Best sailing music - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Sailing Music Videos and links to your favorite Sailing Music.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 09-17-2017

Re: Best sailing music

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Jephotog, thanks for listening and watching the vid. It was a great way to make a living for me, probably the best job I ever had, and I loved every minute of being on stage.
I have seen some of your other videos this one touched me more. Sailing and reggae music goes well together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Smack, 20 minutes of bluegrass music is about all I can handle in a year.
I really like bluegrass. I am not sure if Smacky's music is bluegrass or polka played on banjo and guitar. If you think bluegrass sounds the same how about rap. Imagine combining the two. You get Ganstagrass.

https://www.thisismyjam.com/song/gan...g-rambler-live.

My musical taste is very eclectic. Just before my last sailing trip I discovered this video and showed it to my wife and we could not stop laughing. This got played or sung more than any other music over a two week sail.

https://youtu.be/U9t-slLl30E

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jephotog; 09-17-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 11-04-2017

Send a message via AIM to SailingStNick

Jack Johnson

Roaming the Mississippi Sound

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 18 Old 11-04-2017

I just finished recording From Russia With Love, using the built in recorder on my arranger keyboard, which I used when performing in the Florida keys last year. Difficult song to put together, especially when your lungs are shot to Hell. Here's my rendition. https://app.box.com/s/sg0fsz2z32xisjjvc17iwp0avpof959n

Enjoy,

Gary

Last edited by travlin-easy; 11-04-2017 at 10:28 PM.

post #14 of 18 Old 11-04-2017

The one that makes your girl want sexy time....
post #15 of 18 Old 06-19-2018

The weather here in Maryland, today, has been downright nasty. Temperature is near 93 degrees f, humidity 71 percent, with a heat index of about 104 degrees f. Added to that is a code red air pollution alert, which means old farts, young children and individuals with lung conditions should stay indoors in air conditioned comfort, which I did because I fit in two of the three categories.

As the day progressed, I began to get bored and decided to sit down at my trusty Yamaha Keyboard and try to do an Eric Clapton song, Hoochie Coochie Man, which was featured in the movie Road House. It took a while to find a suitable style, and because of my nasty lung condition, I had to crank up the gain a bit on the mic, but it sounded OK so I decided to record it using the onboard recorder as a one shot deal.

The next time my son comes for a visit, I'll ask him to bring his guitar and we'll get some fantastic guitar licks in as well.

I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed recording this song, Hoochie Coochie Man

Gary
post #16 of 18 Old 06-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
.... Just before my last sailing trip I discovered this video and showed it to my wife and we could not stop laughing. This got played or sung more than any other music over a two week sail.

https://youtu.be/U9t-slLl30E
OK, that was just plain AWESOME!! I'm so mad I just found this thread today and could have been listening to that since last September! Thanks, jephotog... made my day!

Here's to one of the best friends and companions I've ever had; the white GSD in my avatar. Passed away suddenly on Aug 14, 2017, at 9 1/2 years of age. We love and miss you, Mel, and we will be together again.
post #17 of 18 Old 06-19-2018

I'll play "Grinch" on this one. As a lifelong professional musician (whose father is also a lifelong professional musician), my favorite sailing music is wind, wave, and hull noise, period. Short story.. when I was a kid, my Dad and I use to go fishing in remote areas of Quebec for 10 days at a time, backwoods camping totally off the grid. The first couple times we went up, there were times we didn't see a human from the time we entered the preserve until we left it. Eventually, the reserve/park was "improved," you couldn't camp on the islands, had to camp in designated mainland areas, etc... more people, even RVs, . One time we were camping and another pair of guys set up camp a little ways away from us and cranked up their tunes around the campfire late at night. I went over, said Hi, offered'em some of our beers (Labatt back in those days... 70's?), and said something like, "Isn't it great to get away from it all.. work, etc., and just enjoy the great outdoors?" Of course, they enthusiastically agreed. Then I told them that music was my Dad and my work, sort of laughing about it. They were great.. I didn't even have to ask.. they turned it down, we enjoyed our beers, and a few days later when they got their boat trailer stuck Dad and I helped them get out. No worries.

But.. yeah. I love music (and, to be honest hate a lot of what passes for popular music) and totally understand why people like to keep it on in the background as sort of a "soundtrack" to their lives. For me, I listen so analytically to it even as I experience the emotional power of it that it blots out or dampens my experience of anythign else if it's on. I can't even hold a conversation sometimes, because my ear just automatically gravitates to figuring out chord changes, keys, problems in performances, fingerings, blah blah blah, and ignores whatever the person I'm talking to is saying.

Sooo... I'd rather enjoy sailing at the utmost than be distracted by anything other than the sounds produced by nature and the boat.

When NOT sailing but wishing I was, the following seems to capture the feel for me...

Stan Getz/Astrud Gilberto - Corcovado

Stan Getz - Manha de Carnival from "Big Band Bossa Nova"

Michael Franks - "Tahitian Moon"

Here's to one of the best friends and companions I've ever had; the white GSD in my avatar. Passed away suddenly on Aug 14, 2017, at 9 1/2 years of age. We love and miss you, Mel, and we will be together again.

Last edited by bblument; 06-19-2018 at 01:09 PM.
post #18 of 18 Old 08-05-2018
JayBoy

Salty Dick is a good one.
Nic Jones -Barack st is one of my favoriteshttps://youtu.be/prSd6DaoSwQ

Tags
#song

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in