Clearing lobster pot tangle - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 06-15-2015 Thread Starter

Clearing lobster pot tangle

Sunday during a training sail a student got too close to a lobster pot and the pot buoy disappeared and the boat stopped.

We were under sail but not moving.

I dropped the sails the idea being that we might float off.
One of the students was as rescue diver and I had some swim goggles so he volunteered to clear the line.

As the student was changing into a swim suit and getting ready maybe 5 minutes later the buoy popped up and we were free.

Is this a common occurrence or was I just really lucky.

I was concerned about the current, about 1.5 knots, I didn't want to loose my student.
I really didn't want to put him in the water but didn't see a better option.

I'm thinking I should ask the school to supply a Life Sling so we would have a light floating line available as a tether. All we had was dock lines and anchor lines.

What would you recommend as the best procedure for this possibility.

I don't think we can rule out lobster pot snags as much as we try to avoid them. I saw a couple pot buoys a little under water almost impossible to see.

I am personally not a strong swimmer, I'm not afraid of the water, I have my scuba cert but only test out the equipment once a year to make sure I remember how to use it.

I have a scuba hat and vest. I wonder if that would give me enough buoyancy to be more confident in the water. It might be hard to get deep enough to do anything useful though.

Maybe there is some way I could pull myself down. Just wondering how I could get the job done if I had to.

I wonder what seatow or boatus would do for you if anything.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-15-2015

Re: Clearing lobster pot tangle

David, Do you have an Outboard or inboard engine on this training boat?
post #3 of 33 Old 06-15-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
David, Do you have an Outboard or inboard engine on this training boat?
Inboard on a 35' O'day.

post #4 of 33 Old 06-15-2015
Learning the HARD way...

You sailed over the buoy? If so, you probably caught on an underwater appendage.

My guess is that it was probably the prop that snagged. You could test this by turning the shaft BY HAND, and seeing if you can free it.

Could have been the rudder too...

If it helps, this is what an O'day 35 with the deep keel looks like under water.
capecodda likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 33 Old 06-15-2015

Not affiliated in any way, but this has gotten me out of a jam or 2.

LED lighting, soundproof, Sailor's Solutions Inc.

Sailing Maine, this is a "fairly" common occurrence. You get very good at avoidance after a bit of practice, but it still can happen when the pot density is less than a beam width on your boat. If you just catch the keel or rudder, you might get off easily. If you are under power and wrap up the prop, the poly line's can get hot enough to melt and make a real birds nest. Even a free wheeling prop might get a few wraps. I've been able to pick away even at a birds nest with one of these devices, at least well enough to limp out to a place with less current, less wave action, to take care of it fully....or even hire a diver if I don't feel like donning the wet suit...water's cold up there.

Since I think you are sailing other people's boat's David, you cannot probably install line cutters, which often do the trick at least as far as prop wraps. Eherlily's suggest is also a great one. If it's just a few wraps, with the transmission in neutral you might be able to unwind it by slowly turning the shaft backwards by hand from inside the boat. I've had this work at least once.
The Following User Says Thank You to capecodda For This Useful Post:
davidpm (06-16-2015)
post #6 of 33 Old 06-15-2015
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Sunday during a training sail a student got too close to a lobster pot and the pot buoy disappeared and the boat stopped.

We were under sail but not moving.

I dropped the sails the idea being that we might float off.
One of the students was as rescue diver and I had some swim goggles so he volunteered to clear the line.

As the student was changing into a swim suit and getting ready maybe 5 minutes later the buoy popped up and we were free.

Is this a common occurrence or was I just really lucky.

I was concerned about the current, about 1.5 knots, I didn't want to loose my student.
I really didn't want to put him in the water but didn't see a better option.

I'm thinking I should ask the school to supply a Life Sling so we would have a light floating line available as a tether. All we had was dock lines and anchor lines.

What would you recommend as the best procedure for this possibility.

I don't think we can rule out lobster pot snags as much as we try to avoid them. I saw a couple pot buoys a little under water almost impossible to see.

