No overnight anchoring in Lewis Bay, West Yarmouth - SailNet Community
SailNet FAQ No Posting Please

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-03-2015 Thread Starter

Thumbs down No overnight anchoring in Lewis Bay, West Yarmouth

Last month I made the 55 mile sail from Westport Harbor, MA to Lewis Bay in West Yarmouth fully expecting to be able to anchor in the bay while I was visiting friends who had rented a cottage there. I found a spot just outside the mooring field near Englewood Beach to anchor which was in sight of the cottage we had rented. Perfect, right? Well no, not really. The next morning I get a call from the Yarmouth Harbormaster's office informing me that there is no overnight anchoring in Lewis Bay and that I had to move my boat (and dinghy that was tied to a dinghy dock) ASAP! I questioned the reason why and all I got was that there is a local ordinance against overnight anchoring and that a resident spends a lot of money to get a mooring. He also stated that West Yarmouth was "the town of no fun." He was nice enough but the message was clear to me. In this town of exclusive land, and private beaches they now want to make sure that they can feel even more exclusive by establishing an exclusive harbor.

How a town can put a restriction like that on public access is beyond me. Although you can day anchor in one place in the whole bay behind Egg Island, there is nowhere else unless you have a mooring permit which I assume is given exclusively to residents. Of course there are no transient moorings available either. I can understand the reasons for no anchoring in channels, oyster beds, swimming areas and such but to ban it completely for no apparent reason should be unlawful.

I did contact an advocate at Boat US who was very helpful but could only acknowledge my frustration with these local snobs and their overbearing regulations to keep people out.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-03-2015
bell ringer

Re: No overnight anchoring in Lewis Bay, West Yarmouth

Unlike the never ending discussion on the right to anchor anywhere that revolves around all the Florida threads, most places in the NE are locally controlled far as allowed anchorage outside of charted locations.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-05-2015
Schooner Captain

My reply would be, "emergency repairs, sir." Will move it when the parts arrive from france. Darn Peugeot diesel....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltiNeil View Post
How a town can put a restriction like that on public access is beyond me.
Take a look at what's going on in Florida & you have the answer, frustrating as it is. I just found out last year in NH you cannot anchor overnight on any inland waters without landowner permission. I thought the landowner was just pissed we were there so I looked it up. It's actually a boating law that was passed in 1971.

I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!
post #5 of 15 Old 08-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
My reply would be, "emergency repairs, sir." Will move it when the parts arrive from france. Darn Peugeot diesel....
Chances are all that might get you is an expensive towing bill... :-)

Better get used to this stuff, it's only gonna get worse...
post #6 of 15 Old 08-05-2015
Learning the HARD way...

There are three reviews in ActiveCaptain for Lewis Bay East, which is marked as an anchorage. The latest review, however, was July 17, 2013.

Digging deeper, I found this in the Town of Yarmouth Harbor Regulations (Town of Yarmouth, MA HARBOR REGULATIONS);
Quote:
214-4
Berthing.
All vessels entering Town of Yarmouth waters are subject to the direction of the Harbormaster Department, which should be consulted before anchoring or tying up to any of the Town-owned facilities or moorings.
According to section 33 of the CFR;
Quote:
164.19 Requirements for vessels at anchor.
The master or person in charge of each vessel that is anchored shall ensure that:
(a) A proper anchor watch is maintained;
(b) Procedures are followed to detect a dragging anchor; and
(c) Whenever weather, tide, or current conditions are likely to cause the vessel's anchor to drag, action is taken to ensure the safety of the vessel, structures, and other vessels, such as being ready to veer chain, let go a second anchor, or get underway using the vessel's own propulsion or tug assistance.
[CGD 74-77, 42 FR 5956, Jan. 31, 1977]
In researching this, I came across a story of a transient captain in Scituate being told by the Harbormaster that he must rent a town mooring. The seasoned captain suggested the Harbormaster review his maritime law which apparetly allows for transient anchorage for up to 2 weeks, as long as you are out of the way of other boats. The Harbormaster apologized and let him stay.

I suspect that the Harbormaster was upset because he was not consulted before you dropped the hook, and would have raised a fuss over your not displaying the appropriate dayshape, or maintaining an anchor watch (which requires someone to be on the boat).

Also, In MA, where land owners own to MLLW, you have right of way on private property at low tide, if you are 'actively' engaged in fishing, which is why many people carry a pole when they walk the beach.
deltaten likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

Last edited by eherlihy; 08-05-2015 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Changed ;) to );
post #7 of 15 Old 08-05-2015
Learning the HARD way...

I've been asking for some free legal advice on this, as this question comes up occasionally when teaching sailing... The BEST answer that I have been able to discern is this;
Quote:
Anchoring is generally permissible anywhere, so long as it is not within the confines of a marked channel, or within the defined boundaries of a harbor master's jurisdiction. Anchoring (absent an emergency) may be restricted in the area under the harbor master's jurisdiction by the harbor master.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #8 of 15 Old 08-09-2015

Its happening everywhere, Just like in Florida someone has to break the law(overnight anchor) and get the violation before you can fight it in court. Does anyone want to volunteer?

Mike
SV Bay Tripper
post #9 of 15 Old 08-20-2015

The Northeastern US hasn't been a friend to freedom since colonial times. They retire to Florida . . . .
The Following User Says Thank You to Aquarian For This Useful Post:
Rocky Mountain Breeze (10-19-2015)
post #10 of 15 Old 08-25-2015

you couldn't pay me to go there.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in