SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Convert "wifi only" iPad to backup chartplotter? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/134025-convert-wifi-only-ipad-backup-chartplotter.html)

mrmac 04-13-2014 09:23 PM

Convert "wifi only" iPad to backup chartplotter?

I know the information is on our site, but I just can't seem to put it all together.

We are going from Chesapeake Bay to Bermuda and would like to use an iPad as a backup chart plotter. Here is my thinking:

I will download the appropriate/available NOAA raster charts.

With "wifi only" ipad 3, I know that I will need an exterior GPS with Bluetooth and an app to manage the charts.

What combination of GPS and app have you used successfully for an iPad 3 with "wifi only?"

Thanks for any help.

Faster 04-13-2014 09:36 PM

Re: Convert "wifi only" iPad to backup chartplotter?

smackdaddy 04-13-2014 11:20 PM

78 Attachment(s)
Though I have the iPad 2 with GPS - the wireless setup I just finished on our boat will work fine with a non-GPS iPad 3. It's pretty awesome.

The Mr. Universe of Nav Systems

TomMaine 04-14-2014 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmac (Post 1732265)
I know the information is on our site, but I just can't seem to put it all together.

We are going from Chesapeake Bay to Bermuda and would like to use an iPad as a backup chart plotter. Here is my thinking:

I will download the appropriate/available NOAA raster charts.

With "wifi only" ipad 3, I know that I will need an exterior GPS with Bluetooth and an app to manage the charts.

What combination of GPS and app have you used successfully for an iPad 3 with "wifi only?"

Thanks for any help.

I used an Ipad 2 wifi only, last season as a backup CP. I love it! I used the Garmin Glo external antenna. That stayed in the chart drawer below the glass decks and gave a perfect signal anywhere onboard.

I added another 12DC plug nearby, will pick up a dual USB charger, and that takes care of charging issues. These take very little juice, I find.

I used Garmin Bluecharts nav. app(30.00 East Coast Caribbean) and like that as well. The Active Captain addition, my first real use, was very handy.

The only problem I had was the ipad freezing a couple times. I still don't know exactly why, but I think it may have something to do with the tracking or something. EAsy enough to reset(it's a back up to the onboard CP) until I figure it out.

I've added an iphone 5c to my CP's(it's always on me), so I'm pretty much paperless in the chart drawer. I may install a different nav. app in the phone.

zeehag 04-16-2014 03:01 PM

28 Attachment(s)
do your nav programs require wifi to use em or just to download charts...and where do these wifi only systems get free no password wifi to use out in middle of an ocean... do you also have a sat fone or iridium or magical signal creator of some kind???

smackdaddy 04-16-2014 04:01 PM

78 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeehag (Post 1743761)
do your nav programs require wifi to use em or just to download charts...and where do these wifi only systems get free no password wifi to use out in middle of an ocean... do you also have a sat fone or iridium or magical signal creator of some kind???

Zee, you download the charts onto your device in-port while you have wifi. Then you don't need any internet connection at sea. The charts are already loaded and the GPS signal is available without the need for wifi.

It's basically like having the chip for a standard chartplotter. Just better.

DonScribner 04-20-2014 07:29 PM

Mack,

as a back up I would assume that you don't need all the bells and whistles. Well, maybe one bell and a whistle or two. Consider the cost of all the added gadgetry, then consider an Android tablet and the free NOAA app or the Navionics app ($55). The tablet has the GPS built in. The apps are no/few frills but as a back up should do the trick. Either way, the Ipad or Andoid, tablets are hard to see in sunlight. Whatever you do, I wish you fair winds and a following sea.

Don

night0wl 04-20-2014 07:42 PM

I put my nmea instruments on a wifi stream using OpenCPN. Then I used my various ipad apps that can get nmea over TCP to become an auxilarly plotter.

JoeLena 04-20-2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomMaine (Post 1735225)
I used an Ipad 2 wifi only, last season as a backup CP. I love it! I used the Garmin Glo external antenna. That stayed in the chart drawer below the glass decks and gave a perfect signal anywhere onboard.

I've added an iphone 5c to my CP's(it's always on me), so I'm pretty much paperless in the chart drawer. I may install a different nav. app in the phone.

I have the same setup. Works quite well. The Garmin is a quality unit and reception is fine with the unit below on the table.

fryewe 04-21-2014 12:26 AM

WiFi iPad with bluetooth GPS and Seaiq (OpenCPN for iPad and iPhone). Amazing.