Clearing lobster pot tangle - Page 4 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 33 Old 06-18-2015

Re: Clearing lobster pot tangle

The rule I always heard was that if the crew failed to call out the pot and you got hung up on it, it was their responsibility to clear it. If the crew called out the pot and the helmsperson caught it anyway, it was his responsibility to clear it.

I'm not sure how helpful this is to the conversation, other than to give your students this warning...
davidpm likes this.

US Sailing Certified Basic Keelboat Instructor
2004 Hobie Getaway
1999 Topaz Uno + Race
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 06-18-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I just bought a shorty wet-suit. ...
Should I wear gloves and socks, will that help.
What thickness are we talking about? In Vancouver we freedove with 3 or 5mm full-length wetsuits in water ranging from 7C - 14C, depending on the season, thought that was full coverage. We would wear a weight belt with whatever weight makes you neutrally buoyant at 10m depth. Without the weight belt, trying to stay underwater is pretty comical and the extra effort will produce CO2 a lot faster. High CO2, not low O2, is what makes you decide to end your dive.

If you want to be tethered but are worried about your tether tangling in something, I suggest the following: hang a line over the quarter, weighted with something heavy, like a stern anchor, and tether to that like you would to a jackline, with a carabiner. You can then keep your tether's length down to only what is necessary to access the prop, i.e., under half the width of the boat at that point, but you'll still be free to move. If you tie the lanyard to your ankle, you can keep it really short. Google "freediving lanyard" for photos, construction info, etc.
davidpm likes this.

s/v Laelia - 1978 Pearson 365 ketch
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdamLein For This Useful Post:
davidpm (06-18-2015), MedSailor (06-18-2015)
post #33 of 33 Old 07-15-2015

During a race a couple of years ago, a friend's boat snagged a crabtrap and it became seriously wrapped around the prop. We were about an hour from town, but he said he would call the guy that cleaned the bottom of his boat, and hitched a ride into the dock on a dinghy. A couple of hours later, about 10pm, the guy shows up, puts on scuba gear and untangles his prop. I think nearly every boat in the race ended up hiring the guy to clean the bottom of their boat regularly... That was some good advertising.
davidpm likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------
1984 Starwind 22
"Julianne"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in