I was told that for safety offshore you need 45 - Page 11 - SailNet Community
Sailnet.com Polls Participate in our weekly surveys to help us better understand who the members of the community are and what you're interested in. NEW!

134Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 139 Old 02-18-2018

Re: I was told that for safety offshore you need 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Excellent point. One should also consider having an incapacitated crew member along the way too. btdt

In a way, this can be where tankage matters offshore. An insufficient crew is likely to need to motor more.
YES! I bunkered enough fuel to motor... from NY to Bermuda and from Bermuda to Caribbean ~1,000nm). Longer than that I would need lot's more fuel.

I actually DID motor once from St Marten to NY! YIKES!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 139 Old 02-18-2018

Quote:
Excellent point. One should also consider having an incapacitated crew member along the way too. btdt

In a way, this can be where tankage matters offshore. An insufficient crew is likely to need to motor more.
HA! Your going to depend on an incapacitated crew member to motor you along? Another fools's errand here!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #103 of 139 Old 02-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
HA! Your going to depend on an incapacitated crew member to motor you along? Another fools's errand here!
Not sure if that was humor or confusion on your part.

In my experience, the incapacitated crew are down below..... incapacitated. The remainder of the crew found they had to motor more, as they were too short handed on the sails. On one occasion, I was the one incapacitated from getting deathly ill and was the strongest sailor aboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #104 of 139 Old 02-18-2018

^^^ you never know how the sickness thing is going to play out. Great lakes crossing in May, 35 ft boat, not just rough, but it was cold too. Had a 10 month old with us, so he had to stay below for the cold, but all other adults were too seasick to go below. They would become incapacitated with sickness if they went below. So, all the adults except me (the owner and skipper) had to remain in the cockpit while the skipper hung out below with the baby. Worked okay because my nav station was down below and there was one other strong sailor on board up on deck, but it was an unusual set of circumstances.

Last edited by Arcb; 02-18-2018 at 02:09 PM.
post #105 of 139 Old 02-18-2018
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
^^^ you never know how the sickness thing is going to play out. Great lakes crossing in May, 35 ft boat, not just rough, but it was cold too. Had a 10 month old with us, so he had to stay below for the cold, but all other adults were too seasick to go below. They would become incapacitated with sickness if they went below. ...
Along the same lines, my partner suffers from mal de mer. She’s copes incredibly well, but when things get bumpy she has a hard time functioning down below. She’s never missed a watch, but it means I end up taking over most galley tasks, and other down-below duties.

Since we’re a two-person crew, this means we have to protect her from getting too seasick, and we have to protect me from trying to do too much and missing too much sack time.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #106 of 139 Old 02-18-2018
Land lubber

I was told that for safety offshore you need 45.

I would recommend 12 gauge, not .45. It is easier to hit what you are aiming for.

post #107 of 139 Old 02-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Along the same lines, my partner suffers from mal de mer. She’s copes incredibly well, but when things get bumpy she has a hard time functioning down below. She’s never missed a watch, but it means I end up taking over most galley tasks, and other down-below duties.

Since we’re a two-person crew, this means we have to protect her from getting too seasick, and we have to protect me from trying to do too much and missing too much sack time.
Mike, on a longer trip does this pass, for her, after a few days or does the seasickness continue throughout the voyage?
post #108 of 139 Old 02-18-2018
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeterrier View Post
Mike, on a longer trip does this pass, for her, after a few days or does the seasickness continue throughout the voyage?
She tells me it persists, but she seems to manage it increasingly well the longer we’re on board. Interestingly, when things get really snarly she tells me she no longer feels the seasickness, so that’s good.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #109 of 139 Old 02-18-2018
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
I'm sure these are all true (maybe less so for the oven explosion), but they are all a factor of occurrence too. One is going to drag anchor more often than hit an offshore survival storm, because one anchors 1000x more than one makes an offshore passage.
My point was for the average cruiser complacency with these everyday situations is a bigger real danger than the perfect storm.

The Oven exploding? Faulty gas installations on yachts have resulted in two fatalities here locally that I know of.

However perfect storms and big oceans make for more exciting Sailnet threads.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

The Following User Says Thank You to chall03 For This Useful Post:
Arcb (02-15-2019)
post #110 of 139 Old 02-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
when things get really snarly she tells me she no longer feels the seasickness, so that’s good.
That warm fuzzy feeling when fear over rides seasickness

MikeOReilly and capta like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in