SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

FL to RI in the Spring

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Minnewaska 
#1 ·
Are you planning to do the ditch, or off shore?

#5 · (Edited)
Re: Fl to RI in the Spring

Can't get up the Ditch with 8 ft.

I agree with Minne...Florida to Charleston or Beaufort is a straight shot with the gulf Stream to help and needs a 3-4 day weather window. You have bailouts like Jacksonville en-route. I would not attempt Augustine in bad weather or at night.

Once in Beaufort you can wait for another 2-3 day weather window and go around Hatteras to the Chesapeake close to the red markers on the 60 ft line within sight of land

We have done the trip both north and south but we were not on a schedule and we were able to wait for good weather. We did not dawdle and motored on one occasion.

When the wind is strong from the east all the east coast entries can be very difficult/dangerous especially on the ebb tide. The breakwater at Charleston goes out a long way, do not cut corners.

Phil

#7 ·
Re: Fl to RI in the Spring

I need to deliver my Beneteau First 40 from West Palm, FL to Newport, RI this spring. I am an experienced sailor but, never attempted a passage this long before. I will probably hire a couple of hands/captain to join me. Any suggestions on the best timing, course and things to watch out for would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
I make this trip regularly. From WPB pick your time to get into the Gulf Stream and head North. Make sure you have a way to get weather info on the boat - an inexpensive shortwave radio and a laptop will do fine. If the weather deterioriates head OUT. You'll have lots of bailouts on the way up, but if you don't need them you should be able to do WPB to Newport in 6 or 7 days.

Crew is important. Let me know if you need help with crew - I have a long list.

#8 · (Edited)
The original thread was deleted due to the OP having two user names. This thread had good information, however, so I'm copying the original question and bringing back the replies. Unfortunately the system adds them chronologically so I hope this isn't too confusing. - Donna

Fellow Sailors, I need to deliver my Beneteau First 40 from West Palm, FL to Newport, RI this spring. I am an experienced sailor but, never attempted a passage this long before. I will probably hire a couple of hands/captain to join me. Any suggestions on the best timing, course and things to watch out for would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: Bene505
#10 ·
I was REALLY confused when I visited SailNet and saw that I started a new thread! ... I thought that alzheimer's was kicking in...

Thanks for the explanation Donna.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.