Open CPN 4.0 question--what am I missing here? - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-14-2016 Thread Starter

Open CPN 4.0 question--what am I missing here?

I don't know if I'm looking at this correctly, but re: the magnetic variation settings in in the options>display>units dialog box--
In 'Assumed Magnetic Variation' the box calls for entering westerly variation as a positive number: "(+W, -E)".
But adding a pos. number for westerly variation doubles the variation that's displayed in the course bearings.
In seeming contradiction, the online manual says, "As usual, positive values are also called 'easterly variation' , and negative values are also described as 'westerly variation.'"
Yet, in navigation W variation is regarded as positive, as it's added to T to get M ("Add West Down").
So it would seem that in the 'units' box, you'd enter W variation as (-) and E variation as (+), the opposite of what they tell you to do. And when I did, the bearings came out right.
This may simply be a typo, or else I'm missing something that's obvious to anyone but me, who could never learn right from left to begin with.
Has anyone else noticed this?
John V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-16-2016

Re: Open CPN 4.0 question--what am I missing here?

All I know is I turn on my $25 ipad app and it works, with all East Coast charts, out of the box. I've never even read the directions. OpenCpn gives me a headache.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-16-2016

John,

Go to the Cruisers Forum with your question.
They have threads devoted to Open CPN.

Bob

I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

post #4 of 10 Old 03-05-2016 Thread Starter

Sorry for not replying soone--thank you for the responses.
I posted my question on the OpenCPN FB page and got a response from them the same day. Apparently the statement in Opencpn's dialog box is just ambiguously worded. So it was an easy fix--I just ignored it.
I don't have an ipad--I use remanufactured Dell semi-rugged laptops (ATGs) and a cheap hockey-puck GPS. I've been very happy with OCPN and NOAA raster charts to date, though it's the only nav software I've ever used so I too might like others better. I'm always impressed though at the things this software can do, and at no cost other than a voluntary contribution.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-06-2016

OpenCPN is an extraordinary piece of software!

It is free. It is open source. It is crowd created. There is an extensive support. It works with many chart formats. It can be connected to a number of external equipment as autopilot, AIS, radar, weather maps ...

And so on. There is much to like and little not to like.

OpenCPN is also available on Android, if one now wants to use pads/tablets for navigation.

It requires very little of the user, install the sw, download some charts and you are ready to go. The ones which gets a headache of this should stay with their apples.

There are some few commercial sw that is on the same level or better. Fugawi and Nobeltec are examples of this.
Then there is an endless amount of specific solutions as the Navionics has, an added a navigation program on both Apple (iOS) and Android. These can often just do one thing: use as an embedded plotter without connecting any external equipment.

Another class of sw are the extended hobby projects, similar in many aspects to OpenCPN and eg Fugawi. Often works good, many prefer these. They do not, however, have to potential of OpenCPN which development history is impressive and OpenCPN has the power of chaning the eco-system just as Linux did (but Unix failed to do!).

/J

Last edited by Jaramaz; 03-06-2016 at 02:31 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-06-2016

I have openCPN on my mac I use it basically to plot my positions have all the NOAA charts but once I get past Bermuda I'm blind until about a half day out of Culebra. Does anybody know of charts you can get for a mac that cover the Caribbean, South and central American coasts for opencpn?
post #7 of 10 Old 03-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by VallelyJ View Post
..... Apparently the statement in Opencpn's dialog box is just ambiguously worded......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaramaz View Post
...It requires very little of the user, install the sw, download some charts and you are ready to go. The ones which gets a headache of this should stay with their apples......
I'm glad you like OpenCPN, but it's far from requiring little of the user, if your comparison is to modern plug and play.

I've previously posted my saga of trying to get OpenCpn to recognize the USB gps dongle on my lifebook. Nightmare with baud rates, reading instructions, asking questions on the forum (just like this OP's thread), etc.

Next thing I know, for the price of a few beers, I'm up and running on an iPad with zero intervention or instruction or questions. Things are changing, expectation are higher. All industries apply.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-06-2016

My limited experience with OpenCPN has been pretty good. I installed on my Windows 10 laptop and was able to find charts to download. I then remembered my old handheld Garmin GPS - I dug it out, found it had an actual USB port, so scrounged a cable and plugged it in to the laptop. I think I had to point OpenCPN to the correct USB port, but then my actual GPS position appeared on the screen - no baud rates to set or anything else. I was pleasantly surprised with OpenCPN - at least so far.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7el View Post
My limited experience with OpenCPN has been pretty good. I installed on my Windows 10 laptop and was able to find charts to download. I then remembered my old handheld Garmin GPS - I dug it out, found it had an actual USB port, so scrounged a cable and plugged it in to the laptop. I think I had to point OpenCPN to the correct USB port, but then my actual GPS position appeared on the screen - no baud rates to set or anything else. I was pleasantly surprised with OpenCPN - at least so far.
Same here; install on windows 8 and download some charts from NOAA. With OpenCPN 4.2 it also came a chart downloader tab, which makes it much easier, though I like more raster NOAA charts than vector type for my laptop (don't know why). I have a handheld Garmin 78sc which work with the USB port in OCPN, just follow one webpage tutorial for it, that I'm still not able to place the link...and your position appears on screen. Great! One problem, maybe it works for you k7el, I have troubles uploading into the GPS waypoints and routes. Any ideas?

PD. I havel also installed in my linux/ubuntu partition: maps work great, but conecting the GPS through the USB is quite a pain in the brains.

Best

Last edited by cascoamarillo; 03-11-2016 at 01:26 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascoamarillo View Post
Same here; install on windows 8 and download some charts from NOAA. With OpenCPN 4.2 it also came a chart downloader tab, which makes it much easier, though I like more raster NOAA charts than vector type for my laptop (don't know why). I have a handheld Garmin 78sc which work with the USB port in OCPN, just follow one webpage tutorial for it, that I'm still not able to place place link...and your position appears on screen. Great! One problem, maybe it works for you k7el, I have troubles uploading into the GPS waypoints and routes. Any ideas?

PD. I havel also installed in my linux/ubuntu partition: maps work great, but conecting the GPS through the USB is quite a pain in the brains.

Best
this is the link I mentioned:
Connecting Garmin 78sc to OpenCPN | Boat Babble

Yeah, ten posts!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in