North Channel, Lake Huron - SailNet Community
SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-16-2015 Thread Starter

North Channel, Lake Huron

I know we have some NC sailors on this site. My question is about timing. We keep talking about a few weeks in the NC, but stuff keeps getting in the way. We have a possible window from the last week of August to the middle of September next year. We know that is not enough time to do it justice, but it would let us know if we want to do more. I would think that possibly we would move the boat to Mackinaw City and start from there rather than home port in Grand Traverse Bay.

So the big question: Weather at that late date. We have been on Mac Island in late August and mid Sept and have had both mid 30's at night to absolutely beautiful weather. Living in northern Michigan we always wait for the weather change as we know it can happen in the next 10 minutes.

Those of you familiar with the NC, what do you think about those three weeks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-16-2015
Old soul

Re: North Channel, Lake Huron

Weather is usually very nice in September, although the nights will feel a bit chilly, depending on how tolerant you are to cold. It's a great time b/c there are no more bugs, and the anchorages are not very busy. The further you get into Fall the more likely are storm events, so you should plan for a few ugly days in your three weeks, but when I sailed the NC we usually didn't pull our boat until mid-October. And some hardy folk would go even longer than that.

You can check out Environment Canada's website for various places and pull up actual historic data to see what previous years were like. Here's a page for Gore Bay:

Daily Data Report for September 2015

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-16-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks Mike.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-16-2015

We were there the last week of August last year. Weather ranged from way too much wind to none with fog. There were more than enough nice days to enjoy ourselves immensely. We were prepared for crowds, but had the Benjamins almost to ourselves. Bugs were no problem, and we gorged ourselves on blueberries. We can't wait to return, and I would not hesitate to go in that time frame again.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-17-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks Ken, also very positive.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-23-2015

The North Channel has been my home waters for the last 8 seasons and I usually sail into October. September can be very nice and I had my last swim on the 27th on a beautiful hot weekend. Most of the transient boats leave after Labour Day so you have your pick of anchorages. The evenings can be a little cool so you bring an extra blanket and some warmer clothes just in case.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-23-2015

Here's handy link for the channel weather.

Wind, waves & weather forecast North Channel Buoy - Windfinder
post #8 of 8 Old 11-27-2015

The weather will most likely be excellent. We sailed the northshore and the north channel all summer and found the time in August\Sept the best. No mosquitoes\blackflies (although the "tiny" version of horseflies were holding out on some islands, full attack!) and the weather was fairly stable. My last big sail of the season was done the last week of August\first week of Sept to Great Duck Island to visit some ship wrecks. With the way fall went this year I bet I could have left our boat in until first week of November lol.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in