Clearing lobster pot tangle - Page 3 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 Old 06-16-2015 Thread Starter

Re: Clearing lobster pot tangle

How do you find a diver while stranded somewhere. Or are you figuring on just getting a tow to your slip and calling for someone their.

I'm not sure who to call for diver service.I suspect the towboat guy knows who to call.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 Old 06-16-2015
HANUMAN

The hook knife will work from the dinghy as well. Having a mask and snorkle may help you see what you are doing from the dink.

Practice reaching the prop/shaft with the boat hook before you have to attach the hook knife and do it for real.

If you need a diver I'm sure Sea Tow will know how to find one, or since you will be in local waters doing classes on a regular basis, maybe you should google a couple now and find out from them how much it's gonna cost to get them to come to you.

If you have Sea Tow and you can cut the line from the pot they will come tow you home...or you could sail home or to an anchorage as long as there is a breeze.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
The Following User Says Thank You to RobGallagher For This Useful Post:
davidpm (06-17-2015)
post #23 of 33 Old 06-17-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
The hook knife will work from the dinghy as well. Having a mask and snorkle may help you see what you are doing from the dink.

Practice reaching the prop/shaft with the boat hook before you have to attach the hook knife and do it for real.
I'll try that at the dock, someone on the finger may be able to see what I'm doing.

We don't carry a dingy.

I wonder if with a life jacket on laying face down in the water with goggle is I could see the prop.

post #24 of 33 Old 06-17-2015 Thread Starter

I can see it now.

A class of 101 beginning students. We wrap the prop under power.

I hook the pot but the line is till wrapped. I sail back to the town dock. Walk back to our dock. Fire up the Ericson 32 and come out to the town dock and hip tow the Oday back.

The whole process including walking and opening the bridge twice would probably take about four hours. I still don't know how I would get the the oday in its slip without power as we have a neighbor.

I wonder if they would come back for 103.

post #25 of 33 Old 06-17-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Trailing a tag line is one thing, but attaching a tether to someone free-diving beneath the boat is another... I don't like the idea at all, too great a chance of getting snagged on the running gear, or whatever...

...Unless you're a diver with full gear aboard, better stay within cell phone range of Sea Tow...

:-)
Tag line. The purpose is to give the swimmer and easy way back to the boat if the current is strong. Any boat should have something like this in the MOB kit on the rail anyway. Obviously. A "safety line" tied to me? That's plain nuts. The only way I'm going to get stck down there is if the safety line snags. If I snagged some other way--doubtful--the safety line won't help.

Cell range. Yeah I see the :-). But honestly, any plan that requires outside help is not valid for anyone even tiny cruising ambitions. If you can't handle a snagged line, stick with day sailing. Heck, just where I sail, there is no diver or tow boat between Ocean City and Norfolk. If you have a problem, figure something out. Isn't that cruising?

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #26 of 33 Old 06-17-2015

+1 on the hook knife. Take the blade protector with you and get in the dinghy. It's easier from the dinghy especially if someone can use another boat hook from the mother ship and push you off a bit. It's hard if not impossible to get at the,line or net from the mothership. It's hard to saw or cut when you are in the water and you really want to stay away from the hook knife. Safer from the dinghy. Tie the dinghy painter as far forward on the boat as you can. Easier to keep the right distance from the boat to get a good angle.
Be kind. If you can use a piece to line to tie the pickup back to the trap once you're free. These are expensive and someone's source of livelihood.
capecodda likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #27 of 33 Old 06-17-2015

Another thing. Some times while you are in the dinghy you can take an anchor with you and drop it such as upon its tensioning you take part or all the stress off the tangled line and your running gear. Then much easier to untangle things. Can use the fortress, danforth or other light anchor to do this more easily.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #28 of 33 Old 06-17-2015
Closet Powerboater

I once sucked a 12 ft long rug into my prop aperture at 2200rpm. A half hour with scuba gear later I found it was wrapped 16 times around the shaft.

Moral of the story? Not sure. Depending on how you read it it's either that you can't plan for all contingencies or its that you need scuba gear aboard to troubleshoot the under-half of your craft.

Medsailor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
post #29 of 33 Old 06-17-2015
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
I once sucked a 12 ft long rug into my prop aperture at 2200rpm. A half hour with scuba gear later I found it was wrapped 16 times around the shaft.

Moral of the story? Not sure. Depending on how you read it it's either that you can't plan for all contingencies or its that you need scuba gear aboard to troubleshoot the under-half of your craft.

Medsailor

PS. A line cutter, unless fabricared by Brent Swain out of lawn mower blades, wouldn't have helped.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
post #30 of 33 Old 06-17-2015 Thread Starter

Sounds like for serious cruising a hooka would be a pretty useful piece of kit. No tanks, fun for the whole family and useful for keeping the bottom clean and emergency wraps.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in