I am personally not a strong swimmer, I'm not afraid of the water, I have my scuba cert but only test out the equipment once a year to make sure I remember how to use it.

I have a scuba hat and vest. I wonder if that would give me enough buoyancy to be more confident in the water. It might be hard to get deep enough to do anything useful though.

Maybe there is some way I could pull myself down. Just wondering how I could get the job done if I had to.

I wonder what seatow or boatus would do for you if anything.
Towing companies would love to send out a diver. That's good income for them that probably won't be covered by your plan.

If the prop is wrapped in line they will tow you in and it will be covered. Hell, they might even drag you and the pot back to the marina

This is a handy tool to have around. It fits on the end of a scrub brush/boat hook handle. You could keep it in your sailing gear bag. Also, the boat hook can be used to find the line and figure out if it's on the prop or rudder. I even had one hang up on the keel for a bit until it popped up.

LED lighting, soundproof, Sailor's Solutions Inc.

I'm wondering how your school does not have a throwable PFD on board? It is a requirement that they be within reach from the cockpit. They are not required to be rigged with line but it is sometimes safer and easier for a conscious person pull or get pulled to the boat those last few feet rather than try to motor/sail directly up to them...that can get ugly.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #7 of 33 Old 06-15-2015
Glad I found Sailnet

I once had to use a serated knife and a diving mask. On each dive I managed to get a bit of it cut away. Didn't have to use a tank.

If it happens while in gear, you could put it in reverse for a second to help loosen it up.

A fender on a long line could help if there is a current. Too strong a current and you wait for help, or even lift the lobster pot and sail home.

Anyways, that's what I'd be thinking.

Regards,
Brad

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing (and a little bit of politics). I don't know why. It's a mystery!
post #8 of 33 Old 06-16-2015 Thread Starter

That hook on a pole and a mask and a life jacket might work.

I could lay down with my face in the water maybe be able to see what is the problem and keep one hand on the transom or a least hold on to a line and one hand for the pole.

Might not have to even go under water.

post #9 of 33 Old 06-16-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post

I'm wondering how your school does not have a throwable PFD on board? It is a requirement that they be within reach from the cockpit. They are not required to be rigged with line but it is sometimes safer and easier for a conscious person pull or get pulled to the boat those last few feet rather than try to motor/sail directly up to them...that can get ugly.
Yes we have a couple of the square seat cushion type throwables. I was wondering what kind of line I could use as a safety line. If my swimmer couldn't swim faster than the current I would be in big trouble not having a way to get to him.

I was thinking of tying a couple dock lines together and stream them out behind the boat but they sink. So I'm not sure what the right action would be for a safety line.

What I like about the Life Sling is that the line floats and is long,

post #10 of 33 Old 06-16-2015

Not to be snarky...

Learn to swim well? A 1.5 knot current is not concern with a trail line and common sense. And flotation is NOT going to work. In saltwater we are too buoyant to start.

We talk about first aid and MOB pick-up, so clearly skills are important to safety. We discuss all of the sinking possibilities. I well understand that swimming is not a solution to most problems, it is still awfully darn handy to be a strong free diver and swimmer. When this skill allows for rapid repair or clearing of a snag, it is a safety matter. Calling for a diver of tow is, well, really lame. It isn't always going to be practical.

If the water is cold there should ALWAYS be a wet suit or dry suit, an snorkel gear. I believe these are nearly as important as PFDs. And the notion of going out in a small boat without solid swimming skills is funny to me. It's not that I wouldn't or couldn't sail without swimming skills. But how can we ignor the value as a basic skill? Why would we want to?

I know that one of the first questions I ask guests is whether they are strong swimmers, not whether they can swim. As skipper, it is something I need to know. I once had a guess nearly drown at a swim stop; he claimed he could swim, but apparently the lack of bottom was a surprise. Fortunately my daughter noticed the signs (it was silent and others thought he was playing) and cut a beeline over to him.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in