jeff - where they were interviewing you. I'll have to go back and find these others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 02-13-2018 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
One final note, I have been spending a lot of time around a slightly earlier Moody, and I have been appalled by the dismal build quality of that boat. I don't know whether Moody upped their game or not in the 10 years between the boat that I have gotten to know and the time that this boat was built.

Jeff
I would suggest on the more modern Moodys build quality was quite reasonable from the boats we have seen but by no means on par with the high end builders like say a Hallberg Rassy.

I note John Neal on his website describes their build quality as 'similar to Catalina'.

Thanks for the great write up Jeff. Appreciated and food for thought.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-13-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
I apologize for picking nits, but that is not a Scheel keel. I own one. That thing has some kind of flat wings. A Scheel is more like a squashed elephant's foot or a modified bulb.
[/url]
Hey, doesn't matter to me - a Scheel is only a slightly modified bulb anyway. But Moody and presumably Bill Dixon described it as a Scheel keel. If you look at it from directly in front, it does look very similar to your "elephant foot" diagrams; the pictures just don't show it very well. The Moody version does have small winglets added. I don't have a picture from the front but here is one from when I looked at it that shows the shape a little better.
Attached Thumbnails
Moody42 main.jpg  

"The great thing about the internet is that you can quote anyone and no one will bother to check the source" - Aristotle

post #14 of 18 Old 02-13-2018

Quote:
The boat that I have been getting intimately familiar with is a mid-1980's era Moody 34. You can see that boat in Youtube Series "Sailing Nevous'. I have been amazed at the poor glasswork, and less than stellar engineering on this boat. Regarding the glass work there is a huge amount of non-directional cloth, tabbing is incomplete and lightly done (even on the major structural bulkheads). The Youtube series shows many of the issues that they have discovered and are working to repair. I show up in a few episodes. The deck gear and rigging is a mix of some nice details and some really cheesy, bottom of the barrel kind of details.

While the interior was a nice layout and looked nicely done, the details were not all that well executed once you saw the backs of the cabinetry.

I will also note that back in the 1980's when my boat was in a marina, there was a Primrose era Moody in the next slip to mine that an acquaintance was restoring. That boat was shockingly crudely built as well. I had heard that Moody's quality had greatly improved over the years, and there is no doubt that the 1980's era 'Sailing Nervous' Moody is a much nicer built boat than the earlier Moody. I will also note that I have been on two larger and more modern Moodys and they seemed to be lovely boats but I did not study those for construction details like I was able to with the earlier boats.

Jeff
Thanks for that, Jeff. Very interesting.
The bigger Moodys, particularly the 54, have a descent reputation for quality, at least in the U.K. I wonder if they cut corners on the smaller boats.

"The great thing about the internet is that you can quote anyone and no one will bother to check the source" - Aristotle
post #15 of 18 Old 02-13-2018
Banned

Here's our very own Jeff_H waxing brilliant...

Good stuff, Jeff.
chall03 likes this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-13-2018 at 10:13 PM.
post #16 of 18 Old 02-14-2018 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
I actually tried to buy the boat in your first picture but was outbid. Incidentally it had been on the hard with blocked cockpit drains and there was significant water damage.

That is a Scheel keel (details of which you can find via google) which, according to the research I did at the time, sails very well. Unfortunately I never got to the point of actually sailing it. BTW, Moody used high tensile steel keel bolts which have to be sealed to prevent corrosion and warrant a close inspection on any boat you are looking at.

I found Moody Owners Association ( moodyowners.org ) friendly and helpful.
Thanks Geoff.

This is not the actual Moody 42 I'm looking at, but just the most convenient picture of the shoal keel variant I could find! Sorry to hear that this particular boat did not work out for you in the end.

The feedback I have had is also that they sail quite well (given that they are clearly not mean't to be a light air flyer) which is possibly at odds with some of Jeff's analysis but as he also suggests physics aside an owner can simply be satisfied with performance of their individual boat for their individual needs.

Thankyou also for the heads up on the keel bolts.

Quote:
In the end, the shoal draft keel will roll more easily, faster, and through a wider angle, and will have some mix of poorer light air performance, will heel more in a breeze, make greater leeway, not make as good VMG to windward, and will burn more fuel when motoring. This of course may be offset by the flip side that you can get into shallower water and that might be worth the price to some people for having a shallower keel.
I am not surprised by your analysis I guess the question for me is to what degree, which is a hard thing to quantify and clearly yes only I can answer specifically to our individual needs and preferences.

post #17 of 18 Old 02-14-2018 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Here's our very own Jeff_H waxing brilliant...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFikuL7RjJs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvFx3xhS3wU

Good stuff, Jeff.
Awwww look at the way he holds that wheel while looking longingly out to sea.....
He is like our very own Brad Pitt.

A veritable internet superstar!

Smack how much of his grey hair is your fault?

Last edited by chall03; 02-14-2018 at 04:44 AM.
post #18 of 18 Old 02-14-2018
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Smack how much of his grey hair is your fault?
Why, I don't know what you mean.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in