Rights during USCG Inspection. - Page 3 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

153Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 208 Old 07-22-2015

Re: Rights during USCG Inspection.

VESSEL BOARDINGS AND COAST GUARD ... a topical explanation, which pretty much highlights that the USCG operate via an exclusionary waiver of the protections of the 4th amendment via 14 USC 89.

For LEOs, the 4th amendment restraints and protections would apply - IMO. But, one must consider that the intrinsic underlying function of a LEO is primarily 'revenue'.
Since there is no set legal requirement for personal identification to operate a vessel, the demand for written official dentification, etc. would be invalid and illegal; similar to incidents wherein a person is not operating a defined motor vehicle which requires written officially issued ID (valid license to operate and Insurance info). The requirement in many states to have 'a boater safety course' and/or a boat registration ID would probably override the exclusions of the 4th amendment such as being required to show a valid ID, as powered boats are considered in the same category as motor vehicles - IMO.

The interesting issue is the laws of the state of Florida - "for marine potty inspections", wherein any LEO there can stop, detain and search at whim for MSD compliance at any place and any time and without probable cause, in accordance to Florida Law.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 208 Old 07-22-2015

Patriot Act supersedes all of it! And if not at your fixed residence you are required to show papers of ID. Life has changed wake -up and see the light!.....Dale

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
post #23 of 208 Old 07-22-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
Patriot Act supersedes all of it! And if not at your fixed residence you are required to show papers of ID. Life has changed wake -up and see the light!.....Dale
citation?

post #24 of 208 Old 07-22-2015
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

it was splainedloosey to me when i first moved aboard in 1990 that as a living on a boat soul, we have waived our right to unlawful search and seizure, as we do not qualify as landholders. we are not covered under rights to bear arms. we are not covered by right to privacy--we aint got none-- and ....

so do not quote rights under constitutional law as we are not so covered, as we are not landholders nor land dwellers.
maritime law is different than land law.
we DO have right to be boarded at any time, we have the right not to cause projectiles to be launched from our boats, as that is an act of war, we have the right to have our private lives placed into public eye, and dismissed as a proper lifestyle.
it was also splained to me that if i didnt like it this way i could relocate back to land dwelling.
as i dont give a rats ass about the alleged rights we donot have, as we have waived them, the conversion from constitutional republic to fascist wtf that usa is undergoing should not be as difficult to me as it is to you all with the alleged RIGHTS you claim to have but actually do not have.
read the instruction manual more closely.
when boarded you have the RIGHT to not ask questions, the RIGHT to sit and have your boat sniffedby dogs and torn up by humans as the officials see fit, and removed from your possession as they , the officials, see fit.
enjoy your new lifestyle.
adjust or leave.
i chose to not give just cause for any kind of mayhem by officials, yet i was boarded and sniffed in my mooring locale in san diego on a random inspection.
yes i had a sticker from my local aux personnel, as we need vsc done every year, and no, no strange odors emit from my boat ever. i have a cat, but they had me hold him until they were done invading my lack of privacy. bubba was pisssssed...

it is only as a courtesy that mooring and anchored locals are not regularly boarded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #25 of 208 Old 07-22-2015

"The Previous Owner found the process very funny; he was cited for not having a Discharge Placard in the closet behind the Head, where the Sea Water Flush Valve was located."

I doubt that very much, as there is no such requirement.

You are required to have two things :

1) An Oil Discharge placard in the machinery space (or by the bilge pump switch)

2) The general discharge (trash etc) placard in a prominent place.

There is no requirement to have a placard in the closet by the head.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #26 of 208 Old 07-22-2015

Quote:
It seems to me that you must heave to to allow boarding.
Actually no, I was motoring into the harbor last time I was "boarded" and once I gave them my ID they just had me continue on my way while I held up various pieces of gear. They did not cite me for my expired flares, they did not board my boat, they did not leave their boat, they did not point any weapons at me. This was 60 nm north of the Mexican Border in the Smugglers Corridor of the Pacific.

"Just call me TB"
post #27 of 208 Old 07-22-2015
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinie View Post
citation?
Hey, we don't clutter up a good rant with "facts" around here, buddy.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #28 of 208 Old 07-22-2015
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
it was splainedloosey to me when i first moved aboard in 1990 that as a living on a boat soul, we have waived our right to unlawful search and seizure, as we do not qualify as landholders. we are not covered under rights to bear arms. we are not covered by right to privacy--we aint got none-- and ....

so do not quote rights under constitutional law as we are not so covered, as we are not landholders nor land dwellers.
maritime law is different than land law.
we DO have right to be boarded at any time, we have the right not to cause projectiles to be launched from our boats, as that is an act of war, we have the right to have our private lives placed into public eye, and dismissed as a proper lifestyle.
it was also splained to me that if i didnt like it this way i could relocate back to land dwelling.
as i dont give a rats ass about the alleged rights we donot have, as we have waived them, the conversion from constitutional republic to fascist wtf that usa is undergoing should not be as difficult to me as it is to you all with the alleged RIGHTS you claim to have but actually do not have.
read the instruction manual more closely.
when boarded you have the RIGHT to not ask questions, the RIGHT to sit and have your boat sniffedby dogs and torn up by humans as the officials see fit, and removed from your possession as they , the officials, see fit.
enjoy your new lifestyle.
adjust or leave.
i chose to not give just cause for any kind of mayhem by officials, yet i was boarded and sniffed in my mooring locale in san diego on a random inspection.
yes i had a sticker from my local aux personnel, as we need vsc done every year, and no, no strange odors emit from my boat ever. i have a cat, but they had me hold him until they were done invading my lack of privacy. bubba was pisssssed...

it is only as a courtesy that mooring and anchored locals are not regularly boarded.
LOL...can I sniff you? (just kidding)

All of that is pretty much true, but as I said, the world is still large, and there are still many places to go, where the law won't bother to reach you.

They *can*, but they rarely bother.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #29 of 208 Old 07-22-2015
bell ringer

If they ASK to board you have the right to say no. That doesn't mean they can not board you.

Other than that you have as many rights as you want to have as long as you are willing to live with the results.
misfits likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #30 of 208 Old 07-22-2015
Call me Ishmael

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
If I must follow all orders, then I have no rights.
Interesting point. Not sure I agree. You may well have rights that are not recognized. What is the impact of the violation and your recourse? That might be a more useful / productive construct.

Come not here if you have already spent the best of yourself

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in