SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   SailNet FAQ (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/)
-   -   How to find a rudder design? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/329416-how-find-rudder-design.html)

Tall ship surprise 04-27-2019 12:25 AM

How to find a rudder design?

Hello all. I'm purchasing a 100 foot schooner next week and I have a few items im lacking experience in. The ship is wooden and it's missing the prop shaft, prop and rudder. The motor is a 6-71 Detroit I'm not sure of the transmission. How do I go about fixing theses things near Portland without paying a fortune to get the boat on dry dock?

Tall ship surprise 04-27-2019 12:26 AM

I'm very experienced in custom wood working so I can build the rudder out of mohogany I just need a design

chicory83 04-27-2019 01:32 AM

Re: How to find a rudder design?

Portland Oregon or Portland Maine?

If the latter, there is an extensive fleet of windjammers that sail out of many of the towns along the midcoast. (Camden, Rockport, Rockland etc.) I would consider getting in touch with some of them for advice. https://sailmainecoast.com/pick-a-sh...djammer-fleet/

The Wooden Boat School in Brooklin Maine is another good resource. https://www.thewoodenboatschool.com/

Finally French and Webb in Belfast does some amazing work on vintage wooden boats and may be able to help you out. They have done some beautiful restoration work on some old Hereshoff boats that are simply to die for. Welcome to French & Webb Custom Boat Builders - New Construction, Deck Furniture and Components, and Precision Joinery.

Tall ship surprise 04-27-2019 03:24 AM

It would Portland Oregon. I'm hoping to get the big lady ready to sail down the west coast and set up down in Chula Vista CA this winter as a Air Bnb.
If I were more experience, I wish I could go around the world, and end up in maine. maybe catch lobster off the boat

Arcb 04-27-2019 10:12 AM

For a boat that size I would most definitely contract a naval architect to design the rudder. There is a lot going on with balance, strength etc.

chicory83 04-27-2019 10:24 AM

Good luck to you, and keep us posted on your project. If you have pictures or a listing I would be interested to see them. These boats often have a lot of history, do you know the story behind the one you are buying? When where and by whom she was built?
Given your level of experience with these boats have you considered signing on to crew on a vessel like the ones from the Maine Windjammer's Association?

Arcb 04-27-2019 03:00 PM

I took a few minutes to browse schooners in Portland, because I am curious like that.

I happened across a 100 ft ferrocement schooner with a wood interior that is missing mast, sails and has a non functioning motor. I hope this isn't the boat you hope to take to California.

In any case. A boat this size would normally undergo dry docking for all items you listed above before embarking on any kind of sea voyage.

overbored 04-27-2019 03:26 PM

you know how to spoil my dream. I still hope that he is buying a true old Sailing yacht all made of wood that is going to stand proud and grace the skyline of San Diego harbor and not a concrete bath tube to add to the mud flats of Chula Vista

boatpoker 04-27-2019 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcb (Post 2051598686)
I took a few minutes to browse schooners in Portland, because I am curious like that.

I happened across a 100 ft ferrocement schooner with a wood interior that is missing mast, sails and has a non functioning motor. I hope this isn't the boat you hope to take to California.

In any case. A boat this size would normally undergo dry docking for all items you listed above before embarking on any kind of sea voyage.

Two masts, engine, propeller and a rudder on a 100' ferro. $100k is just the beginning. ..... :popcorn

capttb 04-27-2019 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tall ship surprise (Post 2051598602)
It would Portland Oregon. I'm hoping to get the big lady ready to sail down the west coast and set up down in Chula Vista CA this winter as a Air Bnb.
If I were more experience, I wish I could go around the world, and end up in maine. maybe catch lobster off the boat

We got lobster, Pacific Spiney Lobsters, I like them better than Maine lobsters, you could hoop net for them off your air BNB.