What Sports did You Participate In? - SailNet Community
Sailnet.com Polls Participate in our weekly surveys to help us better understand who the members of the community are and what you're interested in. NEW!

View Poll Results: What sports did you participate in?
Team sports like Football or basketball 14 45.16%
Individual sports like wrestling, boxing, or tennis 16 51.61%
No organized sports 9 29.03%
I never went to high school 1 3.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 03-17-2018 Thread Starter

What Sports did You Participate In?

I am on the advisory board of our local community college HVAC/R program and we are always looking for ways to maximize the recruiting efforts of the college when addressing high school students. We did a quick informal poll of those who were on the board who either owned a business or were in management of what sports they participated in during their high school years. About 90% of us were wrestlers and the consensus was that since wrestling was an individual sport where you were on your own and owning a service business puts you in the same position that perhaps there was a correlation there. It occurred to me that sailing can also be an individual type of endeavor but the majority on this board seem to be more of the collectivist type so I can't help but wonder what the members of this forum participated in during their high school years. Individual sports like wrestling, tennis, or golf? Or team sports like football, basketball, or baseball, although while pitching for a slow pitch softball team for ten years taught me that the pitchers position on any type of ball team puts you on an island. So, if you choose to participate, were you on any organized sports teams during your youth?

Last edited by Rocky Mountain Breeze; 03-17-2018 at 10:05 PM. Reason: I am smarter than I thought.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 03-18-2018

Re: What Sports did You Participate In?

I was the Captain of both the Football and Lacrosse teams in High School and played in college too. I also played a little tennis, basketball and baseball, in community leagues, when I was young. I picked up golf in college. I'm also a competitive sporting clay shooter. I'm not much into organized buoy sail racing, but bring on a distance race anytime.

I wrestled for one season. Absolutely hated it. In 8th grade, they brought the High School Freshman wrestling team over to the Middle School to demonstrate the sport, during physical ed class. I pinned their star, the first time I ever participated in the sport. The High School coach brought me up and brow beat me into joining the team. It wasn't the individual aspect that I hated, it was the sport itself. It's a very athletic sport, but not the kind of eye/hand coordination activity that I enjoyed better. I really hated the idea of weight management and, in those days, it was extreme. High school kids starving themselves, taking laxatives, wearing sweating bags, etc. I think those practices are banned now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 42 Old 03-18-2018

After little league which I recall ended in junior high school I was done with sports... Tennis and Skiing through my 30s. Not interested in contact sports or competition... As a spectator I prefer dance.... and these artists are very athletic.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #4 of 42 Old 03-18-2018

Dock

Wrestling and boxing were banned at our school (and I think the state or the whole of Australia) as they should be banned as they are just fighting.

A schools are predominantly team sports as they are much cheaper and easier to organise.

There's definitely no school sport that cause buisness wealth...

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #5 of 42 Old 03-18-2018

Sailing, swimming, badminton and tennis, but none were organised by the school they were all external club sports.

Badminton and sailing were my favourites.

EDIT: I consider both badminton and tennis team sports because you often play doubles.

Last edited by Arcb; 03-18-2018 at 09:14 AM.
post #6 of 42 Old 03-18-2018

Water Polo and Swimming in High School. Water Polo at the collegiate level too. Turned down the full ride to USC to go to a smaller school..where there was snow for my first passion, skiing.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #7 of 42 Old 03-18-2018 Thread Starter

Interesting responses so far. Thanks.
Mark: We were thinking about the mental aspects between a sport and the willingness to step off the edge of the secure feeling of working for a check or being completely at the mercy of your own wits and abilities.

Last edited by Rocky Mountain Breeze; 03-18-2018 at 04:02 PM.
post #8 of 42 Old 03-18-2018
Master Mariner

I'm not sure where one would put sailing on your pole. That was my major sport, but it had nothing to do with school, as I raced a Thunderbird for 7 seasons in Frisco Bay during my HS years. I also crewed on a 65' schooner, teaching college girls to sail (or at least that was what we called it), but maybe that was more biology class than a sport?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #9 of 42 Old 03-18-2018
Catalina 400 MKII

Surfing and sailing. Still do both!
post #10 of 42 Old 03-18-2018

Skiing,,downhill,GS,some slalom,,,,crosscontry and mountaineering for rec in high school ,,,the cross country running team( ind sport I think) ,,,,pioneering,outdoor skills in Scouts definetly team efforts,,,we were certified S/R troop lnterior of B.C.....Ralph

Northern Alberta. "85" C/L 16. ,"85"S2 7.9 under repair.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in