buying a 38 foot boat - SailNet Community
SailNet FAQ No Posting Please

1Likes
  • 1 Post By capta

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-02-2019 Thread Starter

buying a 38 foot boat

Hi All;

I am new to the sailing community and My wife and I would like to buy a 2005 or newer boat in the 38 foot range. We like to wide boats such as a Hanse; Dufour or a Beneteau. Is there a better boat in these three or any other suggestions.

We will be sailing on Lake Ontario for a couple of years and then we would like to take the boat to the Caribbean and also Europe.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-02-2019

Re: buying a 38 foot boat

They are good value boats for Ontario to the Caribbean with modest sailing skills but getting one across the Atlantic will require more advanced skills.

For the Keys and Bahamas you need a shoal draft but for Caribbean and beyond you need the deeper keel models.

Buy, learn and enjoy!

Phil

Last edited by Yorksailor; 03-02-2019 at 12:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yorksailor For This Useful Post:
kmac (03-02-2019)
post #3 of 9 Old 03-02-2019

The boats you mention are decent coastal cruisers. Fine for the Great Lakes and hops to the islands in good weather windows. However for crossing the Atlantic, there are better choices.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
The Following User Says Thank You to JimsCAL For This Useful Post:
kmac (03-02-2019)

post #4 of 9 Old 03-02-2019

A lot of boats sold as coastal cruisers or racers can be upgraded for offshore. Few boats are sold as and equipped as ready to sail offshore.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
The Following User Says Thank You to SanderO For This Useful Post:
kmac (03-02-2019)
post #5 of 9 Old 03-02-2019
Master Mariner

When people ask about the boat they should buy, my suggestion is first to look at the livability of the boat. It is going to be your home, at sea sometimes, but mostly anchored or docked.
There are dozens of boats some consider seaworthy and others don't but none of them will be living aboard the boat you choose.
Following this theory, first, find a few well-reputed boats that you find are comfortable homes, then deal with those that you or whomever you are taking advice from suggest are suitable for your intended voyages.
If you aren't experienced sailors, then beg, borrow or charter a number of boats and spend some time on them to see if they would make a comfortable home.
A week or so back, the discussion as to which boats are comfortable in a rolly anchorage came up and there were many interesting posts. Then there are the boats that sail wildly at anchor, snapping around when they come tight on their anchor rode.
Many of the most respected ocean cruising boats are not very comfortable liveaboards.
JoCoSailor likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
stevschubert (04-25-2019)
post #6 of 9 Old 03-02-2019 Thread Starter

Hi Jim;

Thanks for your reply can you suggest some other models we should be looking at?

B/R

Kevin
post #7 of 9 Old 03-02-2019

Capta makes a good point about comfort/livability. I would add a livable cockpit is very important... one or even a few people can stretch out. The cockpit is also your patio/outside living room and aside from sailing you'll spend lots of time in... even entertaining friends. Cockpit comfort and functionality is very important. I don't see many boats under 40' with large comfy cockpits that are also good sailing ones.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #8 of 9 Old 03-02-2019

I would give the nod to the Hanse overall everything being equal but condition is everything. I also think that a Tartan 3700 would be a step up from any of the three mentioned in that size range. Several of the Sparkman & Stephens designed Tartan 37's have circumnavigated so while not designed as offshore boats they are certainly capable of offshore passages. There was a period in which Tartan was having quality control issues and I'm not sure which year models were involved so you would have to take that into consideration when you were looking.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-03-2019

There are half a dozen brokers at the Grand Marina in Alameda, every 2 weeks they have "Open Boat" weekend where the brokerage docks are open, it's a good way to get a close look at different boats without any commitment.

"Just call me TB"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in