Poll: What do you wear Cruising & Going Ashore? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
Sailnet.com Polls Participate in our weekly surveys to help us better understand who the members of the community are and what you're interested in. NEW!

View Poll Results: What do you Wear Cruising & Going Ashore?
Synthetic only 7 20.59%
Cotton/Natural only 9 26.47%
A mix of both 14 41.18%
Really don't care/ whatever Wife/Hubbie/Mom tells me 5 14.71%
Nudie Rudie (at sea!) 3 8.82%
Sailing Logo clothes 3 8.82%
Non-Logo sailing clothes 8 23.53%
I do not dress like a cruiser/sailor 5 14.71%
Blazer & Captains Cap 3 8.82%
Blazer only (Special occasions) 1 2.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 Old 06-14-2019
bell ringer

Re: Poll: What do you wear Cruising & Going Ashore?

Iíve gone through 2 cotton tee shirts today that became so wet with sweat that they were unless

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 06-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Dry skin both stays cooler and warmer. Wicking fabrics take it away from your body to the outside surface of the fabric. There it evaporates and cools the fabric which in turn cools you. Itís the micro environment a millimeter on top of your skin that matters.. To my knowledge only silk is the natural fabric thatís real competition. Unfortunately itís even more expensive than the high tech fabrics. Do use a layer of silk under thermal underwear but itís not appropriate for the boat.
Silk is great for cold weather activities. It's super comfy and wicks water away from the skin almost as well as synthetics.

But it's even more expensive than the high-tech stuff, and at least for me it wears out a lot quicker. So I've been sticking with Patagonia Capilene (polyester) for a winter baselayer.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #33 of 39 Old 06-14-2019

ďSyntheticĒ doesnít mean today what it meant back in the golden age of polyester.

Under Armour changed the game about 20 years ago and things have been evolving steadily since then.

All of my polo style shirts are wicking fabrics now because they are much more comfortable than heavy wet cotton on hot muggy days that we have lots of here in south Florida. They are also inexpensive at Marshalls, T. J. Maxx, Steinmart, etc.

When I was up north West Marine would have a pretty decent apparel discount on July 4.

My T-shirts are still cotton because they mostly have come free from marine events, boat shows, fishing tournaments, etc. and that is what they offered.

At night, khakis and a cotton long sleeve button down oxford shirt.

I never wear sneakers anywhere near water. I learned that on a Bermuda trip many years ago when I got them wet, hung them on the lifeline and could not get the stink out of them. The decision was made for me and they went overboard.

I wear socks as seldom as possible.

Of course the most important thing is to wear material that is highly resistant to Grey Poupon for obvious reasons.
eherlihy and DinghyRace like this.

post #34 of 39 Old 06-14-2019

In tropics don’t wear shoes just sandals. No fungal troubles. We have land and boat sandals. New Keens that become land sandals when their soles get worn.
Similarly loose synthetic boxers prevent troubles there. Like Magellan version. Tightie whities are asking for trouble.
Bras are an issue. Wife says sport bras are hot (not sexy hot just hot). When no one is around she may forgo. Still she finds having enough multiples that you can change into a new clean one daily solves the salt chafing and other issues.
Biggest thing for us is the water maker. Rinse off seawater immediately after swimming/snorkeling and shower to cool off and get the dried salty sweat off as needed.
Personally find sunscreen a total waste of time. UV protecting clothes work much better and don’t stain the boats fabrics nor sweat off. Always wear a hat that protects the tops of my ears except when it would impede the chore I’m doing. Neither of us have ever gotten sunburned. Both of us are tanned everywhere in-spite of our efforts to limit sun exposure. Even swim/snorkel in a long sleeved shirt. Live is good in the tropics but just like you wouldn’t go out in to a blizzard in a T and shorts you need to dress or undress for the situation. Some days I don’t get past putting on my boxers or swim trunks. Bare foot is the norm on the boat. Issue is to get sufficient base you never burn or even get a little pink.
Please pass the gray poupon.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 06-14-2019 at 06:37 PM.
post #35 of 39 Old 06-14-2019

Good post...real life.

Ive not had a prob with salt...so far.
I rarely sweat on the boat, but can be like a stuck pick on land or with no breeze...talking bucket volumes
I dont have any 'shoes'. Keen cnx...3 pair in case they stop making them...
Have 5 or 6 jeans but havent worn any in 2 years.
Only type of pullovers i have are Ts...never like to feel trapped.

Just learn what works for you...all different.
post #36 of 39 Old 06-14-2019

I'm currently stuck in Newport, RI awaiting my engine repairs.

I went to a bar last night that is a bit off the main tourist strip just up from the North Sails headquarters and which is home to local sailors. I had to chuckle and then laugh out loud when I noticed I was almost the only one in there who wasn't wearing offshore foulies from HH or Musto! I even asked if I was allowed to order a beer without appropriate attire The weather was in the 50s Fahrenheit without wind, which did make me wonder about the offshore attire, considering that inshore clothing would have been sufficient...

I should add that I'm now a member of the prestigious IYAC Yachting club despite my lack of fashion sense. My Caribbean offshore rain jacket cost 5 Euros at Aldi and I don't think that would be appreciated, but my HPX offshore gear would make me seem overdressed. Perhaps I could compromise and get a blazer and a Helmut Schmidt cap (https://sartorialnotes.com/wp-conten...l-of-Style.jpg)
MarkofSeaLife and Minnesail like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #37 of 39 Old 06-14-2019

Thatís the point

What ever floats your boat

Like to hear others experience and choices. Thatís how you learn. When you stop learning they better be throwing dirt in your face.....or they soon will be. Donít like listening to dogma. Everyone makes their own choices and should be respected until they make it obvious they donít deserve it.

I was wrong. Thought most had gotten on the hi tech bandwagon. Poll shows thatís not the case. Just a fifth have done so.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #38 of 39 Old 06-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
....... Thought most had gotten on the hi tech bandwagon. Poll shows thatís not the case. Just a fifth have done so.
If you add the 40+% that use both, the vast majority are onto synthetics. Itís the 25% that are exclusively cotton that is surprising. As you say, to each their own.

Cotton is only stupid if you use all rope road and a danforth anchor, or travel to foreign countries with a gun. 🙂
eherlihy and Minnesail like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #39 of 39 Old 06-15-2019

May reflect the type of sailing you do. If you live in a temperate zone and can go home to a full size washer & dryer cotton may make great sense. Cheaper and feels good on your skin. Have learned synthetics take up less space in storage. Both folded and when bagged. Vacuum bag our cold weather clothes . The fleeces and synthetic down stuff becomes a small dense blob.
Still think what they told me in the Boy Scouts is right.
ďKiller Cotton ď.

Used to ride.
Have dozens of cotton t shirts.
One HD one from each state weíve been in and those from charity rides. Wearing cotton doesnít make you a bad person. Itís fine stuff. Just think thereís better stuff for sailing.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in