I was told that for safety offshore you need 45 - Page 4 - SailNet Community
Sailnet.com Polls Participate in our weekly surveys to help us better understand who the members of the community are and what you're interested in. NEW!

134Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 139 Old 02-12-2018

Re: I was told that for safety offshore you need 45

Capta can you post for me. I’ve learned from you and like that to continue.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
The Following User Says Thank You to outbound For This Useful Post:
capta (02-12-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 139 Old 02-12-2018

Friends have crossed the Atlantic six times in their Hood 38 centerboarder. They couldn't get insurance to go more than 150 miles offshore until they had logged several trips from the NY metro to Newfoundland. They're currently planning a sprint circumnavigation.

Webb Chiles is sailing a Moore 24, which Ron Moore, who co-designed and built the Moore 24, described the 2,050 lb. boat to me as "an elegant hot rod".
post #33 of 139 Old 02-12-2018

H that’s common for any boat. Even the insurance companies understand experience matters. Although I had done multiple Bermuda races and had decades of coastal cruising insurance required a captain for my first passage Newport-BVI. Then required two vetted crew plus myself for the next one. Then had no requirements other than I be on the boat. My passage rider has progressively fallen in cost inspite of no change in insured value.
Although insurance is a rip off they aren’t stupid.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #34 of 139 Old 02-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Another guide to look at is the history of recreational boating. Cruising really began in the 1960s with the mass marketing of fibreglass boats. In the early days the BIG boats were low to mid-30s. From the late 1970s to the late 80s the BIG boats were upper 30s to low 40s. Into the 1990s and 2000s the size moved up to mid to upper 40s. Now the BIG boats are mid 50s to low 60s.

What does correlate well is general affluence and the related demands for more “creature comforts.” This explains the increase in boat size far better than any safety factors.
Mike,

This is thought provoking. The "naval architecture" for longer LOA boats has been there for a long time.. but as you point out the market had not yet grown to that.

Do you think this was because sailors conception of sailing has changed from mostly a day use to a weekend use to a term use (cruising)? Obviously there are many day use sailors... racers... Sunday afternoon sails... My own observations confirms this. And there is a lot of week ending to a relatively nearby harbor... witness the transient mooring business which has been stood up.

If there initial demand was day use, racing and weekending... there was little need for the robust offshore capable designs... as well as the long LOA boats.

I suspect that with weekending... came the need for more comfortable accommodations. Sailors would even use their boats as week end homes...get close to nature... relax and or do some boat maintenance. But the capability to take your home with you to someplace 100 miles or more became a new meme. We seen size creep in houses as well to where McMansions are more the norm size wise in many markets rather than the exception.

++++

I did a lot of world travel before I began to sail by plane... Once I acquired the capability to "travel" by sea in my own boat... this became the platform for my travels. It's a lot more work that flying... and it limits destinations accessible to me. But long journeys... take lots of time and if one can have some of the comforts of home.... longer LOA... why not? But this is expensive and only makes sense if you travel and or if you have the funds to do it this way. So it becomes a compromise.

I often think how fortunate I was to be born in the era when this sort of travel was possible and relatively attainable.

How bout that!
MikeOReilly likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #35 of 139 Old 02-12-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormon6 View Post
A smaller boat surfing down the face of a big wave generates tremendous speed. When it reaches the bottom of the wave, it can bury its bow under water, and the following wave causes it to trip over its own bow. A longer boat won't generate as much speed, and a boat with a broader bow will have more buoyancy in the bow, which will help the bow lift when it reaches the bottom of the wave, instead of burying its bow.
That's what warps and drogues are for. Slow you down and keep things manageable.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #36 of 139 Old 02-12-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgenl View Post
Webb Chiles seem to be doing OK in his San Juan 24?
Moore 24. Very different boat, but your point is taken.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #37 of 139 Old 02-12-2018
Abysmally Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Moore 24. Very different boat, but your point is taken.
Yes, sorry, I might nave gotten the boat mixed up with the other legend, Rimas? ;-)
Ajax_MD, Minnesail and Arcb like this.
post #38 of 139 Old 02-12-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
H that’s common for any boat. Even the insurance companies understand experience matters. Although I had done multiple Bermuda races and had decades of coastal cruising insurance required a captain for my first passage Newport-BVI. Then required two vetted crew plus myself for the next one. Then had no requirements other than I be on the boat. My passage rider has progressively fallen in cost inspite of no change in insured value.
Although insurance is a rip off they aren’t stupid.
I find this really interesting. Over the years the insurance companies I've dealt with didn't seem to care at all whether I was inexperienced or licensed up the ying yang. I can't remember ever having to produce a ticket even when I was operating the big motor yachts, except when seeking charter insurance, and even then there was little interest in it other than it existed.
I've never gotten the slightest discount because of my tickets, experience or record either, which seems radically unfair.
MikeOReilly likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #39 of 139 Old 02-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by WharfRat View Post
I certainly do not. Safety is much more a function of the skill and wisdom of the skipper and crew, and the matching of the boat's capabilities to the work to which it is put.

For example, look at this list of circumnavigators:

http://www.latitude38.com/features/circumnav.htm

and you'll see a great many -- possibly even most -- are under 45 feet.

Certainly the current trend in bluewater cruising is more in the 50+ range, but that's more about comfort than actual safety.
Can you repost this link; the one above is dead.
post #40 of 139 Old 02-12-2018
still boatless

Yeah weird they have put some sort of access control on it.

If you Google for "Latitude 38 Circumnavigators" then it will bring up a hashed URL like this one

Latitude 38 - West Coast Circumnavigators' List
MikeOReilly and Arcb like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in