SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   SailNet FAQ (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/)
-   -   Amount of lead in fin keel of 1969 C&C 36 ft sailboat (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/328196-amount-lead-fin-keel-1969-c-c-36-ft-sailboat.html)

DickyBob 01-30-2019 07:02 PM

Amount of lead in fin keel of 1969 C&C 36 ft sailboat
 
Does anyone know how I can find out how much lead (approx) is in the keel of a 36 ft C&C sailboat built in 1969. My sailboat needs to be disposed of and I'm hoping I can recoup some of my expenses by selling the lead. It is has a fin keel and I've been told there is less lead in it than a fixed keel. Is there anywhere online I can go online to get this kind of information?

roverhi 01-30-2019 07:10 PM

Re: Amount of lead in fin keel of 1969 C&C 36 ft sailboat
 
Go to sailboatdata.com and look up your boat. They'll give you weight of the ballast which should be your keel weight.

DickyBob 01-30-2019 09:37 PM

Re: Amount of lead in fin keel of 1969 C&C 36 ft sailboat
 
If sailboatdata.com doesn't list "ballast type," in the specs, how can I be sure it is lead?

boatpoker 01-30-2019 10:02 PM

Re: Amount of lead in fin keel of 1969 C&C 36 ft sailboat
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DickyBob (Post 2051580314)
If sailboatdata.com doesn't list "ballast type," in the specs, how can I be sure it is lead?

It is lead, I've surveyed about 30 of them.
if thats not good enough for you, put a magnet to it.
Lead is not magnetic.

MarkofSeaLife 01-31-2019 02:42 AM

Re: Amount of lead in fin keel of 1969 C&C 36 ft sailboat
 
The scrap metal merchant will tell you *exactly* :grin

Minnewaska 01-31-2019 06:05 AM

Re: Amount of lead in fin keel of 1969 C&C 36 ft sailboat
 
It's unusual that you don't know what your own keel is made of. How long have you owned this boat?

In any event, don't expect top dollar with bottom paint and adhesive stuck to it. There are different prices for clean and dirty scrap.

Physically separating it from the boat, lifting and transporting are going to be very difficult.

sailors 01-31-2019 08:30 AM

Re: Amount of lead in fin keel of 1969 C&C 36 ft sailboat
 
Try the C&C owners group website, most old brochures are there or if not, someone in the group may own one.
C&C Resource Center

JimsCAL 01-31-2019 08:36 AM

Re: Amount of lead in fin keel of 1969 C&C 36 ft sailboat
 
Are you sure about the size and year? No C&C 36 built until mid-70s. Closest to 1969 (year C&C started) is the Redwing 35. In any case, I would guess about 5000 lbs of lead in the keel.

Jeff_H 01-31-2019 08:45 AM

Re: Amount of lead in fin keel of 1969 C&C 36 ft sailboat
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DickyBob (Post 2051580268)
Does anyone know how I can find out how much lead (approx) is in the keel of a 36 ft C&C sailboat built in 1969. My sailboat needs to be disposed of and I'm hoping I can recoup some of my expenses by selling the lead. It is has a fin keel and I've been told there is less lead in it than a fixed keel. Is there anywhere online I can go online to get this kind of information?

C&C (the boat builder) did not build a 36 footer in 1969. C&C the designers had three designs in production that were between 34 and 36 feet: Invader (3,000 lbs lead ballast), Redwing 35/C&C 35-1 (5000 lbs lead ballast), and the Frigate (5200 lbs lead ballast but part of that was in the centerboard).

For the record, a fin keel is fixed keel. If this is a centerboard boat, (i.e. what you may be thinking is the fin keel is able to be moved) then it is likely that there will be a higher ballast weight, but some of that weight will be in the keel and some in the centerboard.

Jeff

SanderO 02-01-2019 09:18 AM

Re: Amount of lead in fin keel of 1969 C&C 36 ft sailboat
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_H (Post 2051580390)
C&C (the boat builder) did not build a 36 footer in 1969. C&C the designers had three designs in production that were between 34 and 36 feet: Invader (3,000 lbs lead ballast), Redwing 35/C&C 35-1 (5000 lbs lead ballast), and the Frigate (5200 lbs lead ballast but part of that was in the centerboard).

For the record, a fin keel is fixed keel. If this is a centerboard boat, (i.e. what you may be thinking is the fin keel is able to be moved) then it is likely that there will be a higher ballast weight, but some of that weight will be in the keel and some in the centerboard.

Jeff

We read online about replacing keel bolts. I wonder how many sailors or actually doing this? And why? Is it a sort of routine thing... bolts need to be replaced after X years?

Are there signs that bolt(s) need to be replaced?

Are there catastrophic failures from bolt failures? How many?

Who has changed their keel bolts and what were the circumstances?



Is the keel bolt replacement thing more common for some manufacturers?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome