Ship Station License and MMSI - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-20-2016 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 381
Thanks: 40
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Ship Station License and MMSI

Sorry in advance if this is posted somewhere else, but I haven't found it. I need to get an MMSI number that is good for outside the US (primarily Canada, but also planning for the future and possibly other countries as well).

I believe that I need a Ship Station license (FCC form 605) and a Schedule B (for the MMSI). I have not been able to find the fee information on the FCCs website (that site is about as clear as mud). The only thing I can find is a mention on BoatUS website that says a Ship Station license is $215 for a 10 year license.

Am I applying for the correct license? Does anyone have the direct link for the fee schedule on the FCC website, so that I have up to date info on the fees? Thanks.
elliowb is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 03-21-2016
Senior Member
 
midwesterner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,045
Thanks: 6
Thanked 49 Times in 48 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
I found this Coast Guard site explaining more about mmsi numbers

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtMmsi

It seemed fairly clear.
midwesterner is online now  
post #3 of 12 Old 03-21-2016 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 381
Thanks: 40
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Ship Station License and MMSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
I found this Coast Guard site explaining more about mmsi numbers

Maritime Mobile Service Identity

It seemed fairly clear.
Thanks. I've seen that page and similar ones on BoatUS. However, what I can't find, at least on the FCC site, is the actual fee. It is not listed on form 605 (that would be too obvious). It's buried somewhere on the FCC site, I expect.
elliowb is online now  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 03-21-2016
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Ship Station License and MMSI

I used the procedure this site. Old information but worked, at the time $220 total. Offshore Store - FCC License

Last edited by adki110; 03-21-2016 at 10:20 AM. Reason: clarify
adki110 is online now  
post #5 of 12 Old 03-21-2016
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: San Pedro, CA
Posts: 285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 20
 
Re: Ship Station License and MMSI

And don't forget to get your restricted radio operator's license. Was $60, but I believe it was increased to $65. And you will find that the process is on-line now. Makes it very easy to get this done.
windward54 is online now  
post #6 of 12 Old 03-21-2016
landofrainandgray
 
joyinPNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 105
Thanks: 11
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: Ship Station License and MMSI

Here's how to do it. I recently did it and had questions and actually called them and had a follow up email from a representative who was very helpful:

FCC Gettysburg, PA 877-480-3201 opt 2 Universal Licensing System
(ULS) Hotline, now called "Licensing Support Center" - for questions & personal assistance

http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls - to access the following necessary forms, by number

Form 160 (FRN) FCC reg # - free - personal ID good for life - for FCC system use only - must have/get one to do business w/ FCC [ https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/regEntityType.do ]

http://transition.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605.pdf ]

Need following addenda to the Form 605
Sched B gets your vessel an internationally recognized & accessible MMSI - free - use same MMSI with AIS and (generally) all DSC radios onboard
[ http://transition.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605b.pdf ]

Sched E (rrtop)(RR) - permit to use a marine radio $65 - your personal permit, good for life (Note distinction: vessel needs LICENSE; you need PERMIT)
[ http://transition.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605e.pdf ]

Form 1070Y (fee schedule) - just to verify the prices above
[ http://transition.fcc.gov/Forms/Form1070/1070y.pdf ]
Form 159 (Remittance Advice form) tells FCC how to allocate funds
[ http://transition.fcc.gov/Forms/Form159/159.pdf ]

It is a lot easier than it looks and if you just follow it step by step, it makes more sense. I got my license within a week.

Good luck!

Joy
Folie a Deux
PNW

Last edited by joyinPNW; 03-21-2016 at 12:25 PM. Reason: some links were left off when I cut and pasted from a saved MMSI email
joyinPNW is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 03-21-2016
Cruiser
 
wrwakefield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Wrangell Island, Alaska
Posts: 244
Thanks: 9
Thanked 44 Times in 40 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Ship Station License and MMSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliowb View Post
Sorry in advance if this is posted somewhere else, but I haven't found it. I need to get an MMSI number that is good for outside the US (primarily Canada, but also planning for the future and possibly other countries as well).

I believe that I need a Ship Station license (FCC form 605) and a Schedule B (for the MMSI). I have not been able to find the fee information on the FCCs website (that site is about as clear as mud). The only thing I can find is a mention on BoatUS website that says a Ship Station license is $215 for a 10 year license.

Am I applying for the correct license? Does anyone have the direct link for the fee schedule on the FCC website, so that I have up to date info on the fees? Thanks.
elliowb,

You have already received all the info you need to pursue your new MMSI [and related licenses] from the FCC in this thread.

One thing I didn't see mentioned- and I don't know if it is relevant in your situation- is if you have existing electronics [e.g. VHF DSC radio(s), AIS transponder, etc.] that are already programmed with an MMSI, you need to determine how to get each piece reprogrammed with your new MMSI. [Some equipment must be sent back to the factory or authorized dealer for such, others allow you to input a new #, but only once, etc...]

If the above applies, and the old MMSI was originally issued by the FCC [i.e., is an Int'l MMSI#] you can request to keep that MMSI number- avoiding the hassles of having to reprogram existing equipment.

We did this when we bought our current boat a couple of years ago, and it was quite painless.

In case this is useful.

Cheers!

Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wrwakefield is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 03-21-2016
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,645
Thanks: 11
Thanked 253 Times in 248 Posts
Rep Power: 15
   
Re: Ship Station License and MMSI

Yes. The folks at the FCC's licensing division are VERY helpful and they will have current pricing information.

One note, on the ship's station license, check off everything that you might ever have on the boat. If it isn't there now (i.e. radar) still check it off, so you don't have to refile and pay again if you add something in future.
hellosailor is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 03-21-2016 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 381
Thanks: 40
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Ship Station License and MMSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinPNW View Post
Here's how to do it. I recently did it and had questions and actually called them and had a follow up email from a representative who was very helpful:

FCC Gettysburg, PA 877-480-3201 opt 2 Universal Licensing System
(ULS) Hotline, now called "Licensing Support Center" - for questions & personal assistance

http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls - to access the following necessary forms, by number

Form 160 (FRN) FCC reg # - free - personal ID good for life - for FCC system use only - must have/get one to do business w/ FCC [ https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/regEntityType.do ]

http://transition.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605.pdf ]

Need following addenda to the Form 605
Sched B gets your vessel an internationally recognized & accessible MMSI - free - use same MMSI with AIS and (generally) all DSC radios onboard
[ http://transition.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605b.pdf ]

Sched E (rrtop)(RR) - permit to use a marine radio $65 - your personal permit, good for life (Note distinction: vessel needs LICENSE; you need PERMIT)
[ http://transition.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605e.pdf ]

Form 1070Y (fee schedule) - just to verify the prices above
[ http://transition.fcc.gov/Forms/Form1070/1070y.pdf ]
Form 159 (Remittance Advice form) tells FCC how to allocate funds
[ http://transition.fcc.gov/Forms/Form159/159.pdf ]

It is a lot easier than it looks and if you just follow it step by step, it makes more sense. I got my license within a week.

Good luck!
I was trying to apply using paper applications, and it wasn't at all clear. This time, following your instructions, I was able to get the ULS system to work. Much, much easier. It pretty much walks one through the system. Even the payment system is a piece of cake with the ULS. Thank you for the detailed instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
elliowb,

You have already received all the info you need to pursue your new MMSI [and related licenses] from the FCC in this thread.

One thing I didn't see mentioned- and I don't know if it is relevant in your situation- is if you have existing electronics [e.g. VHF DSC radio(s), AIS transponder, etc.] that are already programmed with an MMSI
Thank you for the extra information. I'm replacing all my electronics, so everything is new and no MMSI numbers have been input yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Yes. The folks at the FCC's licensing division are VERY helpful and they will have current pricing information.

One note, on the ship's station license, check off everything that you might ever have on the boat. If it isn't there now (i.e. radar) still check it off, so you don't have to refile and pay again if you add something in future.
Thanks, I did that. I do expect in the not to distant future to add radar, so that is helpful.

I think I'm all set. Should be able to sail over to Canada later this summer. That will be my first big trip, out of sight of land, at least for a little while. After all, it is only Lake Erie. Thanks for all the advice!!
elliowb is online now  
post #10 of 12 Old 03-22-2016
Cruiser
 
wrwakefield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Wrangell Island, Alaska
Posts: 244
Thanks: 9
Thanked 44 Times in 40 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Ship Station License and MMSI

In case you weren't already aware- and if it applies to your vessel....

One last thought unrelated to your original question about MMSI, but related to your mention of going back and forth between US and Canada [as we frequently do...]

If you are a US flagged vessel 30 ft or more in length, you will need the Customs Decal [They will charge you for one when you re-enter the US, so it may be easier to get one in advance...]

I mention this just in case...

Cheers!

Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wrwakefield; 03-22-2016 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Corrected original '...over 30 ft...' to '...30 ft or more...'
wrwakefield is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ship's radio license. Sailor1988 General Discussion (sailing related) 3 12-25-2015 03:25 PM
FCC station license. jerryrlitton General Discussion (sailing related) 7 04-16-2015 10:17 PM
mmsi numbers, ship radio and hand held VHF BarryL General Discussion (sailing related) 13 04-08-2014 11:43 AM
Canadians: Station License or not? Ritchard Gear & Maintenance 25 03-26-2013 03:09 PM
VHF Station License geohan General Discussion (sailing related) 4 07-01-2004 06:29 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome