Sirius XM - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Sailing Music Videos and links to your favorite Sailing Music.

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 02-14-2017 Thread Starter

Re: Sirius XM

I didn't explain my data needs/cost very well . First my cell bill is about $40 per month . If I could a data plan for a total phone bill of say around $50 . per month I think I could get that through the finance department .
Towguy we listen to 2 classic rock stations one is called classic rewind the other is classic vinyl , I think the former one with Nancy Aldren where she is doing her DJ thing from the rock hall of fame has the most talk . First a announcer comes on to introduce Nancy then Nancy comes on and does her DJ thing , if they only did that say once a hour I could live with it but they do it about after every 3rd song . Classic vinyl is just as bad and they make up these stupid comments about the songs . My favorite station is the one they call lithium 90s' grunge , Ms.westi will not let me play that one when she is on the boat . And I have to admit I only like about half the stuff they play , but the talk is kept to a minimum and it is interesting (sometimes). There are a couple of other classic rock stations we listen to like Little Stevens' under ground garage and some jazz/blues stations but they all have pretty much the same format of talking . I did not give up my old cell phone quietly , I had a Samsung slider I loved that thing well it fizzled and my buddy the Don gave me his IPhone 4 . It took a dump so I got another slider . It stopped working and Don had another I 4 he gave to me and thats where I'm at now . Pandora is in the future and I will also look into Spodify . Now I just have to get that magic number data plan .
Here is a picture of the Don on my soon to be I Phone .

Westsail 28 , Patricia A

Last edited by Markwesti; 02-14-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 02-14-2017

There are no DJs on Pandora, but unlesss you pay the vig (which I do not), you will get a commercial about every 20 mins. However, the channel selections are limitless. You simply tell it what you like.
Markwesti likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #13 of 21 Old 02-14-2017 Thread Starter

Yes Minnewaska , no DJ's and last time I had it on the boat I was on their $5. a month plan with no commercials . But stupid me I didn't know I was using data .

Westsail 28 , Patricia A

Last edited by Markwesti; 02-14-2017 at 12:53 PM.

post #14 of 21 Old 02-14-2017

Ya I like lithium sometimes,but also not when wife's along ,same with octane,..my go to channell when I a getting drowsy..sometimes it's good to do a trip with something like ..the 60,s.. Did that when I went to pick up my S2 ,a 9 hr round trip,(I cheated and just pulled boat and trailer up on the 28 ft deck,no stress of lights and bearings),the thing is I can just listen to Latin music or reggae as my mind wants or hockey and hockey talk this time of year,no politics,no news,no commercials,yes I guess they do talk a bit in between sets but it usually pertains to the music,although I don't know what they are saying on the Latin or French channels?? I would go stir crazy listening to the same cd,s over& over especially when I am way out where there isn't any radio service or cell coverage for that matter,we have come a long way from 8-tracks and I appreciate that!!......Ralph
Markwesti likes this.

Northern Alberta. "85" C/L 16. ,"85"S2 7.9 under repair.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 21 Old 02-14-2017
S/V Caper Nonsuch 36

Many years ago I bought Sirius radio w/a lifetime subscription for $400.00. I lived in the sticks and radio reception was difficult. Works great, use it in both the truck/boat and in the house. I listen to mostly blues and yes the chatter has increased with the years, but light years better than commercial. I'm told this plan is no longer available.
Markwesti and seabeau like this.
post #16 of 21 Old 02-14-2017

Mmm yes I remember those lifetime subscription offers,shoulda,coulda... Also like I said earlier if you just get a antena kit for each vehicle or boat you can move a portable around,and use the jack to plug in any kind of system,only one contract..course that doesn't help if someone else wants it at the same time.. When I have wi-fi in the house,yard Or when I was in the hospital I liked Tunein radio lots of options and totally free..aardvark blues,best station ever............in the states do you still have to choose between Sirius & xm?. Ralph

Northern Alberta. "85" C/L 16. ,"85"S2 7.9 under repair.
post #17 of 21 Old 02-14-2017 Thread Starter

It's SiriusXM now Ralph , they merged . Before the merger I had XM I liked their song programming (selection) and there was very little talk . I think my favorite station was XM cafe to me it was just the right mix of new and old mellow stuff I learned of many new and old artists . SiriusXM has a version of it but it's not the same . One thing , although I have never tried it is you can customize the stations you like . I thought OK this will be grate I can customize so I will just get music ... Wrong .
seabeau likes this.

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
post #18 of 21 Old 02-16-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrod View Post
Many years ago I bought Sirius radio w/a lifetime subscription for $400.00. I lived in the sticks and radio reception was difficult. Works great, use it in both the truck/boat and in the house. I listen to mostly blues and yes the chatter has increased with the years, but light years better than commercial. I'm told this plan is no longer available.
I bought lifetime subscriptions for one of our cars and the boat back when it was Sirius. It seems like they're trying VERY hard to get rid of those lifetime folks. They somehow "lost" the subscription for the car after the merger and claimed they had no way to re-enter it into their merged system. They refunded part of the cost but obviously the monthly cost outpaced the refund in a hurry. Unfortunately it was for the wife's car and she didn't want to cancel it at the time

Now they keep sending me letters saying the hardware we have on the boat (Sirius stiletto) is no longer supported and will stop working in 2015, 2016, 2017 due to a format change. It hasn't yet. I called their tech support I asked "It's a satellite receiver. You can't change the format or every receiver out there will stop working, so what's the problem?" Three transfers later still no answer. The lifetime is also supposed to be able to be transferred to a new receiver up to four times. Tech support said they didn't know if they could still transfer the service. So lifetime really isn't lifetime. I guess they don't care if they lose you as a customer because you're not paying a monthly fee

For now the receiver on the boat keeps chugging along. But since cell coverage has improved so much along the Jersey shore I'm finding I listen to Pandora and Plex most of the time anyway.

BTW, the song selection on Sirius also dropped after the merger. It's not unusual to hear the same songs repeatedly on different stations, and I'm noticing a lot more B-sides lately. I'm guessing they're cutting back on song selection to reduce their licensing fees...
Markwesti likes this.

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by JimMcGee; 02-16-2017 at 04:08 PM.
post #19 of 21 Old 02-16-2017 Thread Starter

+1 Jim , question if you have a data plan that lets you play Pandora all you want why have SiriusXM at all ? And if you don't mind me asking what is your data plan carrier and how much does it cost . Another question is it the same cost to have a data plan for a tablet as compared to a phone ? Is the data plan for a tablet separate from a phone ? Thanks .

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
post #20 of 21 Old 02-16-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwesti View Post
+1 Jim , question if you have a data plan that lets you play Pandora all you want why have SiriusXM at all ? And if you don't mind me asking what is your data plan carrier and how much does it cost . Another question is it the same cost to have a data plan for a tablet as compared to a phone ? Is the data plan for a tablet separate from a phone ? Thanks .
We're with AT&T. We've got something like an 8 gig plan with rollover. The phone is also my secure hotspot for checking email and browsing the web with my laptop. Months that I travel I use a lot of data, the rest of the time not so much. With rollover I always have plenty of data available. And streaming music doesn't make much of a dent in my data anyway. I just plug the audio jack from the phone into the aux jack on the stereo and I'm good to go.

The upside of satellite is I do like some of the stations on XM/Sirius, it costs me nothing and reception is never an issue.

To stream using your tablet you'll need to buy a tablet that's set up for cellular.

OK Geek alert !
This summer I'm upgrading the old Sony with a new Fusion head that I can control with a new Garmin 741 at the helm (via FusionLink over NMEA 2000). I *think* the latest firmware upgrade will allow me to control Pandora streamed through my phone (running a FusionLink app) via Bluetooth to the Fusion head from the Garmin at the helm. That will inspire me to finally buy the Pandora commercial free upgrade.

Fusion is also rumored to be working on a Plex interface that will work the same way to stream via phone (I've got over 600 albums and a 100 or so music videos on my Plex server). The problem with that approach is you lose fidelity with Bluetooth. Since I already have a miniplug cable run from the helm to the stereo for the current Sony remote I may use that and an old smartphone in a waterproof case as a music interface.

What I'm not sure about is how good or spotty cellular service will be when we get to the Keys, so satellite may become more important for us there and I may end up installing a music server on the boat for when I'm sick of satellite.

Yeah, yeah I know, but I really like music and I really enjoy playing with the electronics.

Geek out !
Markwesti and Minnesail like this.

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by JimMcGee; 02-16-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in