Broad reach close reach COB procedure - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 43 Old 08-04-2015
Learning the HARD way...

Re: Broad reach close reach COB procedure

... and you may want to see this report from John Rousmaniere; http://www.ussailing.org/wp-content/..._Symposium.pdf
smurphny and dhays like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
davidpm (08-04-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 Old 08-04-2015

That's a great report, Eherlihy. I think I've read that before but it's been awhile.

David, it almost sounds like you were performing a version of the "Fast Return" as outlined in the report.
post #13 of 43 Old 08-04-2015

I am also a proponent, but the final approach is actually from slightly upwind with the boat hove to. Speed is controlled by trimming or easing the main and direction with the helm if needed. The idea is to end up hove to with the COB to leeward. The nice thing about this is that you can approach slowly in strong winds and also, since you are hove to you actually stay with the COB and you don't have sails luffing all over the place when you try to retrieve him or her.

I used this technique in a 104 class in 20+ knots of wind and it worked beautifully. We couldn't get any of the normal downwind approaches to work at all. Even if we stopped the boat by the COB, it would quickly have the bow pushed aside and we would fall off and leave before being able to retrieve the fender we were using.

I'm also a fan, if you notice the COB in time, of heading up and tacking twice without changing jib sheets. On most larger boats, this will bring it to a full stop just back of where you initiated the maneuver and hove to. If you have a conscious COB, you are usually close enough for the to swim a few yards back to the boat.

post #14 of 43 Old 08-04-2015

I prefer these two methods for upwind and downwind MOB's

Advantages
a) It can be done easily by one person.
b) There is usually no need to adjust sails.
c) The sails are always under control. There are no flying clews or sheets.
d) The MOB is always on the same side of the vessel and kept in sight.
e) If unsuccessful, just come around again.
f) The MOB can be reached on most vessels by lying on the deck and grabbing them. I retrieved a TV antenna off Cape Scott in this manner.)
g) Works exceptionally well with a life-sling.

I have just completed the second image, and am looking to improve it. Any suggestions.

ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
post #15 of 43 Old 08-04-2015 Thread Starter

Have not seen any of those two methods in print before.

Have you?

They certainly look promising.

Would have to test it out.

If you numbered each position in order it would be more obvious but I think I got it anyway.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
post #16 of 43 Old 08-04-2015

David, these are the methods we use in International Sail and Power Association courses.

I like the numbering idea, shall do.

Jack

ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
post #17 of 43 Old 08-04-2015
Learning the HARD way...

Jack,

I just sent you an email with some slides that I created using your template... Feel free to share if you wish.
(or not.) - I had been working on revising these earlier today.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 08-04-2015 at 06:11 PM.
post #18 of 43 Old 08-04-2015

If I went overboard, and someone tried any of the aforementioned procedures without first trying to start the engine and motoring back to me, I would politely cave their faces in should I be lucky enough to get back aboard.

The adherence to procedure, for whatever reason, should not trump saving a life.

Sorry to sound harsh, but there is no way in hell you can expect crew to follow procedure while watching someone die.
eherlihy likes this.
post #19 of 43 Old 08-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefingers View Post
If I went overboard, and someone tried any of the aforementioned procedures without first trying to start the engine and motoring back to me, I would politely cave their faces in should I be lucky enough to get back aboard.

The adherence to procedure, for whatever reason, should not trump saving a life.

Sorry to sound harsh, but there is no way in hell you can expect crew to follow procedure while watching someone die.
Starting the engine was discussed in John Rousmanier's Symposium article. I think we are all aware of that option. No face bashing necessary. Most of the sailing programs require that you know how to return to a MOB under sail. It's up to the helmsman or captain to quickly determine the best option for recovery given the circumstances including starting the engine, and train for the possibilty. Not all sailboats have engines. Some have outboards that are tilted up and out of the water. Most of the sailing MOB maneuvers in Rousmaniers exercise were accomplished in 2 minutes or less.
MITBeta likes this.
post #20 of 43 Old 08-05-2015

Since attending a Storm Trysail Club Safety at Sea seminar I have been a proponent of the Quick-stop method, which is quite similar to the OP's original description here. When a COB occurs, you simply tack, leaving jibsheets or spinnaker sheets where they are. This stops the boat and keeps you close to the victim. Clearing headsails can happen, but you sail back to the victim with the main, and maneuver according to conditions and your vessel's handling characteristics to pick them up. We did this with the spinnaker up the first time, and were back at our "victim" cushion in 45 seconds. Time improved after that, regardless of point of sail or sails hoisted.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in